The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Arizona Overhaul

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Arizona Overhaul

Post by John Young »

Andy, on the 13 September, you asked a question in a way that I wouldn't object to. You wrote the question as:

do you plan to overhaul Phoenix Sky Harbor and Tucson?

Brent replied to you in a polite and informative way.

If you make a statement instead of a question, eg:

Maybe after this you can do a Florida overhaul Texas overhaul etc

it makes a presumption that your wants should take priority. Brent hasn't risen to your post, but rest assured he knows very well what's involved time and effort-wise with a statement like that. In reality, you don't know what you really want - back to Japan, Phoenix, Tuscon, Florida, amongst others.

New packages have only been out for 5 minutes, yet you are constantly wanting more. Just explore what's already there first and allow us time to recover before we move on to something new. A few thanks, rather than kicking designers here in the teeth (the second time you've done that recently), would also get you better credit.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Andy, the short answer is that no, I won't be doing any other state "overhauls"

The long answer, and I may be a little overly verbose here to pull back the corner a bit and how a development cycle, and this project in particular plays out. In the first post, I expressed that the intent was never originally to do an "overhaul project", but this whole thing is actually the result of out of control mission creep. The original plan actually was only to do Silverbell AHP. You will notice that in the first post in this thread, the scenery for Siverbell is at a 95% complete stage... at the beginning of July. Three months ago. Work actually started on the project in May. Six months ago. If you roll back the calendar six months and look at what John and I were working on then, you can figure out why Silverbell was chosen. UH-72s. We were wrapping up doing Ft. Polk, Davison AAF and the unit at Cecil and wanted to push some UH-72s to the west coast.

So, how did we get where we are now form that plan? Flight planning. Silverbell has just over 50 helicopters, and I didn't really have anywhere to send them. So we added Papago AHP in Phoenix and the Boeing helicopter factory. Now we had five locations to fly to (three main bases and two staging/training fields), but we have surged up to almost 90 helicopters to slip among those locations. The situation hadn't improved. One of the fixes was to overhaul and update Gila Bend Aux AF. Well, it turns out that UK AH-64 pacakage uses Gila Bend Aux AF, so that didn't actually free us up and flight plan slots.... but if instead of just doing Gila Bend Aux AF we did the entire Goldwater Range, which opened up a lot of flight plan slots. At the same time, we realized that we could fix some of the traffic patterns at Davis Monthan by moving all the HH-60 flights onto their own AFCAD file, and this would open up even more flight plan slots for the Army helicopters.

So now, we have 90ish helicopters flying to 10 locations. Getting better, but still needing improvement. That's when Libby AAF and the Yuma Proving Grounds got added to the project, adding 4 more flight planning locations.

Throw in a couple random squadrons of repaints and a massive A-10 project in the middle of that and you end up six months into a project.

The end is near though. Once I put the finishing touches on Castle Dome, the Yuma Proving Grounds project will go to the testers, the flight plans can be finished for the original Army Helicopters component and that will go to testing shortly after. Unfortunately, I have been almost constantly on the road for the last three weeks and I can't do scenery work well on the road. That's why I have been working mostly on paints and flight plans lately... The civilan UH-60s and our ninja release of the 303rd FS with VMA-214 and VMFA-121 going up by the weekend.

Oh, and by the way, you already asked this question back on page 2 of the thread:
andypoppens wrote: 27 Jul 2017, 22:50 Plan to do overhauls for more states Brent

So, what is next? Well, two days ago I showed John a prototype of things to come in regards to Japan. We have to play the long game on that though, so I will let your imaginations run wild as to what new, never seen in Japan thing we may have in store for that. I do have a firm scenery plan in mind for the next project. To most people it will be obscure. To crayon eaters it will both be beloved and reviled. Some people who have gone through my recent flight plan files may already have a clue what it is. It will introduce and all new level or never before realized suck into tactical jet and close air support training.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I can't really give you examples, it is impossible to work out in advance any given situation.

I have given you one and you know the situation. You have to learn and adapt from that one. It is something you can't teach. Each person on this planet learns how to interact with other people by doing it and learning from their mistakes. If you are smart you also learn from other peoples mistakes as well.

Generally speaking there are a few things that help.
1. Never demand.
2. Listen to someones answer.
3. Try to be positive to somebody, especially if there are issues with something.
4. If you can't be positive, be neutral.
5. Accept a situation you can't control.
6. Be respectful.

I am sure that other people here can probably come up with a couple of dozen more but if you are able to apply only those 6 you won't go far wrong in life.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

I have sent up two new components to this project that should show up in the Hangar with the next update:

1) A paint and flight plan package for VMA-214 at MCAS Yuma to represent the current aircraft assignments and the new AV-8B paint scheme

2) A small paint and flight plan package for the C-41As in service with USASOC at Laguna AAF and Simmons AAF.

SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by SeanG »

clickclickdoh wrote: 12 Oct 2017, 13:42 .... Some people who have gone through my recent flight plan files may already have a clue what it is. It will introduce and all new level or never before realized suck into tactical jet and close air support training.
Oh... now colour me interested!

SeanG
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

I love the odd ball one off's like these C-41's. Never knew the Army even had them!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

I’d never even heard of the C-41 until I saw that picture Brent what is it a military version of
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

C-41As are Casa 212-200s. The Army ones were inherited from the USAF.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Nicknamed the aviocar Brent
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

MIKE JG wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 20:21 I love the odd ball one off's like these C-41's. Never knew the Army even had them!
Looking back, should have taken that assignment to get into the C-27J and Casa. Very cool to have them painted up.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

During the testing phase for Laguna AAF, we found an updated picture with the revised C-27J ramp, so:

The C-27Js were supposed to replace the C-41As, but there are current pictures showing them operating next to each other. So, we've have produced both.
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Just saw a tweet from AMARG that the last C-27J has been regenerated and put back into service which is great news.
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

May the Hangar admins forgive me...

I have sent the following to the Hangar today:

Yuma Proving Groung /Laguna AAF package
Arizona Army Helicopter package
USASOC C-27J paints and flightplans

That marks the end of the officially "planned" parts of the Arizona Overhaul. Of course, with John working up the F-35, you can probably guess that there will be more Arizona projects coming.
volador
Captain
Captain

Post by volador »

Many thanks Brent.
Miguel
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by paul day »

Hi Brent.
Just downloaded the Arizona Army Helicopter package and the file UH-60 "texture=Silverbell 81-23591" for FSX is empty.

Regards Paul Day.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Here is a link to the missing FSX texture:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/9l4gs5h6 ... -23591.zip

If one of the admins could slip it into the download when they have time, I would be super thankful.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Done.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Another thanks for these new packages.
I've found some bushes on the runway at AZ38.

Thanks, Giorgio
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

The bushes on Rittenhouse. AZ38 are a feature, not a bug. It is an overgrown and dilapidated location. Only a couple hundred feet of the runway is used for helicopter operations and clear of scrub.
andypoppens
Captain
Captain

Post by andypoppens »

Brent what MKAI C-27 file do I move the USASOC paints to? AMI FAM HAF Lithuania or SBANG