The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows Update

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
plumber
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Windows Update

Post by plumber »

My PC is running Windows 7, recently have been unable to connect to Windows Update, it just hangs, have to use cnt/alt/delete to remove it. Anyone any idea's please?
BR Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Windows Update

Post by Firebird »

Yep. A search on the net revealed a bug in Windows 7. Apparantly a file has an expiry date of Dec 3 2017.
The answer is to set your PC date to before that date and check again. A replacement file is downloaded when you check.

See here http://www.techradar.com/news/windows-7 ... f-the-ball
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Thanks Steve, sorted, most appreciated. Happy New Year to you.
BR
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Re a further query that I would like advise on please, Windows Update keeps telling me of a NVIDEA Security update (Windows 7). Should I install it?
Brian H
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Is it really nvidea or is it nvidia?
If you have an nvidia card and it is windows update telling you then probably yes.
If it has only recently come up then it might be related to the security issues that become common knowledge this week.

If you think it might be driver related then you could always download the latest driver for 7 yourself and see if the update goes away.

Don't forget 7 is no longer supported. You will only get security patches from now on. I did a search for nvidea security update and nothing is found, but there was an nvidia security update dated May 15.

If you are using a driver older than that date then I would update the driver.
Steve
plumber
Captain
Captain

Post by plumber »

Ok thanks Steve.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Post by VulcanDriver »

Thanks also Steve just done my PC and I have had a few updates installed.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Post by mikewmac »

plumber wrote: 06 Jan 2018, 13:33 Re a further query that I would like advise on please, Windows Update keeps telling me of a NVIDEA Security update (Windows 7). Should I install it?
Brian H
Brian,

I'm also running Windows 7 and have had this persistent Windows Update NVIDIA update notification for a while now, but it is for a driver update released in October 2017, not a security update. I've been getting these types of NVIDIA driver update notifications for years, but, since the only time I installed one from Windows Update I had problems and had to revert back to my previous NVIDIA driver version, I now never install them when notified by Windows Update. If I want to update my NVIDIA drivers I always download and install them myself.
    Mike M.
    plumber
    Captain
    Captain

Post by plumber »

Mike, the same for me I had the same issues that is why I raised the query. Have today did a NVIDIA update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Delboy99
    Captain
    Captain

Post by Delboy99 »

I've had similar problems with a Nvidia driver update that wouldn't install for several days. I installed all of the optional windows updates one at a time, then the Nvidia installed ok. No problems with it so far.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Windows Update (Windows 7)

Post by John Young »

Could somebody with Windows 7 64 bit please attach a copy of your wuauclt.exe file please? It's in the windows/System32 folder. Ideally updated after the latest round of Microsoft updates. It should be small enough to post, but it might need zipping anyway.

I'm trying to find out why my Microsoft Update no longer work after the latest patches. I just want to compare the file with mine.

John
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Re: Windows Update (Windows 7)

Post by Firebird »

John, is it the same that was mentioned in this thread? http://www.militaryaiworks.com/forums/2 ... es#p182131

Set your date back before Dec 3 2017 and update. A new file will be downloaded and you should be OK, and can set it back to today.
    Steve
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry I should have noticed the other thread. Perhaps Greg can merge them.

I'm sure it's the same problem.

I've tried the date trick but that didn't work. I also tried the other suggested fix - to install Microsoft Silverlight to bring back the option in WUD to "check for updates to other Microsoft products" (which is missing from my settings) and uncheck it. That didn't work either.

I don't know what to try next. That's 5 hours wasted today.

John
    Last edited by Greg on 15 Jan 2018, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Topics merged
    Redtail
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by Redtail »

John, I have also been tied up with this Windows update issue. I have done the date change and downloaded the Microsoft Silverlight.
    However I also had a couple of MS office security updates which appeared before Christmas which I had not installed.
    These have been installed but nothing else showed up as having been installed at the same time.
    I did a search to see if there was a way of finding out if these downloads had solved the problem, but nothing came up on the net.
    The only thing I found was that all the main AV software firms should have added/altered a line in the registry to allow the MS
    files to get through.I have ESET and the line in my registry has been changed as stated on their web site.
    The only thing I can say is that now when I do an update check now I do get the MS Silverlight file plus a Creative sound card update.
    Having read about the silverlight file I decided to remove it because I would never use it and hence it is showing up again.
    This did show at least that the MS update was working rather than giving me the error file message again.
    It would be nice to know if there is a way of finding out if I/we have been successful with this issue.
    Mark.
    Redtail
    Second Lieutenant
    Second Lieutenant

Post by Redtail »

John,
    Ignore the registry change. That relates to the Intel processor bug problem. MS were meant to be getting the fix out
    for Windows 7 last Tuesday.Dealing with two PC problems at once seemed to have morphed into one !!!???%%%

Mark.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have my windows update screen working again and everything looks normal. However, I think downloads may be getting stuck somewhere and don't complete (error code 800706BF). I found two useful pages of advice that helped me get WUD functional again:

https://www.wintips.org/windows-update- ... ta-solved/

https://www.error.info/windows/update-800706ba.html

I can't be sure that WUD working properly or not because it has only found a single update - KB4055532, which is from 2014, but the download won't complete. It may be that I never had that one anyway because of a past problem. I can't check because solution 1 above removes the record of applied updates and I can't read the backup copy, although it doesn't remove the updates themselves. I'll need to wait until the next WUD release and see what happens.

John
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Was there something in particular that you were looking for, John?

As you no there are no updates any more for 7 only emergency security patches. is that what you were checking for?

If so you can download it from MS directly https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... e-meltdown
    Steve
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Nothing in particular Steve, but I just wanted to ensure that I don't miss any important security updates. They have been coming in at about once a month, but I've had 3 or 4 recently in quick succession before my WUD got wrecked. I think I will set it to notify me of updates and as you say, I can download them myself and ensure they go in.

John
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I may have disturbed my Windows Time entry in the Windows Services settings when I was trying to get my WUD to function. Could someone with Windows 7 just check this for me please:

Click the Windows start button and in the search field type "services.msc". When the screen appears, scroll down the list of services and for the Windows Time entry, let me know what settings you have for "Status", Startup Type" and "Logon As" please.

Thanks.

John