The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows Update

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows Update

Post by Firebird »

John,
It is the same as W10 in that it should be running and automatic startup.
The logon might be different on W10 it is set to Local Service with your windows password.
Steve
Redtail
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by Redtail »

John,
As I said before am still not sure if I am working correctly yet.However my service settings are
Status; Blank.Startup Type: Manual, Log on As:Local Service.
I hope that may help you.
Mark.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Steve's settings make sense, but I don't think they are right, at least for Windows 7. Mark's settings, I've seen in an article I found on the net and I think are correct, but don't make sense to me if Windows Time isn't running, unless it's triggered by a program when needed.

Could some body provide a third set of readings please?

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

I have: Status= Stopped, Startup Type= Manual, Log on As= This Account - Local Service.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Many thanks. I'll run with that.

John
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

John,

We have 3 PC's and a Laptop on our home network running Windows 7, 2 with W7 Pro and 2 with W7 Home. The Windows Time service on all 4 has Status: Blank, Startup Type: Manual and Log on As: Local Service.

All 4 are setup to notify us when updates are available and let us choose which ones to download and install. We have never had a lapse in receiving update notifications, downloading them and installing them. Included in these updates are those for Windows 7, other MS software that we use and software from other suppliers that we use. However, we have seen less Windows 7 updates, but the updates for other software seem to be at the same level.

Hope this helps.
    Mike M.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike. I certainly have 20 or so Office 2010 updates notified. Just wish I could download them and install them automatically.

John
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

John Young wrote: 18 Jan 2018, 15:34 Thanks Mike. I certainly have 20 or so Office 2010 updates notified. Just wish I could download them and install them automatically.

John

John,

On my relatively old laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, I have intermittently experienced very long update download and install times to the point where occasionally they never finish. I usually wait a day or so and open Windows Update manualy and try again.

I'm now attempting to come up to speed on the Meltdown and Spectre problems with OS's, Browsers and Firmware and as a result just finished assuring that all our Windows 7 machines already had the special registry key present that assures any Windows Updates included in the Security Monthly Quality Rollups for Windows 7 64 bit Systems that address these will both function and not cause any BSOD's. Fortunately all of ours did and we have not experienced any slowdowns or BSOD's so far.
      Mike M.