The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX/P3D Conversion Packages

Check here for official announcements from MAIW.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

FSX/P3D Conversion Packages

Post by Greg »

We are proud to bring you our first small steps in converting our large legacy of miltary AI packages towards FSX and P3D. Now available in the hangar are downloads for the HTAI F-16's and JAI P-3's with every texture ever released in our official packages.

Read more here.
airplanedoktor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: FSX/P3D Conversion Packages

Post by airplanedoktor »

Thank you guys so much for this! :D

Cheers!

Darren
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

This is awesome! THANK YOU!

I know how difficult this process is from trying to start some myself. I had to put it away due to time constraints that I know we ALL have. I just wanted to say Thank you to all of the modelers and conversion team for moving these into P3Dv4. I'm looking forward to the future!

P3Dv4 has so much to offer and it has truly changed my flight sim experience as a flight sim user dating back to the early 90s! It will be nice to get military AI back in the sim even if it takes a long time. Thanks!

Brandon
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

I had a chance to checkout the package in P3Dv4.1 and I noticed the following:

1 - The aircraft.cfg file is missing the [Radios] entry. This is required for the Aircraft to communicate with ATC. Otherwise it starts up but never moves. It's easy to add but not apparent until you realize none of your AI is moving. The required entry is as follows:

[Radios]
Audio.1 = 1
Com.1 = 1, 1
Com.2 = 1, 1
Nav.1 = 1, 1, 1
Nav.2 = 1, 1, 0
Adf.1 = 1
Transponder.1 = 1
Marker.1 = 1

2 - The lights on the F-16 are blinking and I don't believe this is supposed to be happening. I have linked to a short YouTube video showing this issue. Any thoughts or ideas? The dynamic lighting of P3Dv4 does look really nice as the F-16s taxi by the parked aircraft.

Brandon
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you for doing this! I have 3 questions about the P-3 Orion.

1. The read me say that to have cabin lights working you must add the included alpha channel in all your repaints. Since this is a military plane and don't have cabin lights I don't need to do anything with the alpha channel right?

2. Is the Jacksonville Orions updated to reflect the current state with the P-8's? When I installed the P-8's in FS9 I deleted some of the P-3's that were no longer at Jacksonville.

3. Can I keep both prop textures in the texture folder? Or do I need to pick one?
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

thetford569 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 02:22 1 - The aircraft.cfg file is missing the [Radios] entry.
Probably an oversight indeed from our part. We'll fix it in an update
thetford569 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 02:222 - The lights on the F-16 are blinking and I don't believe this is supposed to be happening.
You have never witnessed a real F-16 during night ops then. They're like Christmas trees. :wink:

Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Joseph29 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 03:37 1. The read me say that to have cabin lights working you must add the included alpha channel in all your repaints. Since this is a military plane and don't have cabin lights I don't need to do anything with the alpha channel right?
Disregard the installation instructions in the original conversion readme (the txt file). Martin wanted to include it as a courtesy towards the conversion team, but he did all the leg work for you. All P-3 paints in the package have the correct alpha layer.
Joseph29 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 03:372. Is the Jacksonville Orions updated to reflect the current state with the P-8's? When I installed the P-8's in FS9 I deleted some of the P-3's that were no longer at Jacksonville.
No. This package includes all paints ever released. You'll have to go through the aircraft folders yourself and remove any aircraft you don't need.
Joseph29 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 03:373. Can I keep both prop textures in the texture folder? Or do I need to pick one?
Yes you can keep both. They serve different purposes.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks Greg.
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

Greg wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 09:33
thetford569 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 02:22 1 - The aircraft.cfg file is missing the [Radios] entry.
Probably an oversight indeed from our part. We'll fix it in an update
thetford569 wrote: 11 Jan 2018, 02:222 - The lights on the F-16 are blinking and I don't believe this is supposed to be happening.
You have never witnessed a real F-16 during night ops then. They're like Christmas trees. :wink:

Wow! You're right! They are blinking! And no I have not witnessed them close enough at night to notice that. I stand corrected and thanks for the detail!

Brandon
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

One more thing I have found now that I had more time to watch the models take off is the afterburner effect still is not working correctly in P3Dv4. I know this is an old effect and probably wasn't worked on or maybe couldn't have been modified. Anyway it's still showing up as a huge blob when the jet moves away. I don't know if anything can be done I just wanted to help show you what's happening in P3Dv4.1 - For now I will delete the afterburner effect like I did before when having this problem.

Here is a video showing the AB effect in P3Dv4.1 -

Brandon
pennkiwi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by pennkiwi »

THANK YOU!!!! Awesome!!! :D
What matters in life is to be committed to something greater than yourself.
aadschouten
Cadet
Cadet

Post by aadschouten »

Thank you thetford569 for the "Otherwise it starts up but never moves" solution
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

I started converting the NBAI F/A-18's. I won't do each and every loadout (there are over 30 in the Lemoore pack alone) but at least 1-3 of the most common used configurations per type (A, B, C, D, E, F). Once I have something presentable I will get in touch with Martin.
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

hschuit wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 14:24 I started converting the NBAI F/A-18's. I won't do each and every loadout (there are over 30 in the Lemoore pack alone) but at least 1-3 of the most common used configurations per type (A, B, C, D, E, F). Once I have something presentable I will get in touch with Martin.
Great news Henk, I'm tackling the F-22s (only 5 load outs there) and was going to look at the F-18s next so glad to hear you have them in your sights.

Gavin
pennkiwi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by pennkiwi »

I would be willing to work on a conversion package if I thought I could do it with my limited computer skills. Can you recommend any software that I could experiment with? If successful, I'd be glad to work on a package if given permission
Cheers
Ian
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

pennkiwi wrote: 02 Feb 2018, 18:33 I would be willing to work on a conversion package if I thought I could do it with my limited computer skills. Can you recommend any software that I could experiment with? If successful, I'd be glad to work on a package if given permission
Cheers
Ian
Ian,
If I can do it with my limited skills I am sure you can.
I suggest you start by reading the draft conversion instructions I created for the folks over at AIG
http://www.alpha-india.net/forums/index ... ic=25691.0

It is the approach I use to do conversions, Henk may have a better/different approach.

Feel free to PM me if you want more advice.

Gavin
pennkiwi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by pennkiwi »

Thanks Gavin. I will use the link and see if I think I can be of help. I'll get back to you with specific questions if it looks like it's something I can handle. Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of limited skills. I'm 72 and finding that although "old dogs" can "learn new tricks" it takes a long time and the tricks have to be pretty simple... :)
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

Ian,
All it really needs is a high tolerance for frustration :-)

I suggest you try starting with an easy model. The AIM CJ-200 is probably a good starter model. It has 1 unrecognized animation sequence for you to identify and no complex issues. Plus it is a model that we don't have approval to distribute so if you want it flying in P3D you need to do it yourself.

Gavin