The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Helicopter AI in P3D V4.2

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
Mark_Fox
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Helicopter AI in P3D V4.2

Post by Mark_Fox »

Additionally, v4.2 will be the first release to feature helicopter AI and helicopter autopilot capabilities.

http://pcsimulators.org/index.php/fligh ... -interview
jason99vmi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Re: Helicopter AI in P3D V4.2

Post by jason99vmi »

Mark_Fox wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 22:13
Additionally, v4.2 will be the first release to feature helicopter AI and helicopter autopilot capabilities.

http://pcsimulators.org/index.php/fligh ... -interview
Yeah updated to 4.2 last night and tested some things out. Went to NAS North Island to see how John's blackhawks would look there. They still taxiid to the runway and took off and landed from the runway. So nothing changed from what i could see. Maybe it was just fixes to the default helos in game to be used as AI.

I was assuming AI helos would just lift off correctly from their helo pad or parking spot.

Maybe the sim doesn't see John's blackhawks the same as the default AI. Don't know.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Actually the release of v4.2 will not change anything. The reason is that the helos are set up as aircraft so they will operate as aircraft in v4.2.
What needs to happen is the documentation be made available (SDK) on how to utilise helo AI and then the models have to have their fde altered.
Not only that but all the models would need to altered, i.e. have their animations removed, before you can take advantage of the new features. John may be more inclined to strip stuff out and release updates then make additions and release updates BUT it depends on what else he has planned and the inclination to go over old projects.

Reality is that only new projects may take advantage of the new release BUT they will not be compatible with any other sim release so it is something that AI helo makers with have to ponder on.
Steve
jason99vmi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by jason99vmi »

Yeah figured. Sounds wayyyy more trouble than its worth.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

In truth we don't know whether its more trouble than its worth, until we know how to use it and have tried it.
Can it be used for other thrust vectoring aircraft as well, like the V-22, Harrier etc.?

In essence we need info, followed by somebody with 4.2, who knows how to manipulate fdes, and then a 4.2 compatible model with no clever anims attached that can be used as a guinea pig.

Once a test subject has been adapted/produced only then we will know if it is worth it.
Steve
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

These items were in the notes as well. Anyone have more info.

1.Added support for ground based waypoint and wingman AI

2.Fixed issue where base AI could overwrite AI behavior states

3. Improved AI waypoint following
Barry
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Woogey »

Does anyone have any screenshots of the “New MH-60R and MH-60S” Models? I am not going to update until I know my Milviz, Simworks Studios, Aerosoft, and VRS Aircraft are going to work as well. I am curious about those two Helos though. My favorite helicopter of all time.

-Woog
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

btaylo24 wrote: 16 Feb 2018, 00:46 These items were in the notes as well. Anyone have more info.

1.Added support for ground based waypoint and wingman AI

2.Fixed issue where base AI could overwrite AI behavior states

3. Improved AI waypoint following
I can tell that you are itching to rewrite every flightplan that has ever been released. :lol:
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

"AI" is relative for LM. Apparantly the helo "AI" system and waypoints doesn't apply to the Traffic Toolbox (what we are using for "AI") but to some special waypoint "AI" system that is part of their SimDirector in the more professional versions of P3D.
btaylo24
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by btaylo24 »

Aww disappointing!

Was going to take up Steve's proposal of redoing all the flight plans!
Barry
jabloomf1230
Cadet
Cadet

Post by jabloomf1230 »

Greg wrote:"AI" is relative for LM. Apparantly the helo "AI" system and waypoints doesn't apply to the Traffic Toolbox (what we are using for "AI") but to some special waypoint "AI" system that is part of their SimDirector in the more professional versions of P3D.
The difference is between AI aircraft that are controlled by the default ATC (which fly BGL-based flight plans) and AI aircraft that are controlled programaticly by a 3rd party program, for example VOXATC. As best I can tell from looking at both the SDK and the release notes, only the latter type of AI was "improved" in 4.2. VOXATC does control helis but I've never watched them carefully to see how they take off and land. Now I'm curious.

The SDK also has examples of ASM files for both what it calls "legacy" and new turbine helicopters. They create different tables in the compiled AIR files but I have no idea what the significance is of this difference.
stovepipe707
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by stovepipe707 »

Mark_Fox wrote: 10 Feb 2018, 22:13
Hold up. Autopilot, (including auto hover) has been around for helo's for years. Am I misunderstanding you?
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

The autopilot they are referring to, has to do with the user changing positions to be a Door gunner for example. If you are firing a gun out the side of the helicopter, you might need an Ai Autopilot Flying the helicopter so it doesn’t go out of control.