The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

An interesting issue with the FSX converted HTAI F-16s

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

An interesting issue with the FSX converted HTAI F-16s

Post by tango234 »

I'm not sure whether this counts as an 'bug' or indeed how exactly it is caused so wasn't sure where to put it.

Basically, what appears to me to be the 2nd closest LOD on the converted HTAI F-16s seems to be invisible.

Using the fighters based at Andrews as an example, when I'm still a little way away (say, standard approach and doing a flypast down the eastern runway), I can see the F-16s parked on the ramp. As I get closer, they vanish. Completely. If they are on approach at the same distance I can still see their lights, but the aircraft itself is invisible. They only reappear when I get very close indeed ( a few hundred metres or less), which I assume is LOD1.

I'm not for a moment suggesting that those who did the massive job of converting everything go back and rework things again-that would be very unfair and the aircraft are otherwise fine, but I would like to at least try to understand what is going on here.

I'm having trouble taking screenshots, but if I manage I'll upload them.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: An interesting issue with the FSX converted HTAI F-16s

Post by John Young »

I've have them set up at Luke AFB. I didn't see the problem mentioned in my tests yesterday, but just to be sure I re-tested for visibility again this morning. The aircraft stayed visible at all distances, whether parked, taking-off or in the air. The thing that puzzled me is that nothing disappeared from the aircraft as I moved away and later LODs kicked in. The aircraft stayed the same from whatever distance. It was as if they were single LOD models.

I then went to FS9 to check the original models and the same thing happened there - no visible changes when zooming back.

Is that just brilliant LOD making?

John
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Well I'm glad it doesn't affect everyone, though that doesn't help narrow the issue down much :P.

Alright, some screenshots I took at a slightly modified version of the MAIW 1st anniversary airfield (the F16s are a random mix of 5 each from each of the 4 aircraft folders (C, C drag chute, D, D drag chute) :

Approaching-all F16s invisible-they are parked on the ramp on the right.

Coming into view now.

All visible:

Vanishing again:

First one has reappeared, last ones just about to vanish.

Visible-though invisible when slightly further away than these, and the ones on the top left aren't showing properly-you move away they vanish, you move closer they sort themselves out.

Going with all this its not the weather, time of day, afcad, or the aircraft textures ( I don't think).

I use FSX-SE with DX10 enabled and the DX10 fixer (https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com ... -purchase/)which has not yet caused me any issues. It could potentially be that having some kind of effect on the model, but then why does it only affect the F-16s? I'm lost :P.
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

Hi,
The only thing that I can think is that it is a DX10 issue (that is about the only thing different between your setup and mine). I tested in FSX-SE and P3Dv4 and didn't notice the issue.

There are only a couple of things that I can think of (and these are just wild shot in the dark thoughts).
1) I assume the texures you are using are DDS with mipmaps - try removing mipmaps and see if that changes the behaviour at all (no idea if this would make a difference or why)
2) what happens if you turn off the shadows on ground feature?
3) If you have skills in MCX you could try importing the model, deleting most of the lods (try leaving the 2nd from bottom and LOD1) and recompile. I don't know if this will work - you may lose all the animations since this model is very finicky about re-compiling. I am away from my flightsim PC for a while so I can't create a model for you to test with.

Thanks
Gavin
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Thanks very much for the input Gavin, I'll have a look and see what comes up. I've only managed to do basic things like converting object libraries with MCX so far so that bit might be beyond my abilities, but still, worth a look!

Sorry John, when I posted earlier I forgot to say thanks for taking the time to check :oops:.
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

Did you ever find a solution to this issue? I am having the same problem but with the JYAI F-15s that are supposed to be FSX Native. I don't have the issue with the HTAI F-16 conversions. Here is a post I just made about it: https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/79/17507

Brandon
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

I haven't yet, but haven't had time to look recently. I do intend to return to it however.
thetford569
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by thetford569 »

tango234 wrote: 28 Mar 2018, 09:45 I haven't yet, but haven't had time to look recently. I do intend to return to it however.
You can see in the post I made that John Young has figured out that there are FS9 models in one of the F-15 packages I was having the same symptoms as you. However if you are using the MAIW converted F-16 package I am not sure if it's the same problem.

Brandon