The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

F-35 Variants (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4)

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: F-35 Variants (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4)

Post by Firebird »

Thank you very much. We have to eliminate the obvious to get to the truth.
Steve
tbump34
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

Post by tbump34 »

Firebird wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 07:49 Thank you very much. We have to eliminate the obvious to get to the truth.
Happy to say that I was able to get everything up and running after doing a clean P3D reinstall. Must’ve been something corrupt or not installed correctly on my end. Thanks to all for the help.

R/
Tbump34
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I am glad you got it sorted but I am concerned that P3D could have been corrupted like that. A couple of people have had to do that to fix issues.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think I've modelled and painted everything there is F-35 delivery-wise (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4), according to the list that Brent produced for me from the Scramble database as at November 2017. The last paint I did was F-35A, AF-01 with the colourful scheme, which is based at Edwards. It's seen here in FSX in the company of F-35A's from Luke:

The exception are the 10 or so aircraft of the 31st and 422nd Test and Evaluation Squadrons at Edwards and Nellis respectively. These aircraft share the same “OT” tail code and it has been too difficult to determine which unit has which aircraft at which point in time. I may return for another go, but it might be with a bit of poetic license.

This is my control sheet for the F-35 project:

Everything is in place apart from the items marked with a "?". For these items, I'm awaiting the FS9 scenery so that I can see how it performs in FSX and P3Dv4. Where I can, I'll provide flatten and exclude files in the right format so the scenery can be used in those sim versions. For Iwakuni, Martin is kindly updating his coastline files for use in FSX and P3Dv4.

I'm just writing the F-35A manual at the moment and then I'll assemble the "A" and "B" zips. I am very much hoping that the outstanding scenery items will be completed in the next week for inclusion, if not I hope the contributors won't mind if they follow later. There's certainly enough for users to play with in the meantime.

John
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Foxbat »

Foxbat wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:53 Thx Mike, good answer, fully understood. I use the HTAI air file and cfg updated for FSX, from this forum. And to be honest, I'm like *very* tired of trying to fix effects myself, so the ball is yours. Not mine. I LIKE it that way :mrgreen:

Fox One me for this. I did NOT want to say "updated cfg"... simply that I use the new HTAI *models* :mrgreen:
Andrew
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

We are nearly there with the 4 remaining F-35 packages.

F-35A’s

With thanks to Giorgio, his scenery of Amendola (Italy) is complete, including the new Hangars from Mike and has been reported in Giorgio’s thread, this has been sent to the Hangar ready for the F-35B’s. I have the scenery working in all 3 sim versions and I’ll include the additional files in my upload. My thanks also to Andrew for completing the last part of the Norwegian elements. Those are all good to go too.

I have everything in place for the F-35A FS9 package. The final piece of the jig saw needed for the FSX and P3Dv4 version is a change to the traffic file in the HTAI F-16 conversion to enable the right number of aircraft to display at Luke and Hill AFB’s alongside the F-35A’s. This is in hand thanks to Greg and Steve.

F-35B’s

The F-35B’s just need the finishing touches to Hartwig’s Patuxant River FS9 scenery update. This is a real treat, not just because the scenery is very detailed, but because it uses 13 overlaid AFCADs to enable a variety of aircraft types and flight modes, some simultaneously. The activity around the ski jump area and the hover pads is particularly interesting. It would have been a shame if FSX and P3Dv4 users couldn’t see this, so I have spent a fair bit of this week working on the scenery so that it can now be used in the other sim versions. I was tempted to post some screen shots, but I think I will let Hartwig have the pleasure of doing that.

Brent has kindly finished the modification to the Iwakuni coastlines so his updated scenery now works with the F-35B’s in FSX and P3Dv4.

I’m now writing the final bits of the manuals and assembling the zips. I’d like to get at least the F-35A packages out for Easter, but please don’t hold me to that. It’s not a race, but a marathon relay with a lot of people here running hard and passing batons only when they can.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

It will be ready when its ready. Many thanks for taking on this huge project and enhancing our sim’s

They say patience is a virtue and I’m trying - but its hard !!
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Reggie
Captain
Captain

Post by Reggie »

Wow John, this will be much appreciated. With the Hornets, Superhornets, and C-17's coming soon as well, the platform is filling up fast.

Cheers and thank you,
Reggie
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Foxbat wrote: 21 Mar 2018, 17:41
Foxbat wrote: 02 Mar 2018, 20:53 Thx Mike, good answer, fully understood. I use the HTAI air file and cfg updated for FSX, from this forum. And to be honest, I'm like *very* tired of trying to fix effects myself, so the ball is yours. Not mine. I LIKE it that way :mrgreen:

Fox One me for this. I did NOT want to say "updated cfg"... simply that I use the new HTAI *models* :mrgreen:

Foxbat,

As I suspected my testing has demonstrated that the problem you were experiencing with the premature lighting and shutoff of the afterburner when using my fx_JYAI_F35_ab_P3Dv4.fx afterburner effect file with the converted HTAI F-16's was indeed caused by Henry's original FS9 HTAI F-16 FDE.

There is a new version of the MAIW conversion package for the HTAI F-16's coming out and this issue should be corrected in that package.

Thanks for pointing out this issue.
    Mike M.
    Foxbat
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Thanks Mike,

Let's have blue fire compared to "follow the smoke and find the Phantom"... or not? :-)
    Andrew
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Quick update.

The last part of the F-35 jig saw is Hartwig's Patuxant River update. His newly posted screen shots of the finished scenery in his Pax River thread are a must see:

https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/18/16771?start=80

I have the F-35A and F-35B (FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4) zips all loaded, the manuals written and screen shots taken ready for upload. I'm just checking through everything because they are complex packages and I'm to trying to ensure that instructions are clear and that I haven't left anything out.

John
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I am pleased to report that we’ve finally made it over the line. In addition to Hartwig's Patuxant River, the remaining 4 F-35 packs were sent for inclusion in the MAIW Download Hangar this morning. These comprise:

- F-35A’s (USAF and International) for FS9
    - F-35A’s (USAF and International) for FSX and P3Dv4
    - F-35Bs for FS9
    - F-35B’s for FSX and P3Dv4

These final 4 packages contain 209 aircraft with 11 model variations for 7 countries plus USAF, USN and USMC aircraft. 9 sceneries have been updated to accommodate the aircraft.

I’m extremely grateful to Steve (Firebird) for the enormous amount of work that went, systematically, into developing the FDE’s, particularly for the “B” variant flight modes. Also very many thanks to Brent, Hartwig, Jamie, Giorgio, Mike G and Andrew for the scenery updates and for their support generally.

Once you have the packages you want, please read the manuals. Aircraft installation is straight forward, but scenery requires a few additional steps, especially for FSX and P3Dv4. I hope I have included and explained everything clearly.

John
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Congrats on the release, John. I know how much time and effort went into this adventure.
    Steve
    gsnde
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

A great job done, John! And this is an extremely beautiful picture... Love it.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
    Martin
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin
    Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

In before anyone starts complaining they can't see them yet: please give us some time to process the packs since we've got a lot going on right now as you'll notice in the coming days.

Nice work John and team!
    Woogey
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Woohoo! Downloading as soon as they show in the downloads page. Thank you gentlemen for all your hard work, Enjoy your Holiday weekend!

Very Sincerely, -Woog
    Foxbat
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Thanks John and guys, for all the great fun with this, which also made me do my first upload here, the RNoAF updated HTAI F-16 package, with alternative ENOL FP for our first three F-35's. My updated Airports of Norway package will be out soon after the F-35A package, and I will link to it here.

John... hairy picture & congrats. I know what hard work is behind all this.
    Andrew
    pslinger
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant
    Version: FSX

Post by pslinger »

I am always amazed at the knowledge and talent of the MAIW contributors. Many thanks for sharing the fruits of your labor.

Paul
    Brian_Gladden
    Cadet
    Cadet

Post by Brian_Gladden »

Hey Mike M. are you going to do some Vermont Tails, or should I do it? I've been waiting for this for quite some time to get some 35's in the Vermont skies.
    Woogey
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Hey Brian I’ll answer for Mike, Vermont has not received any F-35’s in the real world. If you scroll up a few posts, you will see the list that John populated of the 235 Liveries that will be part of the package. This is the real world F-35 Fleet as it is known at the time of the package release.

-Woog