The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

F-35 Variants (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4)

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
mikewmac
MAIW Veteran
MAIW Veteran
Version: P3D

Re: F-35 Variants (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4)

Post by mikewmac »

Brian_Gladden wrote: 01 Apr 2018, 13:14 Hey Mike M. are you going to do some Vermont Tails, or should I do it? I've been waiting for this for quite some time to get some 35's in the Vermont skies.

Hi Brian,

I still use your VT ANG textures for Dino's flyable F-35A in P3D v4.2 and if you want to use those as a base for the artwork for some fantasy JYAI F-35A textures, why don't you do that and then share them with me when they are done. :wink:

As you probably know, I did a couple of personal fantasy MGAI F-35A textures for the VT ANG a couple of years ago guessing at what the serial numbers might be and how the tail art might look when we receive them in the fall of 2019 and those are shown below in my signature banner.

Unfortunately those models were only good for use in FS9, FSX and P3D through version 3.4 and I'm now using v4.2. As a result I'll be converting over to John's JYAI F-35A's in the very near future, but I think the verdict is still out on how the VT ANG will decorate the tails of their F-35A's. I not sure yet whether I'll try using what I have as a base for the artwork to create a couple of P3D v4.2 VT ANG fantasy textures for the JYAI F-35A's until the actual VT ANG F-35A's arrive and their actual paint schemes are revealed.

BTW...My sources are indicating that at least one F-35A will be in Burlington to be revealed to the public this summer, but it is probably too much to expect that it might have the VT ANG paint scheme.
    Mike M.
    Joseph29
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I just started to install the new planes and I noticed that some of the entries for VMFAT-211 and VMFAT-501 the callsign entry in the cfg file are atc_airline=COMBAT. Is the correct? Or is that a error?
    Joseph29
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Just noticed a error with VMFA-211. The cfg has it as VFMA-211, it's supposed to be VMFA-.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Joseph, it's a tiny mis-type, it doesn't alter the functionality of the traffic. If you want a different call sign just change it.

John
    Firebird
    MAIW Admin
    MAIW Admin
    Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Different units use different callsigns at different times. The original idea was so that anybody listening outside a base would not know the movements of a particular unit or indeed how many units were there.
    This is why in the RAF we used abase trigraph, 3 letters, that changed every 2 weeks followed by 2 numbers and the numbers we reused several times a day on big bases. Once a year we used to have a dedicated section of the RAF Police sit outside the base and listen for two days to see if they could determine the make up of the units/aircraft there.
    Anyway this practice seems to have died a death since the wall came down.

Any way, COMBAT has been recently used by an F-35 unit - VMFA-121.

If you want to know various callsigns one of the best sourses is a guy called Ron who issues a new list about once a month and has been doing so for since at least 2009. If you search for 'military callsign list' it is nearly always at the top of the search and is a pdf, these days but some of the older ones are word docs. The usual link is http://www.udxf.nl/MCL.pdf
    Steve
    Joseph29
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Joseph29 wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 05:47 Just noticed a error with VMFA-211. The cfg has it as VFMA-211, it's supposed to be VMFA-.
    John Young wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 07:28 Joseph, it's a tiny mis-type, it doesn't alter the functionality of the traffic. If you want a different call sign just change it.

John
    I know it's a mis-type. I just thought I would let you know.
    Joseph29
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Where can I find the traffic file for the F-35's based at Edwards? The only Edwards traffic file I found are the ones visiting Patuxent River.

From the readme: 5 F-35B’s of VMX-1 and 3 of the UK purchase, are operated from Edwards Air Force Base California. The base is also home to 6 F-35C’s of VX-9 that are included in the Part 1 package.

I looked in Part 1 and there is no traffic file for Edwards.
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Read the section of the manual on Edwards. No scenery, no traffic file. Quote "I’ll need to leave it to users to set up the Edwards F-35B’s as they wish". Same goes for the A's.

John
    Woogey
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant
    Version: MSFS

Post by Woogey »

I just got done reading the F-35B manual, and I did not find an answer there. For the P3d version of the F-35B, there is only the CTOL model with and Without Weapons. Will the FSX versions work in P3d like your other FSX Specific models? I assume that the Various VTOL, and STOVL version do not have afterburner effects, and this is the reason for a specific P3d version on the CTOL variant? Thank You gentlemen for this wonderful package!

-Woog
    petebramley
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Brilliant package John. You and your helpers have put together a fantastic package. I think you deserve an extended rest before considering another project. Thank you for your efforts. :D :D
    Pete B
    Retired and busier than ever !!
    Foxbat
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

I got a bit confused about the new F-16 package actually, because each aircraft has two air files. For P3D by trial and failure, use the "AI Only" ones for P3D. As those are listed in each [fltsim] section. Or not? At least the "AI only" air files are the newest, and that way I got my afterburners working.

Sorry for drifting, getting to the point:

I think the only birds for now using the new burner is the F-35A's plus the recently updated HTAI F-16's. Got all this straight after reading, checking cfg's and choosing the proper .air files.

OK had a few beers, hope I not added to confusion, cheers :-)

PS: Oh, and I'm just massively impressed with the new Luke AFB and seeing planes as long as my eyes can reach. Who says civil airports are the biggest counting planes. :smt003
    Andrew
    Joseph29
    Colonel
    Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

John Young wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 13:23 Read the section of the manual on Edwards. No scenery, no traffic file. Quote "I’ll need to leave it to users to set up the Edwards F-35B’s as they wish". Same goes for the A's.

John
    Thanks John. When I saw that part in the manual I thought that ment that there was just no scenery.
    Woogey
    First Lieutenant
    First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Ooh this is good to hear that the F-16’s got another update. I did not see this info, I was just testing Hill AFB before I left for work, and the F-16’s are Fire balls in P3d4. Also of course their Position lights exhibit the same expanding light effect that the burners do. The good news is, the F-35A’s look great on the Flight line at Hill.

-Woog
    John Young
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Woogey wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 17:26 For the P3d version of the F-35B, there is only the CTOL model with and Without Weapons. Will the FSX versions work in P3d like your other FSX Specific models? I assume that the Various VTOL, and STOVL version do not have afterburner effects, and this is the reason for a specific P3d version on the CTOL variant?

That's correct Woog, use the FSX native models for the non CTOL "B's". The CTOL model has the suffix "_AB" in the name because it uses the inbuilt afterburner.

John
    mins
    Captain
    Captain

Post by mins »

I applaud John and maiw team. They've done the great work again.

ROKAF has also rollout No.1 F35A. ROKAF will introduce a total of 40 planes. Additional 20s expected ...

I will also paint. ROKAF 001,002...more...

Thanks again very much.
    bismarck
    MAIW Developer
    MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

John, the F-35B is absolutely amazing!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    All the animation are fantastic, especially the movement of the jet exhaust.
    Also a big applause to Steve, for the FDE. :wink:
    A fantastic model of an ugly (at least for me) aircraft.

Thanks, Giorgio.
    mikewmac
    MAIW Veteran
    MAIW Veteran

Post by mikewmac »

Foxbat wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 22:36 I got a bit confused about the new F-16 package actually, because each aircraft has two air files. For P3D by trial and failure, use the "AI Only" ones for P3D. As those are listed in each [fltsim] section. Or not? At least the "AI only" air files are the newest, and that way I got my afterburners working.

Sorry for drifting, getting to the point:

I think the only birds for now using the new burner is the F-35A's plus the recently updated HTAI F-16's. Got all this straight after reading, checking cfg's and choosing the proper .air files.

OK had a few beers, hope I not added to confusion, cheers :-)

PS: Oh, and I'm just massively impressed with the new Luke AFB and seeing planes as long as my eyes can reach. Who says civil airports are the biggest counting planes. :smt003

Foxbat,

Sorry for the air file confusion. The original AI Lockheed F-16C.air file should not have been included in the package as it is no longer used and can be deleted. My new HTAI_F-16_Falcon_AI_ONLY.air file is the only one referenced in the aircraft.cfg files in any of the various v1.1 HTAI F-16 conversion packages and is therefore used exclusively.

My completely new and independently developed HTAI F-16 v3.1 FDE eliminates the taxiing, afterburner timing, takeoff and landing roll and VFR pattern problems experienced using the original HTAI F-16 FDE in FSX and especially in P3D v4.
      Mike M.
      Greg
      MAIW Admin
      MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Foxbat wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 22:36 I got a bit confused about the new F-16 package actually, because each aircraft has two air files. For P3D by trial and failure, use the "AI Only" ones for P3D. As those are listed in each [fltsim] section. Or not? At least the "AI only" air files are the newest, and that way I got my afterburners working.
      Woogey wrote: 04 Apr 2018, 23:21 Ooh this is good to hear that the F-16’s got another update. I did not see this info.
      Obviously, use the air file mentioned in the [fltsim] sections. The original air file was included out of respect for Henry's work, but we should have taken it out to avoid confusion.

There was no mention in the original briefing due to a miscommunication, but that was corrected and mentioned afterwards in this post:
      https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/43?p=184773#p184764.

Also, please continue any discussions about the F-16 conversion in that thread.
      Firebird
      MAIW Admin
      MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For those of you that like to know this sort of stuff the official name in RAF/RN service is Lockheed Martin F-35B Lightning, as it is actually the third Lightning to see RAF service.

Now whether it it gets a designation like Lightning FGR1 later on we will have to see.
      Steve
      maverick69
      Major
      Major

Post by maverick69 »

I've found a little issue. The japanese serial textures 8703-8704-8705-8706 begin with 69 instead of 79 (fs9 package)
      - Maurizio C.