The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

CTD during dusk, dawn and nighttime

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

CTD during dusk, dawn and nighttime

Post by hawk_sh »

I have CTDs (crash to desktop) on a scenery during dusk, dawn and nighttime.
There are no issues during daylight. I can spend hours at this scenery during daytime with no issues.

From my experience this usually means that there are certain texture files missing.
The permament search for these missing files finally causes a CTD.
So I ran ProcessMonitor to see what is going on in the background and identify the missing files.

Shortly before the CTDs FS9 is searching the following files:

flare6vv.bmp
flare5vv.bmp
flare7vv.bmp
flare1vv.bmp
flare2vv.bmp

025b2an2.agn
025b2an7.agn
025b2an3.agn
025b2an5.agn
025b2an1.agn

I do not have these files anywhere on my system.
Some googling also suggested that some of these files might even be FSX files.

Does anyone have these files and could send them to me?

An alternative might be to make a copy of an existing texture file and then name it as the files above.
However this might cause some strange effects in the scenery so I would prefer to get the orginal files if possible.
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: CTD during dusk, dawn and nighttime

Post by Firebird »

Which scenery are you having this problem with?
Steve
hgschnell
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hgschnell »

none of these files found on my fs9 installation.
I would disable some of my sceneries (lately installed) to find the error
Guenther
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It sounds like you have installed an FSX scenery that maybe calling a default FSX texture for dusk.

I would start by using a tool such as Everything to search for cvx files. That may help you.
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

The crashes appear at Pax River.

I have not installed any FSX scenery on my system.

Meanwhile I have found the agn files in a global texture package at avsimrus. However I have not installed them yet.

The flareXX bmp files are called in the suneffect.cfg.
I am using the suneffect.cfg file that came with the HDE SUN package by Pablo Diaz for many years now.

Maybe these CTDs are not related to missing files.
ProcessMonitor also shows a lot of activity in the registry, eg:
HKU\S-1-5-21-2914214413-667197458-2700868784-1002\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_075C\Actuators\1

It seems to be related to joystick.

As written in the opening post I have run the sim during daytime for hours moving around in the scenery using the joystick and there are no CTDs.
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The agns are indeed in FSX, I checked in an FSX install.
However, just because FS9 calls doesn't mean that that is the problem. I get these agn things all the time. The system checks to see if there is any agn for the area it is not a bad thing if there isn't one.

Now what are the last 20 'NAME NOT FOUND' entries before your crash? Full path name if you can.

I am running KNHK at the moment from just before dusk to see if they is a crash.

In the meantime does it happen at start up or only in game?
Does it happen at one place that you can reproduce all the time?
If it happens in game try removing all traffic to eliminate that from the equation.
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Steve, I did not save the log files from last night:

However the last entries with NAME NOT FOUND were the texture files mentioned above.

FS9 would search in e:\Flight Simulator 9\Texture\ and e:\Flight Simulator 9\Scenery\World\texture\

I had already disabled all AI traffic to figure out whether the CTDs are caused by scenery or traffic.

The crashes happened in game sometimes after about 10 to 30 seconds after loading, sometimes after a few minutes.

Earlier today the last entries before the CTD were

HKU\S-1-5-21-2914214413-667197458-2700868784-1002\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\MediaProperties\PrivateProperties\Joystick\OEM\VID_06A3&PID_075C\Actuators\XX <--

with the XX going from 1 to up to more than 30. I think these are the buttons on my joystick (Saitek X52)

However I just ran the sim with full AI starting at dawn until past midnight with no crash at all. FS9 is really a grab bag.

I am starting to think that it really might be related to my joystick - one axis is also starting to show some slight drift?
I had resetted and recalibrated the joystick before running that test without any crash this evening.
Hartwig

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK finished my testing going from daylight into full night and from full night into full daylight.
No issues at at all.

What it did do though is stir some memories from way back. When we first produced the Nellis pack some people had CTDs with the scenery. We thought it was related to extra surface textures that JS introduced but he had used them before with no problem.

We never did get to the bottom of it. For vast majority everything was fine but a few had these issues including, I think, Mike JG. In the end somebody come up with a workaround.
In the FS9 settings menu switching off the 'Dawn/Dusk texture blending' option fixed the issue. Why it affected only some we don't know. The only thing that I can summize all these years later is that some people had addon texture packs that didn't blend well with the default textures and that caused the issue. Hence why only a small number were affected.

Before you ask I do have the 'Dawn/Dusk texture blending' option switched on.

So I would say try that to see if it fixes the issue. If it does, and you want to keep the texture blending option on then either save your texture folder and re-install the default textures or try to find a complete replacement set and try that.
It could even be that the HDE SUN package is part of the problem.

Let us know what you find and/or discount.

I never discount anything out of hand but I think the timing is too coincidental to be caused by a joystick. If it was the case it would crash at any time rather than the specific periods you describe.
Steve
COA732
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by COA732 »

Firebird wrote: 13 Apr 2018, 21:36
What it did do though is stir some memories from way back. When we first produced the Nellis pack some people had CTDs with the scenery. We thought it was related to extra surface textures that JS introduced but he had used them before with no problem.
I had a problem there as well. I remember removing the landclass file and the CTD's stopped.
Jamie
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK so we now have two potential fixes to check.

I just did a quick check in the landclass file for texture names but apparently the LC file uses a shorthand notation for which textures to use.
Steve
hawk_sh
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by hawk_sh »

Thanks Steve for the advice regarding the 'Dawn/Dusk texture blending' option.
I will test this when the issue reappears. I have the option usually switched on.
Hartwig

Delboy99
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by Delboy99 »

I don't know if this has been posted here before, there are lots of posts related to CTD at dawn/dusk at Nellis, but I think I have just found a fix to the CTD problem.

Some of the Nellis textures are located in the Scenery\World\Texture folder instead of the MAIW Nellis AFB (KLSV)\Texture folder. When I moved the textures to the Nellis Texture folder, no more CTD at dusk.

I forgot to note which textures they were, but if you search the Scenery\World\Texture folder for Nellis, and cut and paste those textures into the Nellis Texture folder, no more CTD.

I can also confirm that the missing AFCAD issue at Nellis is caused by Fallon NAS scenery, I deactivated mine and got the Nellis AFCAD back. I can't figure out what is wrong with the Fallon scenery, nor can I remember where I got it from. Did anyone ever find a solution for this?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Is the Fallon scenery from Alphasim?

Fortunately I am not a betting man, but I reckon it is. The people that created the Alphasim scenery, and went on to form Team SDB, did something peculiar and they stamped on other sceneries. I once spent 3 straight days trying to work out why Fairford afcad was not showing up. It turned out to be their St Mawgan scenery. So I unfortunately had to disable all of them.
It seem fine if you used their sceneries but it knocked out others.

I do know that at least one of their sceneries stamped over Nellis.

Thank god for Brian and his sceneries.
Steve