The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

AI vanish after takeoff problem.

All things Military AI that don't fit anywhere else.
col1948
Major
Major
Version: FS9

AI vanish after takeoff problem.

Post by col1948 »

I spent a good few hours getting a flyable floatplane to fly as an ai, managed it in the end, it will taxi, takeoff then once it reaches around 1200ft and does it's first turn to get on course it vanishes.
I tried it a few times to make sure, I was following using super traffic view board which usually works, I did a Google search but nearly all the vanishing problems were before takeoff not after.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: AI vanish after takeoff problem.

Post by Firebird »

I have had similar things in the past .
One cause is the PC and it could be due to fragmented memory due to either long time running or simply a case of what has been running. A simple fix is to power down the PC for 30 secs and then try again. If it is a memory problem that fixes it.

The second is due to the fact that the aircraft is over stressed. So it could be the the fde that you have chosen is not a good fit. Admittedly, as we are talking about a float plane so it shouldn't be so easy to over stress.

If you want me to take a quick look then package up two afcads that you are using for a test flight, the fde that you are using, the flightplan that you are getting the problem with, and pm them to me.
Let me know where I can download the model from and I will take a quick look.
Steve
COA732
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by COA732 »

Might be a flightplan issue. I found a thread from WOAI of a user's ai disappearing while approaching EHAM

http://www.world-of-ai.com/forum/index. ... ic=10531.0
Jamie
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yeah I think it is a possibility which is why I asked for the flightplan as well.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Please forgive me for wasting your time, I sorted it.
The floatplane in question was the Military Norsman, any way I found on one of my archived disks a DH Beaver, when I looked at it I saw a very strong resemblance in both aircraft.
I knew the Beaver flew OK as an ai but I tested it any way to make sure, then all I did was swap the cfg and air file over to the Norsman.
It sat OK on the water, taxi OK, took off OK, flew OK, so it seemed the vanishing problem was the cfg I tweaked earlier, something in there FSX didn't like.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The only thing better than a problem that somebody has fixed is a problem that you've fixed yourself.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

I created another 2 water afcads and while trying them out I used a Grumman Albatross. The takeoff afcad worked OK and I followed the flight using STVB, 3 quarters of the way there I got booted back to base.
So I used the same aircraft and started off from the second water afcad, again I followed the flight, it flew all the way and landed no problem.
I tried again going from the first afcad and the same thing happened, I got booted back 3 quarters of the way. So from A-B I got booted but from B-A it worked.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

When you say you got booted, what does that mean?
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve, Sorry just my way of saying it. I mean as I'm following I break off and no longer can follow I get sent back to the base takeoff airport then I'm drifting along uncontrollable in the air, I hope that makes sense.

If you reply and I don't answer I have to go out soon so won't be back for a while.

Col.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK I have had a similar sounding problem occasionally with TVB but normally it's a one time thing. I am following and all of a sudden it loses connection and freefall slowly to the ground.
I reboot the PC and it's fine.

As I have neither FSX nor STB I can't investigate this one for you but I suspect it is related to something that is interrupting the connection to STB.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Hi Steve, I'm back home now, thanks for replying. You could be right about STVB. On a few occasions I entered an airport and it didn't show in the menu, go on Traffic Tools and it was there.
Any way I went on their website, not been on it for a while and there was an update, so after I updated it found the new airports straight away.
I sometimes use the old TVB for FS9, it kind of works but some of the text is gobbaldy gook , it'a hit and miss if you get the right aircraft, but once you get it then it will work OK.
I remember reading a few years ago a guy wanted to upgrade TVB to work in FSX and he got a reply from the guy who was working on STVB, saying he was working the same idea only for FSX, so course after the STVB was born, but it works the same only a few more bells and whistles, where as STVB is made to look like the leader board at the airport with all the flights and airlines listed in a similar fashion.

Col.