The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Patuxent River 2018 Package conversion

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Patuxent River 2018 Package conversion

Post by jetrange »

I tried to install the NAS Patuxent River 2018 update to FSX, and installed the files for the scenery to work in FSX.
However, for some reason I have holes in the F-35 areas and there are trees in many parts when I install the FSX files.

Is there something that i've not done correctly or is there any way to fix this?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Patuxent River 2018 Package conversion

Post by John Young »

Did you follow all the steps in the FSX F-35B manual for the Pax River scenery, ie:

Remove the following files from the Patuxent River\scenery folder:

• 0_Patuxent_VTPX.bgl
• GGv3_XTrees_lib9_0.bgl
• KNHK_FSGEnesis-Mesh-Flatten_LWM2_2m.bgl
• Patuxent_Object_Library
• Patuxent_Trees_Placement_file.bgl
• PAX1_ADE9_HU_GP.bgl
• PAX1_ADE9_HU_OBJ.bgl
• PaxRiver_VTPL.bgl
• PaxRiver_VTPP.bgl

Add the files from the FSX Patuxant River\scenery folder in the F-35B zip to your FSX or P3Dv4\Patuxant River\scenery folder. Do not replace the whole folder?

If holes are appearing, it's likely the FS9 AFCADs haven't been changed out for the FSX ones with a different elevation.

John
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

I have followed the steps in the F-35B manual, but that was when the trees start to appear and the holes under the F-35 areas are still there.

Also, how can I change the AFCADs to work with FSX?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The replacement AFCADs in the FSX F-35B download are already set up for FSX and include the elevation change to prevent the holes. The trees are also adjusted. Are you sure you have downloaded the FSX version of the F-35B's?

As a check, if you are able to open any of the AF2 files (ADE, AFX or AFCAD), in the properties drop down, what elevation do you have?

John
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Ok, I finally got the hole problem solved, but the trees are still there, and that started when I put in the FSX update.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's progress - how did you solve the "hole problem"?

When you say that the tree problem started when you put in the FSX update, does that imply that you had no trees previously? If so, what Pax scenery was installed in FSX prior to that?

Have you removed:

GGv3_XTrees_lib9_0.bgl
Patuxent_Trees_Placement_file.bgl?

John
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

The two files I had removed for the FSX update.

When I mean trees appears after the update, I mean the default trees appear at different areas.

How I solved the hole problem was that for the AFCAD files, they have two versions; one that was 11 meters and another for 2 meters. So I deleted the original AFCAD which was the 2 meter one and that solved the problem.

Oh, and this was the 2018 update that was installed prior to the tree problem.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just out of interest, which AFCAD file did you delete?

You mentioned that the trees are in many parts of the scenery. I've just checked my Pax River installation with autogen on max. I did find a few trees in one corner encroaching on the taxiway/apron, but turning the autogen setting down got rid of those. I didn't find a general problem.

Can you confirm that you have JYAI_Pax_flatten_CVX.bgl and JYAI_Pax_flatten_OBJ.bgl installed please?

If you could post a screen shot of where you are seeing thee encroaching trees I'll investigate further.

John
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Foxbat »

John, I think a new flatten/exclude autogen is needed. Made this a couple of weeks ago. Please try the attached KNHK afcad and CVX file attached in the zip. Delete all excludes, VTPP stuff and the update KNHK afcad.

PS: I still have a few buildings to remove from a taxiway, but I'm lost for the time being as IS does not work.
Attachments
paxfixp3d4.zip
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
Andrew
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

JYAI_Pax_flatten_CVX.bgl and JYAI_Pax_flatten_OBJ.bgl are installed on the scenery.

I deleted the AFCADs that end with 209m.

Here are also some screenshots of where trees are covering the ramps.
Attachments
NHK Photo 3.JPG
NHK Photo 1.JPG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't recognise an AFCAD with 209m, at least not in the file name.

However, I did find some trees in the areas of your screen shots with autogen turned up high. Andrew's fix in the post above does remove them - I've just tried it.

Have you tried it yourself?

John
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Glad it worked. But for those of you not using ORBX Vectors, I need to make another set, as there is trouble with the coastlines/heliport. For now I think I will just ignore water "going up" and leave the taxiways there as original, which will also solve the buildings problem before mentioned. Better have water creeping on land than buldings on the taxiway. Compromises... always compromises.
Andrew
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

I just tried the update, and it is an improvement on the tree problem, even though there were still a few trees on a taxiway to the NTPS hangars, and autogen was set to normal.

Another thing, is there a way to get the textures of the AFCADs of the launch pad and catapult facilities onto FSX? Because they're missing on the update.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Maybe, but It's not something I want to pursue. My interest was to produce 135 F-35A's B's and C's for 3 sim versions. The scenery that is used by them was produced by other people and I merely did the basic conversions as best I could to enable them to be used in FSX/P3D. Pax River was a really complex conversion because of the 16 AFCADs in it and the varied amount of AI. I really don't want to get further involved in that, particularly as I am now pre-occupied with AH-1Z Vipers.

John
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Ok, sorry I pushed you that far. I'll think of something I can try.

Also, good luck on those Vipers.
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Here's a new fix. I managed to sneak the taxiway between the buildings, and also fixed the apron with trees on. This version will work fine with or without ORBX Vectors.
Attachments
paxfixP3D4_v2.zip
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Andrew
WilliamCall
Cadet
Cadet

Post by WilliamCall »

All - Thanks for the FSX conversion of Pax River 2018! Everything appears to be working. My only problem is the FSX coast line around the TPS and west basin marina (a left over comment from the 2015 version). The west basin is land (not ocean) as well as the south side of TPS. Is this an FSX land class issue? If so, is there a fix? Better yet, how can I fix it? Thanks!
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Are you talking about where the P8's and Orions parks? Where that taxiway ends, there shuld be water, yes. As I use FTX Vectors this is of course incorrect. As I share my afcad with you guys, best let it be for both Vectors and not, as there is terribly much work involved to satisfy both. Further "fine converting" this scenery to P3D (for me only at first), I chose to let bugs be bugs.
Andrew
WilliamCall
Cadet
Cadet

Post by WilliamCall »

Thanks for your reply! I'm sorry, TPS is Test Pilot School. There is a helicopter pad at the south west corner of the ramp. There should be water immediately west of the pad (there isn't). Also, the taxi way that goes past the VX-20 hanger (where the P-3s and P-8s park) and terminates at the marina (a.k.a. west basin), there should be water in the west basin (there isn't, it's land and trees). I was just wondering if anybody had fixed this for FSX. Several years ago, when I had Windows 7, I built a photo real scenery back ground of Pax River. Unfortunately, none of the runways, taxi ways, or parking ramps lined up where they should be. Faced with completely rebuilding Pax River, I decided to quit working on the project. Again, I was hoping that somebody had a quick fix for the FSX western shore line. Thanks!
EDDT-Sebi
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by EDDT-Sebi »

Hello, Sorry! I search been allways to "MAIW_NAS_Patuxent_River_2018_update_FS9.zip", not found! Where is it? I use FSX..!
Thanks..!
I am deaf. Though i try my very best
my linguistic possibilities are limited:
i will make mistakes.