The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Sharing MAIW aircraft with friends

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Sharing MAIW aircraft with friends

Post by pazzo »

I've made some AI traffic files using aircraft I've downloaded from here. I'd like to share my traffic.bgl with friends and include the relevant aircraft in the folder. What is necessary regarding copyright/ownership/creator rights in order to properly and legally include MAIW aircraft in my traffic folders?

Thanks!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Sharing MAIW aircraft with friends

Post by Firebird »

In simple terms unless you have permission from the modellers and the painters you can't make them freely available, i.e. when anybody can click on a link and download them.

It is technically a different matter if you are sending an zip file to a group of friends but then you can't control what they do with it. If one of them then loads it somewhere then you could be letting yourself in for some grief and censure.

We have permission to use and release the models in our packages but not to authorize others to do so.
So either you need to get the appropriate permissions from the creators, or maybe choose a simpler way. What I am thinking of here is point to where the models and paints can be downloaded and just supply your flight plans. That way you avoid any possible accusation of illegal distribution and the potential hassle of contacting a number of individuals.
Steve
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by pazzo »

thanks for the clarification!
pazzo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by pazzo »

Follow up: it's extremely difficult to find a way to contact the creators and I'd like to know how to contact Henry Tomkiewicz, Desmond Burrell, and Mike Stone. I'm interested in the C130, C17, and C5. Email addresses would be helpful. At the same time, would it be proper to direct interested parties to this great site so they could obtain the relevant models?

Thanks, again!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

HT did the C-130 but he has been away from the scene for some years and all attempts from our guys to contact him have fallen short.
Somebody may have his contact details but none of the staff have here.

Mike Stone, left the scene even before Henry. As far as I know he left due to what he termed ungrateful people and refused to have anything to do with the scene again. Of course somebody may know differently. Des loiters around here in the shadows these days.

What I would say though is that neither Mike nor Des produced either the C-17 or the C-5. To be fair neither of those modellers are active much any more either.

This is why I suggested the alternative above. I commend you for trying hard to contact the necessary people but unfortunately unless the originator makes it clear that when they leave the scene their stuff becomes open to all you are still bound to the original release stipulations.
Des you could get hold of but unless you are able to get every part together it may be prove fruitless.
Steve
col1948
Major
Major

Post by col1948 »

Reading above isn't just easier to send the download aircraft links to your friends then as you say you made some traffic files so just zip them up and send them.
If they know how to marry the traffic files with the aircraft then it should be easy or if they don't some brief instructions.

As for Mike Stone, I was a member on his forum years ago and I remember the time he announced he was leaving FS because of ungrateful people as Steve says above, a few of us tried to talk him out of it but he was set of leaving, I stall have some of his models on disk, shame to lose someone like that.
I have had fads where I got fed up with FS and took it off my PC, tried other sims but I came back, but I didn't leave with a bad taste in my mouth so it was easy for me to return plus I wanted to.

Col.