The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JASDF Bases

Post and discuss what YOU are working on. This is the place to preview and/or discuss your modern day military AI projects.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Re: JASDF Bases

Post by pslinger »

The objects are there, just white. Did a check of the FS9 install and didn't find another Akeno scenery installed.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

pslinger wrote: 17 Jun 2018, 00:24 It seems that hanger, control tower, ramp vehicles and APU's, fire extinguishers textures are missing...
These objects are all being called from object libraries in the MAIW Global Scenery Library

MAIW_ABO for the hangers and towers
GGSE and JGSE for the vehicles

I would look there first to make sure the textures are properly installed.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Thanks for the information, I will check in to it.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

I am a novice when it comes to some of this and I know enough to be dangerous. The GGSE and JGSE Libraries are installed and activated both located near the default scenery. The GGSE Library has a priority number of 229 and the JGSE Library has a 233 Priority number. I also discovered that there are two MAIW Global Scenery Libraries and both are activated and also placed near the default scenery. One library is called MAIW Scenery Library Objects and the other called MAIW Scenery Library Objects FS9. Within the MAIW Scenery Library Objects file I found two copies of the MAIW_ABO.bgl file, one was located in the main MAIW Scenery Library Objects folder and the other inside the scenery folder. I don't think I placed them there and I'm not sure if that is part of the problem. I hope this isn't too confusing. Thanks for the help.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

OK a brief history.
The idea of the MAIW Scenery Library Objects was to collect all the global scenery libs into one package so that people would not have to go around looking for them when they downloaded user created addon scenery.

The fact that you have multiple GGSE and JGSE libs active is the source of your issue.

What I suggest is this.
Disable the GGSE and JGSE folders in FS9.

I would also disable the two Global lib folders as well. Then renames the two folders adding '_old' to the end.

Now you have a clean system but you still have folders there in case anything goes wrong.
Now download the latest version of the MAIW Scenery Library Objects package.
Install that to whatever folder name you want and then add and activate that folder.

Now when you restart FS9 you should have one new folder activated and four older folders inactivated (two folders actually renamed as well).
Now when you check the scenery you should find no problems.

Now all you have to do is clear up your system. remove the 4 disabled libs from your FS9.cfg and then delete the four folders completely.
Any lib that you find in the MAIW Scenery Library Objects folder that has its own entry can also be removed.
When you have some time you can also remove any duplicate libs from every other scenery. This is the whole point of the MAIW Scenery Library Objects package.

Now this is the bit where being cautious pays off.
When you find duplicates in a scenery folder some may be a different date and/or size to the one you have just installed.
What I do is create a temporary folder called 'Archive' where the duplicates are. So for example if you had a folder called 'Nellis AFB' and under that you had the usual 'scenery' and 'texture' folders, I create the 'archive' folder inside the 'scenery' folder and just move the lib into that folder. Therefore it is still there and you can recover it if you get problems.

Now when you restart FS9 and go to the scenery you have just archived the lib from you should find no issues at all.
That is because we state to place the MAIW Scenery Library Objects folder so that it will be picked up BEFORE any scenery that uses objects from there. This is why that step is so important.

Once you are satisfied that the scenery has no issues you can safely delete that 'archive' folder.
The final clean up that you can do would be to remove the duplicate textures from that scenery's 'texture' folder but that is more complicated and is and needs you to get a list of all the texture called by the lib.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

The following was written in the readme to avoid this exact issue.
Military AI Works Scenery Library Objects for FS9 wrote:Step 3) Remove duplicate versions (optional but recommended)

3a) It is highly recommended that you scan your other scenery folders for duplicate or older versions of these libraries. Many sceneries already come with these libraries included. We recommend not having more than one version of the same library to avoid conflicts.

3b) As our versions of the libraries should always be the latest one and you placed them as low on the scenery list as possible in step 2c, you should normally be able to safely delete all other instances you find. Before you do, ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR FILES in case something goes wrong. Alternatively, you can rename the extension of any duplicate libraries you find from .BGL to .OFF which will neutralize them in FS9.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Basically, if you get bored by my long, long post you can always read Greg's.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Hey, we put blood, sweat and tears into these readmes nobody reads. I may as well quote from them from time to time. :P
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Greg and Steve, thanks for your help and guidance working through this issue much appreciated. I will be working on this over the next couple of days. As indicated in my earlier post I am a novice, so chalk some of what is going on to inexperience or knowing enough to be dangerous. I actually read the Read Me files twice; once to understand how it is organized and what information is contained in which section, and a second time when I do the actual install. When the Read Me indicates that I need to remove duplicates, I assume MAIW Scenery Library Objects and MAIW Scenery Library Objects FS9 are not duplicates because they have different names. I am assuming that some scenery files call from MAIW Scenery Library Objects and some scenery files call from MAIW Scenery Library Objects FS9 and that the file name difference exists for a reason. If both of you and others reading this post are now laughing hysterically right about now I totally understand. Again, thanks for your help, guidance, patience and understanding, and "the blood, sweat, and tears" that are invested in the Read Me files. The hard work and effort are appreciated. Paul
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

No worries Paul. I wasn't having a go at you but simply repeating what's written in the readme. After reading Steve's elaborate info that section would perhaps make more sense to you now.

With library files we mean the bgl files containing scenery models. "MAIW Scenery Library Objects" and "MAIW Scenery Library Objects FS9" are simply folders containing library files.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Hi everyone, the long promised Kasuminome scenery has gone up. It features the updated ramp paving, resized parking spots, resorted OBJ libs to make it more efficient and of course, a native FSX version.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Steve and Greg, I did the fresh install of the latest version of "MAIW Scenery Library Objects FS9" and followed the instructions provided. However the problem still exists. I then went to Atsugi and Beaufort and the problem exists there as well. It would appear that I may have messed something up during the install of both of these sceneries. I'm going to try a fresh reinstall of both starting with Beaufort, then Atsugi. See where that takes me.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Greg & Steve, because of your help, I've got 99 percent of this straightened out. The only issue that remains is perimeter fencing. At a number of bases, such as KDYS, KBAD, KADW, KNUW, there is no perimeter fencing, just a gray wall. I'm assuming this is a texture issue, correct? The only thing I can find that these based have in common is the lib_fence_CLW_FS9.bgl file. Is there a way to determine which texture(s) are associated with specific .bgl files or am I missing something more obvious? Thanks.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Paul,
Have a look at the known bugs in the readme doc of John's Dyess scenery, and presumably others.
Have you tried that? I know it works because I found the bug and work around.

Now if you have it in more than one scenery then you might want to copy the lib to another folder creation just above the MAIW Global Libs one. I use it for all the third party libs that are not supported by MAIW, unsurprisingly called 'Third Party Libs'.

The texture is quite easy to work out, in the KDYS scenery texture folder there is a texture fence_CLW.bmp .

What I would do is rename one of the libs as mentioned and see if it fixes the issue. If it does just move the lib, without rename to a new folder as I described and that should fix all of them.
Steve
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

PhSX Phantoms Phorever

Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Just about to put them in for my P3D JASDF users, those AI pilots are going to be happy again.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Hi Steve, unfortunately renaming the lib_fence_CLW_FS9.BGL to 1_lib_fence_CLW_FS9.BGL suggested in the Readme for the Dyess package was unsuccessful. I do have this issue with multiple sceneries. If I understand you correctly I would create a folder named say "Third Party" and then a scenery sub-folder within the Third Party folder. I would then place the lib_fence_CLW_FS9.BGL in the scenery sub-folder. I would the go through the usual add scenery then move the Third Party folder down to just above the MAIW Scenery Library Objects, correct?

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Yes with the addition of putting a copy of FENCE_CLW.BMP into the texture sub-folder of your Third Party folder as well.
Steve
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Did the trick, now I have everything working as it should. Thanks Steve for your help, you are always a great resource.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Excellent.
Now you can tidy up all the other sceneries with lib_fence_CLW_FS9.BGL included.

What I do, not necessary but it helps your confidence that something has worked, is to create an archive sub-folder inside each of the scenery folders that have the lib included, with the obvious exception of the Third Party folder. Then simply move the lib into the archive folder. This will remove the lib from scenery path in each case.

Then simply check each scenery to ensure that there are no issues and then the archive folder can be either emptied or deleted according to what you fancy. Don't forget to delete the bmp from each texture folder as well.

Now whilst the Third Party folder might be a touch empty at the moment, every time you are told to download an object lib for a scenery you can place it in that folder and know that it will be available to every other scenery as it will be loaded before any scenery.
You will soon build up a collection of objects in two folders, MAIW Objects and Third Party objects.
Steve