The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Prepar3d v4

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Reggie
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Re: Prepar3d v4

Post by Reggie »

I did the same and mine works properly now too (X-56 RHINO).

Thanks Greg!

Reggie
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Glad it's working!
DMdoc
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DMdoc »

Are there MAIW developers working on developing P3Dv4 aircraft/scenery/whatnot? If so, how do I identify that their products are native to P3Dv4?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

In general, all of my work, with a few exceptions, is for FS9 and FSX in separate downloads, the FSX models being in native code that also works in P3Dv4. My zip file names end in _FS9_1.zip or _FXS_1.zip, the "1" being incremented if there is a version 2 etc. It might be useful for future projects, if a check box for FSX/P3Dv4 (or multiple box choices) was available in the upload dialogue. That would add to the clarity in respect of the sim version that the add-on is designed for.

Now that I have P3Dv4 myself, I am trying to design (starting with the A-10 Thunderbolt project) for all 3 sims individually. I'm finding that really demanding though. Apart from the different design disciplines, just keeping track of the right files, the right versions, in the right folders x 3, requires a lot of concentration and stamina, never mind testing 3 versions. Single AI aircraft projects are OK, it's trying to get 3 versions of aircraft, flight plans and accompanying AFCADs and scenery to work across all 3 sims that's taking away the fun. I'm trying to do that with the MAIW Great Lakes Part 1 package at the moment, at least for the A-10 component.

If the spread of each project over 3 sim versions is to continue, the complexity of each project may have to reduce, or I may have to drop one sim version. I'll think about that further after I get out of this particular maze.

John
Woogey
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Woogey »

Reggie wrote: 03 Jun 2017, 16:49 I guess I'm about to take the plunge. My birthday is next week and the "boss" gave me the go-ahead and a PO number for purchase. :-) Glad I waited for 64 bit version. I was wondering if my FSX AFCADs will work in P3Dv4? Is AFX or ADE compatible with P3D to write new AFCADs?

Thanks for any assistance,

Reggie
Yes Reggie, ScruffyDuck's ADE X has a new version which is fully compatible with P3d4. Also the newest version of McX adds P3d4 support. FSX AFCAD's will work fine provided that you have the "Draw Surface and details" boxes checked in ADE X. Otherwise you may have some taxiways that do not draw the Concrete or asphalt.

Neither EZ-Scenery or Instant Scenery work in P3d4. Flight 1 have stated that they are working on an update to Instant Scenery 3, and hope to have it ready after Christmas sometime. Plan to purchase it again as it will probably be known as "IS4".

-Woog
Jester945271
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Jester945271 »

I am running ACG RAF Coningsby, ACG RAF Marham and ACG Duxford in Prepar3d V4. I have Typhoons and Tornados at locations but without landing gear, Radomes, canopies and wings. Does anyone have the models for this to display correctly?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

At this moment in time there are no v4 compatible models of those types.

As you can appreciate we have used a lot of models over the years and whilst there is a very small band of people working very hard it will take time for all models to be converted for acceptable use in that platform.

They are going through them but it will take time.
Steve
Mirage4FS
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Mirage4FS »

Wondering if in the process of all this the canopy glass (material or whatever) can be adjusted so
that we don't have weird effects in front of clouds and such?
Just a common light tint of gray from all angles and against all backgrounds would be awesome.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Yes Frank. The converted models are cured from all these deficiencies.
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Is there a recommend scenery library order as in other versions of the sim in P3Dv4? I have Matrix installed and working, but some MAIW hangars are missing while others show fine. The ones that show all custom objects still need the autogen fix, but that was a given. Working Arizona bases now, KDMA, KLUF and click's Army AAF scenery are showing fine, but Yuma has no hangars/buildings, but all ground equipment? I'm on Very Dense setting.

Also, anyone using the AIG FSX2P3DADE Converter?
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Davis Monahan and the helicopter sceneries use the MAIW global object libraries which has fsx upgraded models. Yuma uses custom libraries, the models of which have probably never been converted from fs9 format
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

I'm not sure I understand, Chris. Are you saying that you're missing objects and have autogen issues with Matrix airfields? Or that you have Matrix installed but having issues with your own converted airfields?

Matrix uses the add-on method which automatically places the scenery entries at the right place in the scenery.cfg file when P3Dv4 starts, but I'm not sure what would happen if you used a library that came with Matrix for your own converted airfields which would then be placed lower in the scenery library (lower than the object libraries from Matrix). It's something I'd need to check.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The new Osprey package that Greg is in the process of adding to the Download Hangar has the fix for Yuma. The three files:

• MAIW_MCAS_Yuma_VTPL.bgl
• MAIW_MCAS_Yuma_VTPP.bgl
• MAIW_MCAS_Yuma_VTPX.bgl

all need to be deleted and there is a replacement maiw_yuma_objects library_2.bgl in the zip that has been converted to P3Dv4 format. As a result Yuma becomes usable in that sim version.

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Greg, no issues on the Matrix provided bases.The autogen issues are in older, non-Matrix scenery I am installing from my FSX cpu to provide AI parking. I was asking if I need to arrange the order of my scenery to best display custom objects. I have the Matrix and other MAIW scenery grouped together in the "stack". I believe click answered the Yuma issue, although I also see Orbx did a Yuma which I need to remove again. Tracking the Matrix thread on future projects, so I should probably wait for properly converted scenery...ie leave it to the professionals!
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
flyboy
Major
Major

Re: Prepar3d v4.4

Post by flyboy »

I have been out of flight Sim for about 2 years. Will be getting Prepar3d in a few weeks and was wondering what version do I need. Also what is the best utilities and add on would I require to add a lot of traffic of all types.

Last question, when I used FS9 I had between 30 to 50000 AI of all types flying. How does Prepar3d handle heavy traffic loads such as frame rates, loading time etc. I know FS9 took forever to load with my setup, but handled the traffic well once loaded.

I still have close to 95GB of FS9/FSX files on backups. If anybody needs something, I might have it.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Prepar3D v4 is the latest major version. The Academic Version should normally be sufficient for all your simming needs unless you want to go pro and offer simulation training in a local network.

For military AI traffic, our Matrix app now offers a one stop shop specifically designed for P3D v4 with regular updates. Get it here. For civilian traffic, Alpha India Group recently released a beta version of a new auto-installer if you want to keep following the freeware route. More information is on their website.

Loading times haven't changed since FS9, only computer processing power has, but you'll still have time to grab a coffee while P3D is loading with a lot of traffic. But once it's running it offers a much, much better experience than FS9 ever did. Also, don't worry if you can't run P3D at the same setting levels than you ran FS9. P3D at medium settings still offers more detail than FS9 at maximum.
RKE
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by RKE »

I agree with Greg, the Academic version will be fine and you hardly ever notice the watermark.

As for utilies, there's no way around the Lorby-SI Prepar3D V4 Addon Organizer: http://www.lorby-si.com/downloads.html

It makes moving to P3D's new way of handling addons much, much easier and straight forward. That means you can have a clean P3D install and a separate folder containing all of your addons. Makes backing up your addons as easy as clicking a couple of buttons.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

I got this late in the P3D game and was manually making my add-on xml changes with FSX models. I just upgraded from 4.2 to 4.4 and made the same mistake of not changing P3D to another drive, lesson learned, but at least all my Matrix stuff and AIG files were in an outside folder. Looking forward to the AIG program as I do keep some major airline AI in. My loading times are better overall than FSX, but it's still a wait.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

John Young wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 05:18 The new Osprey package that Greg is in the process of adding to the Download Hangar has the fix for Yuma. The three files:

• MAIW_MCAS_Yuma_VTPL.bgl
• MAIW_MCAS_Yuma_VTPP.bgl
• MAIW_MCAS_Yuma_VTPX.bgl

all need to be deleted and there is a replacement maiw_yuma_objects library_2.bgl in the zip that has been converted to P3Dv4 format. As a result Yuma becomes usable in that sim version.

John
John,

I installed the new Yuma package in my P3Dv3, deleting the above three and making sure the objects lib v2 was installed.
I still do not have the buildings/hangars however I do have the extinguishers.
Does this mean I will have to update to V4.4 (along with a whole new computer setup) ? Or have I neglected something else ?

Joe
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Joe, I've just been to Yuma to verify my installation. This is what I see:

This is in P3Dv4.0.28.21686.

These are the files in my Yuma\scenery folder:

In the "removed" folder are the 3 VT files.

Do you have the same?

John