The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX Osprey traffic Mildenhall v2

Discussion, tutorials,hints and tips relating to designing military ai aircraft.
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

FSX Osprey traffic Mildenhall v2

Post by hobby »

Returning after a long absence I was delighted to see that John Young had produced a wonderful set of Ospreys for FSX using Mildenhall V2.

I am probably doing something wrong but I just cannot get the Ospreys to appear.

Can someone please assist me?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: FSX Osprey traffic Mildenhall v2

Post by Firebird »

What have you checked so far?
Steve
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

I have uninstalled and then re-installed Mildenhall v2 scenery. I have applied the two traffic files from John Young's Osprey file and removed the original afd parking file replacing it with John Young's afx file.
The C130 and tanker traffic and aircraft appear and operate as expected but no Ospreys can be seen. I have tried a small selection of different days and times to try and see Osprey traffic but with no success. I did delete the vertical AIR file from the EGUN Ospreys.
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

I should have stated that I am now using FSX. Today I have edited my profile to indicate my current flight sim program.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Both the .air files have a vertical take-off component, but the JYAI_V-22_long_roll.air file has a longer landing run to prevent the back-track when landing at Mildenhall. That's the file that's assigned in the aircraft.cfg file. The alternative JYAI_V-22.air file can be deleted, but there's no need to do that. Both exist together and indeed, both may be needed if other paints are added later.

As a first step, try putting the deleted file back again, just in case you have deleted the wrong one.

John
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

Mildenhall V2 contains AF2_EGY5 and AF2_EGY8. Should these files be deleted? If not where should they reside?
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

As an experiment I installed the scenery and traffic files for the Ospreys operating from Yuma. Success! Those Ospreys were parked where they should be in FSX and eventually the Osprey traffic was seen taxying and taking off.

Whilst successful the Yuma exercise is of limited use as I confine my flying to Europe.

I shall persevere with the Mildenhall Ospreys but I cannot at present understand why no Ospreys appear.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

So, did you re-instate both .air files as suggested?

AF2_EGY5.bgl and AF2_EGY8.bgl are both waypoints and if you have run Tony's Mildenhall v2 installer to a temporary folder, you will see that they install to Addon Scenery\scenery.

You haven't by chance put the FS9 traffic file for the KC-135's and C-130s from the Mildenhall V2 zip in your FSX\scenery\world\scenery folder instead of the FSX version in the Osprey zip? That would probably cause those aircraft to show, but would kill the Ospreys.

In all cases of non-show of FSX AI, I would advise users to scan their FSX\scenery\world\scenery folder for FS9-formatted traffic files with AIFP to see if there is something else creating mischief. 99% of the time, that's the cause of the problem, all other files being in the right place of course. If you don't have AIFP, then you could temporarily remove all traffic files apart from the Ospreys to see if they appear.

John
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

Thanks for your reply John.

I checked the EGUN Osprey acft.cfg to ensure that only the "long roll" AIR file was present as it should be but I did not then re-instate the vertical take off AIR file.

Just an hour ago I checked the EGUN traffic files in the FSX scenery\world\scenery and found that both the FS9 and FSX traffic files were present but when at EGUN in FSX no traffic at all was generated.
I then removed the FS9 traffic file to my desktop and renamed it leaving the FSX traffic file from the Osprey zip in place. Result no aircraft whatsoever were to be seen at EGUN.

I then replaced the FSX traffic file with the FS9 traffic file after renaming it back to is original identity placing the former file on my desktop prior to renaming it. Result C130s and refuelling aircraft seen to be taxying and taking off from EGUN.

However it is clear that is not what we desire.

I must now return to my FSX\scenery\world\scenery and look for and remove any FS9 traffic files. I can't imagine how they got there for when I changed from FS9 to FSX I thought that I had removed all FS9 material from my computer.
hobby
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by hobby »

At last! Thanks to John I found five FS9 traffic files in my FSX\scenery\world\scenery file. The five interlopers were deleted. The original traffic file was replaced by John's FSX Traffic file from the Osprey zip.

Arriving at EGUN I was pleased to find the Ospreys parked and to observe all aircraft on the base complying with John's FSX traffic plan.

This escapade might help other forum members to examine their FSX\scenery\world\scenery file where they to might come across errant FS9 traffic files.

Once again, many thanks John.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Glad that's fixed.

I wish I had a dollar every time I've corrected that problem for FSX users over the years - it is by far the most common reason for non-show of AI in FSX. I didn't think that was the case here initially because the KC-135's and C-130s were reported as showing from what should have been an FSX-formatted file too. I just wonder if that file was actually the FS9-formatted file from the Mildenhall V2 zip, installed instead of the FSX file in the Osprey zip?

There's no need to delete the FS9-formatted files if they should be serving a purpose. AIFP will convert them automatically if you select that option.

John