The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Missing Whiteman AFB Scenery

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Missing Whiteman AFB Scenery

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

Hi all:

I just installed the Whiteman AFB package (I'm running FSX:SE). I followed the directions to install the scenery. After this, the Main KSZL and 1SZL sceneries are working properly, but 2SZL, 3SZL, 4SZL, & 5SZL are not. After looking, I don't even see this files in the addon scenery folder. Has anyone else had this problem or is it a known issue with the package? Thanks!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Missing Whiteman AFB Scenery

Post by Firebird »

The missing waypoints are in the package. They are in the \Addon Scenery\Scenery folder.
Steve
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

Thanks, I found them there after posting. However, I’m unsure how to get them activated. In the past, when I have install a new scenery, I just dropped it in that folder and it worked. I followed the included instructions to add the other folders (including KSZL and 1SZL) to the scenery library but can’t do that with the other files

EDIT: To clarify: the other points show up in my airport selection list, but when I select them there isn’t anything there but the autogen trees. When I open up ADE, it shows that there Gould be something there
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

For those afcads/waypoints to become active they just need to be in any active scenery folder.

The MAIW packages are setup, as this one is so that if you manually installed them they would go to your \Addon Scenery\Scenery folder and be found.

Of course you could put them into your Whiteman folder as well, or you can do what I do.
To avoid putting waypoints into a scenery folder that may be superceded later, and therefore the waypoints get lost, I created a new scenery folder 'MAIW Waypoints' and a sub-folder under that of 'scenery'. The I simply activated 'MAIW Waypoints'.
This way I can keep all of the waypoints that I ever get in one place.

The key thing is for them to be seen is that they must be in an active folder. The way that you want to manage them can be any system that you feel comfortable with.

The key thing I should mention here is that I distinguish between waypoints and scenery. A waypoint will have no scenery at all except for a very small almost invisible runway that is required for aircraft to make approaches.
If the waypoint actually has some features that means that it calls for object libraries then it must be treated as a normal scenery addon as the hierarchy for object calls will apply for this kind of waypoint in exactly the same way that a full blown scenery does.

If you have a question over one of the waypoints, as to whether it is a simple waypoint or not let us know which one and we can help.
Steve
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

Thanks for the reply. Do you personally have the whiteman package installed?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I do.
Steve
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

Is there any chance that you could load up an aircraft at 2SZL and let me know what you see? Like I said earlier, it just looks like autogen stuff to me, but I feel like I have it all setup correctly. I’d like to be able to verify that I am actually missing something
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Ah right, the simple answer is that you can't.
It is a waypoint. This is why it is in the folder it is. Aircraft will fly to that point and make approaches and then fly off to another destination.

There is no parking there, there is no taxiways there. It is basically an almost invisible runway to allow aircraft to make approaches.

You should find that all flightplans that involve 2SZL will all be TNG legs, i.e. the aircraft never take off or land there. If they do then the flightplan is in error.
Steve
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

Ok, I thought that might be the case, but had no clue. Thanks so much for your help!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
Steve
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

One more quick question: is there any reason that I couldn’t, for organization purposes, pull those files out and put them into the folder with the KSZL main files?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No, as they will be in an active folder.
The thing that you will need to remember is that if there is a new Whiteman scenery then you may end up deleting those files and therefore any flightplans that use them will not work properly.
Steve
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

What do you mean by active folder? I’m still trying to learn the way the folder structure works for FSX
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

A scenery is active or inactive according to the scenery.cfg.
When you add a scenery you have to activate it for it to be shown in the sim. To remove the sim you can either remove it entirely from the scenery.cfg or you inactivate it, if you are trying something out without making something final.

In the scenery.cfg if a scenery is active you will see Active=TRUE, if it is inactive then you will see Active=FALSE.

This is exactly the same as FS9.
Steve
Sportfanatic1
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Sportfanatic1 »

That what I thought, but I’m confused why the 2SZL files wouldn’t already be in an active folder in Add on Scenery/scenery
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

They would be, unless you deactivated it.

If you are wondering why they weren't there it will simply be a case that you didn't manually copy them across properly. This is easily done.
This is why it is always best to install the packages to a temp directory, for FSX, and then manually copy them over to the correct folders. As for me, I always do it this way for FS9 as well.
Steve