The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Augusta Wesland AW139

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Augusta Wesland AW139

Post by John Young »

Thanks Greg, that would be very useful. I'm sure Brent won't mind if I direct you to his FSP folder where you will find his original archive called "Kawasaki Emergency Services 1.5".zip. It contains both FS9 and FSX versions of the 9 heliports.

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Good news and bad news... depending on how you look at it. :wink:

I am unable to replicate John's issues in P3D v4.3. All aprons, runways and taxiways displayed normally during extensive slewing around and above the airfields. This was with and without addon mesh and with all scenery sliders to the right or to the left. Nothing made a difference. Note that my "Japan Heliports 1" folder was at the very top of my scenery library the whole time.

What I did note however was that the VTPP files don't draw any backgrounds. They do exclude autogen, but most airfields are placed on top of urban landclass which still looks weird. The lonely VTPX file doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Brent, are you sure the VTPP files draw a grass poly in FSX?
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Yup, they sure do draw grass in FSX. If they don't draw grass in P3D though, that's good to know. That just means that all FS9 -> FSX -> P3D conversions do in fact need CVX files just like they need the draw flags reset. I'm sure John won't begrudge me another day to replace the last of the VTP files.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've just tried moving the scenery area from position 9 to the very top of the list to coincide with Greg's test. I then tried a couple of heliports, but still the polygons disappeared at quite a close range. That included RHAK that has a CVX file.

Brent, no rush, I still have a bit to do yet on the AW139's and the manual to write.

Pete B messaged me today to say that he had converted the heliports files and they were working fine in his P3Fv4, but I'm not clear what that involved. If he could zip his converted files please and put them in my FTP folder, it might be revealing for me to give them a try.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I tried Pete's files that had been regenerated with ADE and work fine for him, but still the polygons disappear after slewing away half a mile or so. I even disabled all the rest of my Japanese scenery just in case something was influencing the situation, but no change.

The only thing I can think of is that my version of P3D (4.0.28..2186) has a polygon bug in it, but later versions don't.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That’s about it for the modelling and painting.

The amount of variation over the Japanese and Italian subjects has been quite significant, such that I’ve ended up with 16 models. That’s not a bad thing because it gives re-painters plenty of scope to work with. These are the latest models/paints:

One of 8 of the Italian Police:

A short nose version and 4 long nose versions of Guardia di Finanza (financial crime and smuggling):

One of two Fire Department AW139s based at Trento:

This is the other, equipped with skis:

Finally, a special request from Giorgio - Air Ambulance EC-KLC. This is the 2017 paint scheme, the later 2018 scheme, which is less interesting, is also included as an alternative texture:

Next job is to write the manual and assemble the zips.

John
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Really cool models John, the bright paint schemes on many of these is a nice change from all the military drab colors!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Mike. They were indeed a change from dark sea grey and a pleasure to paint, even though there were so many to do.

Ironically, I asked Mark (Tranquil) if he would like to try the Paint Kit on a subject of his choice, thinking that 16 model variations should be enough to paint what he chose. Alas, the first 3 that he came up with couldn't be done accurately because the external features would require yet more models.

What I decided to do is add a generic model to the mix with minimum external features (no cable cutter, spot light, FLIR, winch, HF aerial etc) and a plain green primer paint, ready for the painter. That should fill most gaps, including opening up paints of civil AW139 subjects for anyone who has that interest:

So, that's me all done with the AW139's. Manual is written, screen shots are ready and zips are zipped. Just waiting on the conversion of some of the scenery elements and we can release.

John
dari2010
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by dari2010 »

Wow John!! Great Work!! Fantastic!
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Thank you John, the paintkit is very easy to use as are all of yours, its always a pleasure using them, with over 20 Air forces and goverments using the AW139 there should be no short supply of repaints to do!

Nothing too fancy for my first set.

Irish Air Corps

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

WIP set for the Pakistan Army / Air Force / SAR / Government

Cobham Helicopter Academy

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I thought you would move on to something a bit more challenging than the Irish Air Corps paint Mark. These examples are fantastic and I'm glad you've done them. Apart from adding more for users to enjoy, it also confirms the mapping is OK, at least for those models.

Well done

John
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Thank you for your kind words John as i said in another post, your Paint Kits are a pleasure to use!

Pakistan are still waiting for a number of these to be finished so im just doing what they have now with a possible update next year when they receive them all.

Painters, When john's packs are released and you are thinking about painting some up please if possible let me know what you will be doing so we dont dupe any.. :)

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

With all these cool screenshots it makes me miss the flyable AW139 I had for FS9.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

The 2 remaining AW139s of HM Coastguard UK, based at MoD st. Athan, althouh apparently they took delivery of the first AW189 today!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Those are some great repaints you have worked up Mark. Good job.
ggeccles
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by ggeccles »

Australia has quite a few AW139's in service in many parts of the country ranging from the very plain Toll ambulance fleet to the colourful Westpac Rescue Fleet.

I would be only too happy to paint each if you want to add Australia to your packages.

Cheers,
Graham
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

We are just on the verge of releasing the packages Graham, so I don't want to disturb the zips or the documentation at this stage. Feel free to paint as much as you like with the paint kit that will accompany the release.

John
ggeccles
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by ggeccles »

That’s fine thanks John. I’ll do those repaints anyway for my own use but be aware they will be available if you want to do something with them a little further down the track.

By coincidence, one of the Westpac AW139’s flew directly over my house just after my last post and again while I am typing this. The Westpac Base is about 9 or 10 kilometres down the road.

Cheers,
Graham
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The AW139's (FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4), including the paint kit, have been sent for inclusion in the Download Hangar. The accompanying scenery and flight plans from Brent and Giorgio have gone too.

John