The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Panavia Tornado

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
volador
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Re: Panavia Tornado

Post by volador »

Many thanks John for your work and the FS9 version.
Miguel
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yep, I've left some room on the weapons texture sheet, so I can make the WE177 load quite easily. I'll do that.

John
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Kulbit »

John Young wrote: 21 Sep 2018, 20:39 Yep, I've left some room on the weapons texture sheet, so I can make the WE177 load quite easily. I'll do that.

John
That's awesome John !!
Many thanks for the great job !!
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Just to clarify John, which load outs are you planning for each variant?
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

At the moment Dale, I've made, Paveways, Brimstones, Sidewinders, a JP233, a Litening pod and two sizes of fuel tank. I've also included the texture for good old dumb Mk84's if needed. I'll be making the WE177 as stated, plus what might be needed for the Italian and German load-outs when I get that far. I can then assemble suitable load-out combinations (modern and retro) from that stock.

Was there something you wanted for the Saudi examples?

John
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by paul day »

Just a dumb question John. Can I presume there will be a skyshadow on the port outer and a BOZ pod on the starboard outer wing pylons?

Regards Paul Day.
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

John Young wrote: 22 Sep 2018, 13:27 At the moment Dale, I've made, Paveways, Brimstones, Sidewinders, a JP233, a Litening pod and two sizes of fuel tank. I've also included the texture for good old dumb Mk84's if needed. I'll be making the WE177 as stated, plus what might be needed for the Italian and German load-outs when I get that far. I can then assemble suitable load-out combinations (modern and retro) from that stock.

John
Hi John,

I would be more than happy with what you have already planned to provide, but if it is possible then a CBLS model wouldn't go a miss.

Regards
Dale
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

John Young wrote:At the moment Dale, I've made, Paveways, Brimstones, Sidewinders, a JP233, a Litening pod and two sizes of fuel tank. I've also included the texture for good old dumb Mk84's if needed. I'll be making the WE177 as stated, plus what might be needed for the Italian and German load-outs when I get that far. I can then assemble suitable load-out combinations (modern and retro) from that stock.

John
John, to complete the work can you add even the B61 nuclear bomb used by the Tornado of 6 Stormo in the same load configuration of the RAF ones ( three tanks plus the bomb) wich is currently on duty as Nato strike force ?ImageImage

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

In case for model reference... https://www.cgstudio.com/3d-model/b61-1 ... omb-814733

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes to all the above. For the B61 do I paint it white or white/red or is that actually silver/white?
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Panavia Tornado

Post by Kulbit »

John Young wrote:Yes to all the above. For the B61 do I paint it white or white/red or is that actually silver/white?
John i was on service at the WSA vault of the 6 Stormo ,the bomb was painted in silver with black nose (for inert) The ones painted in withe red is used by Usaf for telemetry reasons during specific trials. If you need othes info please feel free to ask !!

Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

ImageImage

John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks for that.

Just as a quick update, I have the wrap around camouflage paint applied together with the detailed panel lines. The ambient occlusion layer has been generated and tweaked to give depth to the texture and I'm just about to start work on the markings. The master model has been circuit tested in FS9 and the FDE and all the animation is working well. I need to test it point to point over a distance and at altitude so I can check how fast it will go and find the right speed setting to swing the wings . As soon as I have the FS9 model completed, I'll convert it for FSX/P3D and post some screen shots.

Then it's production time with the load-out options and as many paints that I can reasonably do myself.

A potential difficulty might be the anniversary and special paint schemes because there were so many and some are very complex. What I don't know yet is how many of those special schemes are still in service today, because I'll only be considering the current Tornado population, plus the retro's for Manfred and probably for my retro RAF Marham (GR1's).

If anyone has any information on the special schemes currently in service please, that would be great.

John
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Only two RAF specials currently in service:
ZG752/129 - Last Noted 10-07-18 with 31 Sqn at Marham - RAF100 Sticker
ZG771/133 - Last Noted 14-08-18 with 31 Sqn at Marham - Currently RAF Marham 100th Anniversary Special Tail
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

For Italian Air Force the 311° GV RSV-60° ANNIVERSARY in awesome special painting
ImageImageImage

bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

Unfortunately already grounded...😡
Giorgio
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

Are there not also specific payloads for the ECR version?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There are indeed.
The trouble is that John could get bogged down in different weapon fits for each air arm.
It maybe that as the Kormoron was used by The Kriegsmarine, The Luftwaffe and the AMI that he may a fit that can be used to demonstrate this weapon. The Luftwaffe ECR birds also carry the HARM as well, not sure about the AMI.

It would be nice to see these on models. If so I hope that the Brits here won't complain if John puts a limit on the number of models he produces and so has to cull a few brit-fits to enable these other fits to see the light of day.

In an ideal world he would do every possible fit, but the reality is that there is a limit to his endurance and patience on a project and John does not go back to a project once completed.
So by all means nominate a candidate fit but he has to spread them around the air arms a bit. So if your particular favourite fit doesn't make it I hope that it will be remembered that the new model will have more mdl flexibility that the original FMAI one.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Nicely summarised Steve.

Thanks also, for the info on the paint schemes.

I'll do all that I can to create an international mix of load-out options. To help that, I've put all the items on a separate texture sheet to go in the main FS texture folder, as I did for the A10's. In fact there are two sheets, one for retro and one for modern. That helps with different colours on things like fuel tanks (camo v grey) as well as obsolete items like the JP233 and modern ones like the Litening pod. The split should give me a bit more room for a few more. I have a feeling that I'm going to have more models than the 17 I did for the AW139!

It's not troubling me at the moment though. I've really enjoyed modelling the aircraft after I went to Duxford for a close look. I'm really pleased with the newly painted one sitting on the FS9 ramp at my test airfield. I'm tempted to post a screen shot, but I think I'll wait for the FSX/P3D conversion with a Brüggen example. It's the primary reason for tacking the Tornado and I'd like to present Manfred with first sight of that version rather than the new FS9 one.

John
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Post by Manschy »

A real pleasure, John - and also a formidable challenge to create the playground for it...
Regards, Manfred.