The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Panavia Tornado

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FSX

Re: Panavia Tornado

Post by VulcanDriver »

Lovely looking model john, any chance of the F3 for retro stuff please.
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

Correction: In this picture ( https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CcuqwQSUcAA_wk2.jpg ) you can see the Saudi's using the AIM-9.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I''ve already made the parts for the F3 John. I will probably paint one aircraft from each squadron and leave the rest to those who are interested.

The LODs for the GR4's are almost done and I'll will be starting the FSX/P3D conversion shortly.

John
lowlevelRAF
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by lowlevelRAF »

For the modern update to GR4, would there be an option to have the updated aerial fit? Plus, Terma pod option as well?

http://www.tornadosig.com/uploads/4/2/0 ... 7_orig.jpg
vAOC vRAF.net (On Vatsim)
Current projects: RAF Brize Norton, RAF Lossiemouth & RAF Odiham.
Complete: RAF Valley
C-130H
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by C-130H »

All I can say is wow! Great work! I look forward to installing these!
Place enough force behind a brick and it will fly!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm just about swamped with options at the moment John. With the Alarm and Harm load-outs now added, the only way to accommodate the Terma pod is to re-size one of the other weapons on the texture sheet to make room for it and then re-map the affected part through the LODs. It's not really an option to replace the BOZ 107 with the Terma since most photos show the 107 still being carried. I'll keep the option in mind though and see what the option list looks like when we get to it.

The modern aerial fit is much easier so long as it is applied to all the modern GR4 models. I don't want to double all the load-outs with a choice of two aerial options - it has to be one or the other. I also need to know what the new fit looks like.

John
ukvoodoo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by ukvoodoo »

I have no words after reading through this thread, the quality of work and attention to detail absolutely astounds me on every post that you create :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023

I have a slightly biased fondness of the GR4 :oops:
Attachments
42734834_10156926935828109_8334729933079183360_o.jpg
42709093_10156926936168109_9086249016882102272_o.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thank you. I enjoy working out the detail and accommodating it where I can and if it can be accomplished within my target polygon count.

That's an unusual load-out option in your two photographs: a BOZ-107 on each outer wing pylon.

I have the first LOD of the FSX/P3D core model in the air......

John
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

Joe,

have you provide the possibility to have the double rails option on yhe wing pylons ofted used by the RAAF to carry a twin ALARM missile configuration as shown here ?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I haven't done that. It could be done, but it's yet another option that just adds to the complexity and the work through the LODs when 3 models of each load-out are needed - one for each sim version.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I think the question here is is that the normal configuration when carrying the ALARMS?
If not the chances are that it will not get done.
If it is then if there is an ALARM configured GR4 then it will probably be done.

Once again I remind people that there are multiple loads for multiple nations and JY could spend the rest of his life creating Tornado fits - but he will not. Try to keep your suggestions to standard fits only. The chances are that one off or rarely used fits are not going to make it.
Steve
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

Evidence from all the latest image sources suggest that this is the actual UK SEAD currently configuration...

it's even ussed for the long range stand off weapons strike (as performed in Libya campaign) with four Storm Shadow and four Alarm for SAM self defence...

Note that for longest range mission just two Storm Shadows (on fuselage pylons) and two Alarms (on the inner wings pylons rails ) are carried toghether with two hindemburg fuel tanks

Of course this not means that John have to rebuild the model just for a configuration even if it's standard !!
He just done an awesome work !! We don't really want to mede his work a pain !!

I'm currently preparing a scheme with the common load configaration for each users,
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Kulbit,

The RAF never really used the Alarm on the wing pylons, the images you have shown were most likely taken to show the capability of the aircraft should they need it. Alarms were mainly loaded to the fuselage pylons.

For the storm shadow again the first picture is to demonstrate that the aircraft could carry 4 should a situation be needed for them to carry 4. They would usually only carry 2 on the fuselage stations.

John has most likely already decided what configurations he is going to model so perhaps it's best to wait and see what he has made first. Maybe afterwards if John doesn't mind he might add additional models.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No you are OK at the moment. I've been occupied this week assembling the GR1 configurations, of which there are 8 plus a GR1A that I don't need for Manfred but I think would be good to have in any case. Although I have most of the stores made for the GR4's/4A's, I haven't got as far as allocating them to the rails and pylons and generating the range of models. I'll do that after I have finalised the retro's.

Better to know now about desired load-outs for the modern models, than trying to re-jig 6 of the LODs in each of the 3 sim versions each time to make changes later. That's assuming I have room on the texture sheet, which is all but exhausted with 16 stores options at the moment.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I’ve completed the GR1 models and at least one of each of the paints for the 4 squadrons in Manfred’s work in progress RAF Brüggen.

After discussing it with him, we have decided to populate the airfield as it was in 1990. Brüggen closed in 2001, which sets the later limit. JP233’s tended not to be used after 1991 because, as I read, it was discovered in the first Gulf War that they risked the aircraft too greatly on the delivery run. They were banned in any case after the Ottawa Treaty of 1998. Nuclear strike capability with the WE177 ended in 1998. To include these two load-outs, the era really needed to have been set to before 1991. In 1990, two striking anniversary paint schemes appeared that also contributed to the decision to model for that date. What really clinched it however is that by picking 1990, traffic from Manfred’s Gütersloh, which closed in 1993 and my retro RAF Marham, also set in 1993, can sensibly be interchanged.

Only GR1’s are featured in this retro batch. The GR4 was progressively introduced by the RAF generally from 1997 to 2003 which is a bit late relative to the Brüggen closure.

There are 7 model options, plus a GR1A, which is not needed by Manfred, but I think will come in handy for someone else. There are 3 sets of models and paints, one for each of the 3 FS versions (FS9, FSX and P3Dv4).

Here are the models in my test scenery (all screen shots are in FSX):

Paveway:

CBLS:

JP233:

WE177:

Clean (pylons):

GR1A:

13 Sqn Anniversary:

17 Sqn Anniversary:

Night - all the aircraft have navigation and taxi/landing lights. I'm still working on the afterburner:

For stopping power, all the models have animated flaps, slats, spoilers, deflecting horizontal stabilisers and working thrust reverser buckets. Tornado's don't generally use the large airbrakes either side of the fin for landing. Pity really that I only discovered that after I cut them out and animated them (they are now glued down):

Finally, it wouldn't really be a Tornado without wing sweep. I've set this to occur at 300 KTAS, well clear of circuit speed and below the cruise speed in the aircraft.cfg file:

I'll move on next to loading up the modern-day RAF GR4/GR4A's and completing the specimen paints. After that will come Italy, Germany and Saudi Arabia but in no particular order.........

John
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

They look absolutely beautiful John. Really top draw work there! Also really glad that you have made the A too. You are correct about the air brakes on landing. With having the buckets the thrust would be directly onto the air brakes causing structural stress/damage.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

:shock: :smt023

Giorgio
airplanedoktor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by airplanedoktor »

Absolutely stunning! Beautiful work John.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

O my god, o my god, o my god - Have to do all-nighter after all-nighter to get the base ready until your release (will not be able, but consider a pre-version as open beta...). John, the amount of detail on the one hand in liaison with this incredible short timeline to finish these projects - my honest deference and thank you in the name of all virtual pilots which are waiting so long for the Tonkas getting flyable in P3Dv4!
Regards, Manfred.
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

With regard of some special paint suggestion....

Starting from Germany two special paint of the 33rd Wing (Jagdbombergeschwader 33), at Büchel:

The special paint to celebrate the job of 702nd MUNNS The MUNSS is tasked to receive, store, maintain, and account for US Nuclear munitions (B61) and to provide those munitions to the NATO strike wing commander when directed.
The MUNSS mission is one of the most critical within the USAFE theater of operations."

German other Tornado squadron the 51st Wing "Immelmann", at Schleswig Air Base, with Tornado ECR here in Tiger meet 2018 livery