The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Panavia Tornado

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Manschy
Major
Major
Version: P3D

Re: Panavia Tornado

Post by Manschy »

John, european Air Bases will be resuscitated finally in P3Dv4. What a gift....
Regards, Manfred.
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: MSFS

Post by Kulbit »

John,

what a fantastic job, I am speechless !!
It was a real pleasure and a pride, to have been of help !!
Can't wait to see all this masterpieces in the sim !!
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Absolutely beautiful John, stunning work. Every minute you spend on this project is much appreciated by everyone I'm sure.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

These are the 7 Luftwaffe IDS and ECR models plus the 2018 Tiger Meet special paint:

I won't show all the models because in the main they are the same as the Italian ones, but there are some exceptions. The Luftwaffe aircraft are often seen with ALQ119 jamming pods rather than a second BOZ-107 on the left outer wing pylon. This is the ECR and also has the larger pod under the nose, which is absent on the Italian ECR:

Instead of Storm Shadows, the Luftwaffe long range strike mission employs Taurus cruise missiles:

The special tiger paint scheme, is perhaps a little crude compared to past examples (not sure why the Panther on the fin), nevertheless, I've painted it as it is:

I need to take a breather for a day, just to assemble the single file structure into the different Tornado types to make the files more manageable. I can then get the Italian and Luftwaffe examples off to Giorgio who is working on scenery to go with them. I'll then complete this Tornado project with the Saudi examples and send them in Dale's direction. That will leave me to work on the afterburner before numbering up the RAF squadrons - retro and modern, ready for packaging.

John
Kulbit
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Kulbit »

John,

You are a true Artist man !!
With regards of the Panthers ( symbol of Luftwaffengeshwader 51 ) it must be consider that the Tiger meet , wich initially was reserved to all the Nato Squadrons wich have a tiger as part of its squadron crest is actually extended to squadrons wich have a Feline in the crest like Panthers, Lions , Tigers and Lynx Anyway the camo scheme must recall the tiger stripes in any case.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Not quite a true artist - I forgot the text on either side of the nose (now added):

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Now the Germans as well - let a Kraut say "thank you" :D
Regards, Manfred.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

John Young wrote: 20 Oct 2018, 14:35 I can then get the Italian and Luftwaffe examples off to Giorgio who is working on scenery to go with them.
Just to let you all know.
Ghedi - LIPL is ready, I've updated the old scenery I've made for my first MAIW Package.
Buchel - ETSB. I started working on it, when I was at circa 40% of the job, I gave up! :shock:
I've found one already done here on the forum by gvbeek. (https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/18/1 ... 65#p125515)
gvbeek also did Schleswig - ETNS (https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/18/1 ... 17#p125517)

All these sceneries are for FS9 and use the usual libraries. It should not be a problem to convert them for FSX/P3D.

I've also found this for FSX, but I can't test them. (https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/46/1 ... 85#p152585)
Kulbit has a good Ghedi for FSX/P3D, but he has to find the original file.

Giorgio
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's progress Giorgio, thank you.

I've nearly finished the split of my Tornado composite file into 4 separate aircraft folders as follows:

RETRO:

- RAF Germany GR1's and GR1A's (40 aircraft for Bruggen))

- RAF UK GR1's and GR1A's (25 aircraft for Marham and 41 aircraft for Honington)

MODERN:

- RAF GR4's (22 aircraft for Marham). They are scheduled to be withdrawn from service in March next year. I'm assuming they are still worth producing.

- Italy IDS and ECR (62 aircraft for Ghedi).

Germany IDS and ECR (81 aircraft for Buchel and Schleswig).

I will also need another aircraft folder for Saudi Arabia when I move on to those models next.

Apart from the Saudi aircraft, there's probably around 250 aircraft to number up and make textures for, excluding the 30 I've already done and that's x 2 for FS9 and FSX/P3D. That's a long and tedious job if it's not split up:

- I'm going to produce all the RAF examples myself, retro and modern.

- Giorgio, is it your intention to number up the Italian aircraft for your flight plan, once you have the master files from me please?

- Dale I think will take on the Saudi aircraft.

- Would someone like to take on the German modern day IDS and ECR aircraft please?

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Post by bismarck »

John, I can help if no one else offer his skills in repainting.
As mentioned in the PMs exchanged, I can help in a "not so professional way". :roll:
Try to explain.
When I re-numbered the Italian Tornado for my "Italian Air Force update" package, I've only copied the number needed from another aircraft to the right one. Both the serial on the tail and the code on the nose.
So for example, I had 6-05 MMxyz, and 6-32 MM55041, I've copy-paste the 5 to obtain 6-35 and the zx, to obtain MM550zx.
To do this, I need a "supporting" texture, from which to copy the numbers.
Something like the attached bmp.

The alternative, is to write for me, a step-by-step tutorial for GIMP, to number up in a more serious way. :shock:
I've already give it a try, but it is something that does not want to enter and remain in my mind... I'm becoming older... :evil:

Regards, Giorgio.
Attachments
PAN_Number.bmp
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

Paint brush is ready and waiting for the Saudi examples John. If you want some guidance on the loadouts just let me know.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Giorgio.

I'll be providing you with a layered 2048 x 2048 pixel Photoshop (.psd) master, one for the Italian aircraft and the other for the German ones. I'm assuming GIMP can open a .psd file.

You just need to duplicate the last number layer, switch off the previous one and change the serial. Size, position and font is all set for you. Save the result as a .bmp file with the serial number in the file name, then re-size it to 1024 x 1024 pixels. Keep this file for each individual aircraft because it is used to generate the Dxt3.bmp for FS9 and the Dxt5 (inverted) for FSX/P3D, both with the alpha channel I'll also give you.

If you are unsure about the Dxt5, just return the 1024 pixel.bmps to me and I'll convert them. Don't convert the DXT5 textures from the Dxt3 ones or you will compress the image twice and degrade it.

Does that sound OK?

Dale, thanks for that confirmation. I have the Saudi operational load-out details you sent me. If you could also let me know the rest of the load-outs you want, that would be great - ideally ones I've already produced - I'm up to 34 so far!

John
lowlevelRAF
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by lowlevelRAF »

Fantastic work John! They all look incredible, GR4 my favourite but again i’m biased 8)

Getting very tempted to do a 2006 verison of the Lossiemouth scenery I’m working on for these, 12, 14, XV and 617 all back at the base in sim :smt007

Regards,

Matt
vAOC vRAF.net (On Vatsim)
Current projects: RAF Brize Norton, RAF Lossiemouth & RAF Odiham.
Complete: RAF Valley
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That would be a good use of the GR4 models Matt, but I would gauge the interest first. There's a lot of paint work involved.

Just a quick update generally. I wasn't happy with the pitch of the aircraft when parked. Subtracting 1 degree looks better but I wasn't able to do it with the contact points alone. I had to tweak the models because the main gear was then too low. It takes about 15 minutes per model, but I've done all the Italian and German IDS and ECR's for FS9 and FSX/P3D and the GR1's for FS9, so just a few left to do now.

The Italian Tornado's are now with Giorgio for flight planning. He's identified a few needed changes to the textures and I'll do those before release.

Once I have all the Tornado's to the same level (literally), I'll move on to the Saudi ones so that Dale can start work on his bits. Then I'll paint the German IDS/ECR's, followed by the RAF retro GR1's and GR1A's that are not needed for their projects at the moment. That should then leave the RAF GR4's to complete the project.

It's not a quick process alas and a mishap while out with the dogs last week has slowed me down a little at the moment, but I'll pick up steam again soon I'm sure.

John
DC1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by DC1973 »

Beautiful work John! Blows my early efforts totally out of the water! :)
DC Designs
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I'm getting back into the swing of things. I've revised all 45 Italian paints for Giorgio and so far I've painted up 61 of the 87 German Tornado's. Giorgio has produced the flight plans for both nations and the next step is to view them in the available sceneries to see what can be done to make them (the sceneries) FSX/P3D compatible. We'll post some screen shots once I know what we can do.

Dale now has the FSX/P3D Saudi models and I have to say, he's done a brilliant job of the paint work. He's carrying on with the flight planning and I have invited him to post some screen shots when he is ready.

Next in line for me will be painting the remaining RAF GR4's at Marham. I'll also have a go at the new IX(B) commemorative scheme that Mark (Tranquil) has produced for the existing FMAI Tornado. The retro GR1s come after that because work is still going on with the sceneries and there's no hurry to get them out.

John
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

John kindly let me paint up the Saudi aircraft which I think have the best camo scheme for the Tornado. So far I have flight planned one of the three squadrons so two to go. I plan to have them go off on exercises to Coningsby, Al Dhafra and other locations just like in the real world. The Saudi's have a mix of camo and grey aircraft as they transition them all to grey. I'm also working on a "lite" version of Dhahran to work along side these Tornado's (and the F-15's). Big thank you to John for the great work that he has put in with the aircraft, you guys are going to love them.

Image2018-11-13_12-21-33-707 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-13_12-19-3-927 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-13_12-18-13-175 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-11_12-7-37-993 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-11_12-6-59-287 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr
Image2018-11-11_12-6-5-383 by DaleRFU1, on Flickr

Kind Regards
Dale
:smt006
Greg
MAIW Admin