The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

SSD Defrag

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

SSD Defrag

Post by flyboy »

I have 2 SSDs in two separate computers. The disk utility I use to defrag (Norton Utilities 16), warns me not to use it on SSD drives. It says that it will wear out the drive faster leading to failure. If this true, how to you defrag SSDs. So far, I have used it with no problems but was wanting to know how other people defrag theirs.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: FS9

Re: SSD Defrag

Post by jimrodger »

flyboy wrote: 16 Nov 2018, 15:45 I have 2 SSDs in two separate computers. The disk utility I use to defrag (Norton Utilities 16), warns me not to use it on SSD drives. It says that it will wear out the drive faster leading to failure. If this true, how to you defrag SSDs. So far, I have used it with no problems but was wanting to know how other people defrag theirs.
As the SSD has no moving parts and the file structure is totally different from an HDD there is no need to defrag.

There is a facility called TRIM which optimises SSDs and is usually running invisible to the user.

HTH

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: SSD Defrag

Post by Firebird »

Jim is correct, you should not defrag your SSD.

The reason is due to the nature of the make up of the devices. If you are used to defragging HDs this can be disconcerting. You CAN do it BUT do not as you will wear out the binary switches sooner, these are what limit the life of SSds.

If you open a Admin Command prompt and type in :-
fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

It should come back with 0. If it isn't then type :-
fsutil behavior set DisableDeleteNotify 0

In simple terms the OS knows that it is an SSD and writes data differently than a standard HD.
Steve