The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Downtime

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff
Version: FS9

Downtime

Post by Stewart Pearson »

Following a crash of Windows 10 ( :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ) I have lost FSX and most of my tools etc.

Planning on kicking the heap of &^%$ out and going back to Windows 7.

All work suspended until I get it back.

Thanks a bunch Mr Gates :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Downtime

Post by Firebird »

Wow, what exactly happened, mate. Was it a registry issue - to make you lose the stuff?
Steve
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Steve, after an update by Microsoft, I encountered problems with internet. I did a system restore and the computer said "noooo"

Couldn't repair it using the inbuilt device, so ended up having to reset the whole system.

Spent ages trying to reinstall FSX, which kept hanging with an error. Eventually got it fixed this morning and now have FSX back in.

Fortunately AI stuff remained in the original folder, so in the process of transferring all that over to the new location.

Now have even less hair on my head!
Stew

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well that is progress.
For the benefit of others what was the FSX install error you got and how did you get around it, as you seem to be the first to actually install it on W10 (that I know of - definitively).
Steve
Sophie Marketa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Sophie Marketa »

That is awful to have happen Stewart. I lost nearly every model I ever made 5 years ago in a hard drive crash. I have since found the odd model here and there on old USB drives and DVDs. I use system 8.1 and it seems ok for FSXa. I loaded the simulator to my documents folder, along with all the other simulator proggies I use and give the applications admin rights so my system and security program doesn't block them. I tried system 10 and hated it, I couldn't find things and it seem to take more steps to get around the system. I still think XP was the easiest of the lot.
Sophie
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Hi Steve,

When something like this happens it's either a 1722 or 1603 error - mines was the latter.

In it's infinite wisdom M'soft Windows 10 has a small piece of code which prevents the reinstallation of FSX.

As to why that would be necessary - that's way above my paygrade, but it means that the install process just stops near the end.

From what I read during my trawl last night - it's a licencing thing.

I eventually found a Software Licencing Reset Tool (have attached the zip) which does what it says on the tin.

Details are here: https://windowsreport.com/microsoft-fli ... indows-10/

Seems to have done the trick....................................so far!

Sophie: I agree, XP was the best system
Attachments
mskb928080.zip
(323.77 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Stew

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Very useful page of suggestions there, Stew.
Sounds like the sort of thing we have been searching for to answers to the FSX install issue. Could save a lot of trouble for people.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It was always the case I think, even on Windows 7, that FSX could not be re-installed until an elapsed period - 6 months if I remember rightly. I think the instruction was to contact Microsoft in the event for the user to prove the validity of the license and for Microsoft to lift the curse if they were convinced.

John
Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

You may well be right John - of course Microsoft no longer provide support for FSX and it took me ages trawling through loads of forums/sites to discover this wee fix.

Once reinstalled, I was able to then register the activation code(s) online..............................again!
Stew

Stewart Pearson
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Another link here, which shows you the exact entry you need to use in the Command Prompt section. Remember to run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... imulator-x
Stew

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

If I read that correctly, then it resets all the MS games licenses. So all your MS games will need to be re-registered.

Probably not a bog deal, and it maybe that it won't affect many people but I think that we should point this out.
Steve