The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Major hurdle

Post all your development discussions here that don't fit into any of the above categories.
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Major hurdle

Post by timbob1 »

Ok, I've unfortunately upgraded to Windows 7 from xp to Vista then Windows 7. Have a few problems but got FS9 to run pretty well. However some major problems with FSDS. It's a registered copy, I can make models and texture as before and turn up in sim at Seattle as default in demo mode, but when compiling into mdl, they do not appear in scenery manager to make a library. On inspection, the files have a small padlock symbol over them. I have administrator rights enabled. Don't know any way of getting around this problem. Any help would be appreciated
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Re: Major hurdle

Post by Firebird »

I assume that you mean 10 rather than 7.
What is you installation folder for FSDS?? It works fine for my tinkering around but I don't have it installed in a protected folder.
Can you install it to a different drive?
Steve
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

Nope deffo windows 7, only got the one drive, tried compatability mode but everything I make, I cannot access it due to the model file being locked, bloody daft if you ask me.
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

This is how it looks within FSDS opening projects folder. If I open outside FSDS any new folders are not visable.
Attachments
problem.jpg
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK a quick look on the interweb found this page which seems to indicate that it shouldn't actually be a problem. The issue is that file or folder is shared with nobody.
https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3 ... s-7-a.html

I am sure that there are more pages like this and some might even be more easy to understand but it doesn't seem too difficult to overcome. It seems that the cause might be the way it was installed but not too sure.

If you like pm one of the small files with a lock and one w/o and I will see if I can spot something obvious.
Steve
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

OK I've sent one on to Mike as well, The newly created files dont show up at all if I look inside the projects folder as with all my earlier stuff, but they show inside FSDS when I want to call them up to work on them??????????? Driving me nuts, oh why did they change fro XP, where everything seemed to work ok
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

Nope it won't even attatch here ???
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

Just downloaded and run the .bat program, now it says FSDS in incompatible?????? but it works, just not the compiling function in sdk??????///
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I will keep looking but I never got this problem but it must be admitted that I installed it on 7 and upgraded the OS to 10 with no issue. I checked to see if FSdesign35.exe was set to compatible but it is not.

My version is 3.5.1 which is the version that is compatible with 7. If you are not using that version then I would suggest getting hold of the upgrade file.
Your issue does sound like its a permissions thing which is why I want to see one of the files, if you can't suss it yourself.

I would suggest uninstalling and re-installing FSDS it could be that the security got fouled up on the install.
Also you don't need to run FSDS with admin rights.

How big is your HD? Have you thought about splitting into 2 partitions to get around the plague that is the MS protected folders?
Steve
Sophie Marketa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Sophie Marketa »

1. Make sure FSDS is properly registered.
2. Install FSDS to a folder outside of the program folder.
3. Buy a newer PC. ☺
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

Thanks guys, files were hidden under compatability????? whatever that means so I switched everything over to compatability mode and so far it now works. About the old computer, I should never have changed from my XP system. Everything worked really well I could call up several programs at once and churn out stuff quickly, now it's do you want to do this, run as administrator, doesn't work on my system etc, Vista was a bastard, spent most of the time wizzing in the background checking everything while I waited. I cannot get Google Earth to load now, I used that a lot to measure building sizes and relation to where to place in sim. Rant over
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

There definitely sounds like something is amiss with your OS installation. I have not heard of Google Eath being a problem. I assume that you are using GE Pro, as it is now free.

Just check that your user account is set as an Administrator account rather than Standard.
Steve
Sophie Marketa
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Post by Sophie Marketa »

Tim, I know what you mean. I loved XP.
I now have a gaming machine i7 8700k with GTX1080Ti 11 gig card with system 8.1 with twin 34 inch panoramic thin edge monitors and a frame rate of more than 100 minimum on heavy graphic games. I don't like system 10 at all.
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

All I can say is I somehow am running two systems? Files I save sometimes are fixed and stay visable in FS9 whilst others hide behind compatability mode. For example, I placed trees with ez scenery this morning at Kathmandu Airport. When I loaded it up again the trees had vanished, tried to call up the scenery file but didn't exist? checked the scenery folder and if I clicked compatability it showed up? Same with AFCAD. The new AF2 file doesn't show, even though I've copied and pasted it back in. I'll try Google pro agan but it comes up as ERROR
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I will be honest here and think that there is something badly screwy with your OS.
It is a bit like a friend of my missus who had system problems and when i checked somebody had just copied the whole of the C: drive to the D: drive. The registry got confused and sometimes things would work and sometimes they wouldn't.

Try entering 'sfc /scannow' in an admin command line to see if anything comes up.

I would ask if you have the latest SP applied and maybe most obviously whether you are running the correct version for the processor (32bit/64bit).
Steve