The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Panavia Tornado

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: Panavia Tornado

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Firebird wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 19:12
Trevytt2004 wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 18:02 Really exceptional work as usual....

just wondered....is there a way to 'tweak' or adjust the parameter within the sim that controls the altitude at which the gear is retracted???

looking forward to seeing the F3's....
Not that I have found, mate. There are a few parms that are dynamic and are compiled from various other parms so you can't just set it.
Yeah....great shame...been scouring the web to see if theres a way to modify it...no luck. the tonkas would look awesome pulling wheels up as they leave the runway....
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It can be done by assigning a custom gear animation triggered by speed or altitude instead of using the default c_gear, l_gear, r_gear etc. That works fine in FS9 and I've used the technique before a number of times. It also works in FSX and P3Dv4 but with an unhelpful side effect - the aircraft spawn on the ground with the gear up and then immediately lower it. It looks really odd.

For consistency and ease, I've used default gear triggers for all 3 sims. As Steve has said, we have found no way of influencing that and we probably shouldn't in any case, because it might affect every aircraft in the sim, including commercial AI.

With 120 Tornado models across the 3 sim versions and 6 LODs in each with gear in them, it's too late to change now.

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

John Young wrote: 28 Nov 2018, 12:02 The Tornado GR4's/4A's are all done for FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4 and sent for inclusion in the Download Hangar. Just be patient, I think Greg is away for a few days.
Both packages are now available in the Download Hangar. :D
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Greg.
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by paul day »

Hi John
Just tried the Tornado package in FSX and am one happy bunny. Just one observation. Would it be possible to raise the navigation lights on the intakes to where the navigation light lenses are. Other wise the bar is going up with every new release. Super impressed.

Regards Paul Day.
ado4567
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Post by ado4567 »

how long unitl the Italian tonkas
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

any german tonka and raf f3 tonka comeing all are the f3 not getting made
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

I just opened the Tornado traffic file with AIFP and there are a lot of "departure scheduled before or very close to arrival of previous leg" errors.

Flightplan #9 leg 14
Flightplan #10 leg 16
Flightplan #13 leg 4, 5, an 13
Flightplan #14 leg 2, 4, and 13
Flightplan #15 leg 6 and 12
Flightplan #16 leg 2, 12, and 14
Flightplan #17 leg 3 and 6
Flightplan #18 leg 3 and 6
Flightplan #21 leg 2, 4, 6 and 12
Flightplan #22 leg 2, 4, 6 and 12
Flightplan #23 leg 10 and 16
Flightplan #24 leg 10 and 16

Should I try and fix these errors?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Responses to questions:

Paul, Thanks for the kind comments. I'll have a look at the intake Nav lights. No problem for FS9 as they are in the aircraft.cfg file. For FSX and P3D they are embedded in LOD 1 and will need a change to every model. Shouldn't take long though.

Asdo4567, have you any idea just how much work, time and stamina is involved in producing 120 Tornado models and 710 paints with scenery and flight plans for each in 3 sim versions? Please don't harass me for the Italian and German Tornado's the day after I released the RAF ones. I'll release the Italian ones when I've finished the manual and packaging. I'll release the German when Gert has finished his update to his two sceneries as I've already mentioned. I've already said too, that I'll make the F-3, but that's not going to happen for some time yet.

Joseph 29, don't worry about the flight plan legs. Those are for circuit flight plans and work fine. The rest are from the old MAIW traffic file updated with the new model names.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

ado4567 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 21:51 any german tonka and raf f3 tonka comeing all are the f3 not getting made
ado4567 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 21:49 how long unitl the Italian tonkas
Truly exhausting, to my opinion a kind of spam. John, most of us know about your hard work and effort with the best AI aircraft currently in my eyes. Furthermore your patience to answer all this kind of posts still in a friendly way.
If it takes too long, just build your own AI, ado :wink:
Regards, Manfred.
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by DaleRFU »

ado4567 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 21:51 any german tonka and raf f3 tonka comeing all are the f3 not getting made
ado4567 wrote: 02 Dec 2018, 21:49 how long unitl the Italian tonkas
Your work is absolutely outstanding John. Most of us know the hard work that you put into making them and we all appreciate the the hard work and dedication that you put into them. Like with everything, people should accept that they will come when they come.

Thanks for all the hard work.

:smt006
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

You just have to drown in work for 10 months and when you come back... There sits a lovely Tornado.

Absolutely outstanding, John!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

So nice to hear from you Martin. I'm sure you will like the German ones even more. Not far off now.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I am absolutely sure, John.

Mark and Ray - are you going to redo some of your stunning special paints for John's Tornado?

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think I've done all the specials that are currently flying, apart from the 4 German Tornado's at Manching. These are on my to-do list and two of them are painted in the old green camo scheme that I need to create for the first time. Any additional specials are likely to be retro and may not have a large following. Apart from that the mapping will be different to that on the FMAI model which might be awkward.

It's probably not a lot of fun going over old ground, but if Mark and Ray would like an early paint kit and a model or two, I can certainly supply that.

John
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

gsnde wrote: 04 Dec 2018, 18:01 Mark and Ray - are you going to redo some of your stunning special paints for John's Tornado?
Hi Martin, i wasnt planning on doing any retro repaints for this stunning model, i do however look forward to doing any new ones we shall see in the coming new year.. most notably Tiger Meet 2019..

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Tranquil wrote: 08 Dec 2018, 11:50 Hi Martin, i wasnt planning on doing any retro repaints for this stunning model
:smt022
Steve
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

the problem for me is time, only get 1 day a week now :roll:
but i would love to paint some or all the retro schemes on John's new tonka
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I may have impaired hearing, but I understood that Mark would love to do the new ones and Ray would love to do the retro ones... That does sound good

Everything you two have ever done and will do in future is always a most stunning and welcome addition!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I agree totally. Just let me know when you want a paint kit, although it might be better to finish the packaging of the Italian, German and Saudi Tornado's first. I would have sent the Saudi ones for inclusion in the Download Hangar today, but the distractions got in the way of the final checks. Should be on their way tomorrow though.

John