The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10

Post by Firebird »

I agree with what Kev says.
I think that it may be the same with all SSDs but it definitely is the case with Samsung ones. Their drives do come with Migration software.
If you are nervous and/or ultra-cautious all you need to do is purchase a lead which is USB to SSD, I think mine cost a fiver at the time.
You plug in the lead to a USB port and attach the SSD and run the software. It only copies your boot partition. Once done, shutdown your PC and exchange the two SSDs over. Once your prove that it all works by booting up from the new drive you can attach the old drive using the USB lead and format it and you now have an SSD to add to your system for scenery.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

See if this helps anyone having problems re-installing FS2004 or FSX because of the CD security stuff....

I used an internal BluRay player, and although a little slow both installed directly off the 'CD's.

Of course you still need the NOCD patch.
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by bvanhout »

Hi All,

I have searched for answers elsewhere to no avail.
For some reason over the last week or so Win 10 has started adding the IE icon to my taskbar. If I remove it, a short while later it appears on the taskbar again.
Any suggestions appreciated.

Regards
Brian
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The only thing that I can think of is that IE is your default browser. Would this be the case?

Also how do you remove it?
Steve
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Thanks Steve,

From the settings:
"Google Chrome is your default browser"
To remove from taskbar I right click and select "unpin from taskbar".

Brian
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK. Did this start happening when you set Chrome as the default?

What I did was look on my system at the folder for the pinned apps :-
C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

This is where I found all of my pinned shortcuts. It might that for some reason the shortcut is not getting deleted.

The other interesting thing is that when i checked yesterday there was a shortcut to the effect of 'open internet browser'. i can't be more specific than that as this morning there was an update to 17763.404 and after that was completed that shortcut is no longer there.

What happened when i double clicked on that shortcut was that it actually opened Edge which has a shortcut, but is NOT in the folder above.
This is why I asked the question above.

Now try looking in that folder to see what you see. What happens when you run that not-specific-browser link?
When you unpin IE does the shortcut disappear from that folder?

It might be worth upgrading to the latest version of 1809 as they definitely changed something to do with the taskbar folder.

If the worst come to the worst 1903 will be out in a couple of weeks and what it might be worth doing is when it asks you to reboot to update then unpin IE again then and immediately reboot. That might solve the issue.

My gut feeling is that it is a registry issue somewhere.
Steve
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Firebird wrote: 04 Apr 2019, 10:57 OK. Did this start happening when you set Chrome as the default?

No Chrome has always been the default.

What I did was look on my system at the folder for the pinned apps :-
C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar

I removed it from here as well, but it still returns.

This is where I found all of my pinned shortcuts. It might that for some reason the shortcut is not getting deleted.

The other interesting thing is that when i checked yesterday there was a shortcut to the effect of 'open internet browser'. i can't be more specific than that as this morning there was an update to 17763.404 and after that was completed that shortcut is no longer there.

What happened when i double clicked on that shortcut was that it actually opened Edge which has a shortcut, but is NOT in the folder above.
This is why I asked the question above.

Now try looking in that folder to see what you see. What happens when you run that not-specific-browser link?
When you unpin IE does the shortcut disappear from that folder?

I will check this

It might be worth upgrading to the latest version of 1809 as they definitely changed something to do with the taskbar folder.

I was reluctant to load updates as I read there had been some issues with Nvidia graphics cards

If the worst come to the worst 1903 will be out in a couple of weeks and what it might be worth doing is when it asks you to reboot to update then unpin IE again then and immediately reboot. That might solve the issue.

My gut feeling is that it is a registry issue somewhere.

My feeling too.

Thanks again for the assistance.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I can put your mind at rest. I have an nvidia card and the latest drivers, or close to it, and I have had no issues at all.

What version are you currently on?

Now I altered my search on the net and found this :-https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads ... t.3127927/

This is mainly about resetting the taskbar complete which will wipe out the all the pinned items but should then clear your issue.
What you need to do first is take a back up of that section of the registry exactly as it describes, so that you can undo it, and then make a note somewhere of the apps you have pinned, so that you can replace them later.

I took a look at my reg entry and there was nothing obviously linked to IE, however, under the Taskband group there is an 'AuxilliaryPins' group which on my system only contains 'MailPin' which I am guessing is for the MS Mail app on my toolbar.

It might be worth going through that article and if not clearing out the Taskbar folder at least clearing out the Taskband group.
As you may well be aware when you export part of the registry it is saved as a .reg file and when you double click on it it will be automatically be added.

If you are unsure of mincing around with the registry feel free to answer questions before you attempt it but I was able to follow the article easily. Post #4 explains it manually.
Steve
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Thanks Steve,

I most definitely will.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Did that fix your problem?
Steve
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Did the windows updates and now it only seems to appear on the taskbar after a reboot.
Will monitor it for a few days.
Thanks for the assistance.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Did you clear out the taskbar via the registry, as per article?
Steve
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

I am running the new build (1903) on three computers (two laptops and one desktop) with no problems. It takes awhile to set up and install but everything went well. I got it early thru Windows Insider program. Should be available for everyone in mid-May.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Gents,
Taking into account the previous big update and the issues I thought that I would give you some personal experiences with the 1903 update now available but not yet a forced update.

Firstly I had no issues updating although I did take heed about some people having issues if they had external SSD devices attached.
Even though this bug was squashed before being released, I still detached the devices first purely to speed up the process by a small amount.

No issues were found.

I have found only two issues since the update. Firstly the update updated the display drivers. I knew this as the jaggies were back in FS9. I also perceived that the game was slightly sluggish compared to before.

I got and installed the latest Nvidia driver , 430.39, and reapplied the Nvidia Inspector patches. The game seemed to be the same as before the update. So I would recommend installing/re-installing your latest graphic card drivers straight after the update.

I have found no operational issues that affected anything adversely. One thing I will mention is that a svchost.exe process was taking up around 100% of a CPU after a little while. This was traced to a CDPUserSVc thread (Connected Devices Platform)
Looking on the internet some people have had issues with this for various years but it had not affected me before now. Obviously if you have 6 or 8 cores this is not such an issue, but if you have 4 or 2 then it is.

You can kill the process but in my case it respawns twice more before disappearing completely but it reappears on reboot.
Now the only way to prevent it reoccurring is to make a change to the registry.
What I read seemed to indicate that you don't stop the CDPUserSvc itself but the subservient CDPUserSvc_<suffix>, in my case ea148.

The way to find or to be sure of the process is to open up Powershell and type :-
get-service | where Name -like "cdpu*"

For me this returned :-
Status Name DisplayName
------ ---- -----------
Running CDPUserSvc_ea148 Connected Devices Platform User Ser...

Then I ran regedit and went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\CDPUserSvc_ea148
The Start parm was altered from 2 to 4 in hex. This will stop it autorestarted after a reboot.

In short if you are on 1809 or even earlier I am not aware of any reason NOT to update to 1903.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well I well and truly screwed myself.

I was investigating a portable freeware app to manage Windows filewall, and it took over control and didn't allow any internet access.

So the easy way out was to restore from the latest backup of my C (System) and D (Programs) drives that was taken on Saturday morning. I use Acronis True Image and have made well over 50 recoveries in the past, as I always make sure that I take weekly full back ups of all my partitions,

Except that the recovery has crewed my system. It took 30 secs and seemingly wiped out my OS (C drive). Upshot no OS, no useful backup, no PC. The backup is normal backup size but it seemingly is only looking for incremental changes of which there are none.

This is the first restore since the latest upgrade to True Image 2020 and this one altered the backup settings. The restore USB says that it is an incremental backup even though it is a full backup

I can't even repair the Windows installation as it says it can't find one.

This may take some time. It could well cost me in the region of £100s to replace software I have already bought including Windows, Office. Plus I will probably lose a whole bunch of stuff that I have paid for years ago but would never be able to find the purchase info for.

Yes I was on 10 version 1909 but I can't stress enough that that wasn't the issue. Even my needless investigating wasn't the issue. The complete failure of the backup and recovery system is to blame.

For somebody that spends up to 10 hrs a day on his 'puter this whole thing is really depressing.

I am currently forced to correspond using my other halves PC. :cry:
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Windows - If it was Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10 during the free period, you have a digital entlement. Just download / re-install 10 and select 'I don't have a product key' during the install.
It will auto activate.

Office - As long as you have the key, you should be able to get it again from Micrososft.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Are you saying that if I don't have my key it will auto connect to microsoft and it will recognise my machine as valid?

If that is the case that would be remarkably helpful, but I thought all it did was allow an install but you still had to buy a key afterwards.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

If you upgraded from Windows 7 during the free period, then no you don't need a key.
It will recognise the hardware and auto activate.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Yes, that how it work's

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Swipe me that is good. OK so in theory I can get Windows 10 back on board without extra cost but everything else will still cost, even office.

I base this on the recent case of a new laptop. Tried to reactivate Office and the automatic reactivation didn't recognise the code nor did a manual call to MS. So will have to purchase a new key for that as well.

To be honest it is things like FSDS, AFX, Harpoon and my favourite editor UltraEdit that worry me. Even if I was able to repair the D disk (programs) w/o the registry files they would be useless.
Steve