The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows Resource Protection Error

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Windows Resource Protection Error

Post by flyboy »

I am having trouble updating Windows due to error Error 0x800705aa. I tried to run sfc/scannow but get Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation notification. I ensured that the Windows Module Installer had started
using the following commands from CMD Run as Admin prompt: sc config trustedinstaller start= auto and net start trustedinstaller. Rebooted into Safe mode ran chkdsk /x /f /r. After finishing, I tried to run sfc/scannow but got to 5% and gave me Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation notification again. Tried DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and ICACLS C:\\Windows\\winsxs but no luck.

Also tried:

net user administrator /active:yes
msconfig
cmd
mkdir %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp\PendingDeletes %WinDir%\WinSxS\Temp\PendingRenames

Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Firebird or Greg and ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Windows Resource Protection Error

Post by Firebird »

OK well the most common cause of that error is windows system files damage.
Taking into consideration that the sfc returned a windows protection error it would seem that you have got a least one corrupted permissions item, and probably more - most likely a folder.

Now what you didn't say is what version you have got. I will assume 10 so if it is not then please state which one it is.

Depending upon how long you have had the error will determine whether or not you can go the system to an earlier time.

Now it maybe that you do that. In which case the best bet is to do a repair using the Media Creation Tool https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... windows10/

Now it can be used to upgrade, to re-install or to build a recovery disk on a USB key.
I would recommend creating a USB repair flash drive, purely because you have a partially corrupted system.

Once you have created the USB, and making sure that your system can boot from it, restart your PC from the USB.

What you will then do is upgrade the PC. Choose that option.
When Windows 10 is ready to install, you’ll see a recap of what you’ve chosen, and what will be kept through the upgrade. Select Change what to keep to set whether you would like to Keep personal files and apps, or Keep personal files only, or choose to keep Nothing during the upgrade.

It goes w/o saying that you will want to keep files and apps or bits of disk will be cleared and the registry will be amended.

If you read that MS page on the tool you should get an idea of what you need to do but by all means check on other sites on how to repair using the Media Creation Tool.

Remember do not commit to any recovery unless you have chosen to keep your files and apps.

I have used the MCT several times over several versions with no issues.

Hope this helps.
Steve
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

Thank you Steve for the information. The last thing I did was create a USB using MCT. I am using version 1809 on a fresh install so no roll back. I do want to keep my applications and programs.
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

Steve I booted from the USB and it said to upgrade, I need to boot normal and run from the installation media. I did that and it has hung at 58% three times I tried it.

Do I need to give up and do a clean install???
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

So are you able to boot normally at the moment?
Do have backups of your partitions?
Steve
flyboy
Major
Major

Post by flyboy »

Steve I was able to boot normal but the installation media would hang at 58%. I have backups, but I went ahead and did a complete wipe and reinstall. Windows update worked fine and I ran SFC /Scannow with 100% verification. I am in the process of uploading the rest of my programs.

Thanks for the assist.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem. I am sorry that you had to go through that.
It is another example of why I split my system up into various partitions.
C drive for the system.
D Drive for any applications that are installed and need the registry.
E Drive for data and portable apps that don't use the registry.
F Drive for FS9.
S Drive for FS scenery.

This way it means that if the worst comes to the worst the biggest issue is the D drive recovery of installable apps. That would be the most painstaking and troublesome.
I backup the C and D partitions at the same time. The F and S together on another day and the E drive on a third day.

I do this to minimize the issues of a complete rebuild.
If MS weren't so damn secretive and closed about the registry all this wouldn't be necessary. Roll on the day where ALL software companies produce portable versions of their programs.
Steve