The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

FSX Battle of Britain

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Re: FSX Battle of Britain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Middle Wallop
The base was opened as RAF Middle Wallop, a training school for new pilots in 1940. It was originally intended for bomber use, however with the Battle of Britain being fought, No. 609 Squadron RAF, flying the Supermarine Spitfire, was moved to Middle Wallop. It kept some of its originally intended use when No. 604 Squadron were based at Middle Wallop on the 13 August. They flew the Blenheim, a light bomber.
If you don't try you can never succeed, if you always try you succeed more.
Twitter: @Brandon71822792
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Fair enough. They had converted to Beaufighters by Sept 15.
I guess the main point here is that you do have AI Hurricanes to use but I don't believe that there are any AI versions of the Blenheim 1F.
Steve
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

I have a non-AI one with a MK.1 nose that I am using
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I hope it works for you.
Steve
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

It works!!!!!
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Have I earned the hangar? PS. a Blenheim now flies out of the airport
Attachments
updated airport.PNG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

You do make it difficult to follow at times Brandon. I wasn't associating Middle Wallop as a Battle of Britain airfield when you said at the beginning of this thread you were going to start with Hornchurch, Biggin Hill and Coltishall.

Ironically enough, I've always wanted to make a Beaufighter, I think it's one of the best looking aircraft ever made (hence its name I guess), but never had a scenario in mind to put it to use. If your flyable Blenheim works as AI, it should be fine frame rate wise since the scenery is not dense. The SP2 patch will help with that.

When you come to set up the AI from Middle Wallop, you will need to think about your intentions "I will..... get the RAF to fly to the German airbase, Germans fly to the British base".

When the respective aircraft reach the destination airfield, gear down, what will they do? You have a few options, the most convincing one being the most difficult.

Tell you what, since I am now clear this is a BOB project, I'll send you a C-type hangar and a few Nissen huts if you get the AI working from Middle Wallop to wherever in Germany.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Thankyou John, I aim for them to do touch and goes instead of actually landing at enemy airports
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

They don't have to TNG, you could get them to overshoot instead. There's an even better way, but I've never tried it myself. You position a waypoint (an AFCAD file with a fictious ICAO code, a tiny runway and no parking) at say 10-15 miles beyond the destination airfield and you get the aircraft to fly there. You then adjust the position of the waypoint so the track takes it over the enemy airfield - gear up and at speed.

It would be a complete pig to test each time you adjust the waypoint and you would probably want to have the runway open in only one direction. It's the same principle as a flypast. Mike MacIntyre did it for me with a Sea Harrier flyby with my HMS Ocean scenario.

Don't ask me to do it for you though, I'm busy chopping windows out of a C-130J fuselage at the moment.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

I`ll try that John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I wouldn't if I were you. It's way beyond what you can do at the moment. I have a feeling you need another waypoint before the approach too and that makes the structure and timing of the flightplan tricky. That's beyond my capability too.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Would you like me to send you the Middle Wallop and Leeuwarden sceneries
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Not at the moment thanks. I'd rather wait until you have the AI in place at Middle Wallop and it has somewhere to go to.

I hate to assume anything after the Middle Wallop confusion, but is Leeuwarden the "German" destination? It's actually in the Netherlands of course.

What ICAO code are you giving to each airfield?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry, you did say "German", not Germany. I keep switching between your project and mine and losing the plot of both.

The only problem with Leeuwarden is that it's a 680 mile round trip from Middle Wallop. That's OK for the Blenheims but would be outside the range of BF-109's coming the other way, at least in the real world.

Just a few thoughts about the Blenheim. Do you have a paint kit for it and what does the owner have to say about repainting? If you can repaint but don't have a paint kit and you convert the existing texture to RGB for editing and then back again to Dxt5, that will degrade the image a tad.

If you are going to upload the finished package, will you direct users to the Blenheim download? They may not want to use a flyable aircraft as AI.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Let me try and answer these questions.
Leeuwarden is the German destination.
No BF-109s are going to fly out of it as it was a BF-110 base.
There will only be 1 Blenheim as that squadron was retiring them at that point.
IACOs will be the same as the current ones for the airports that exist, ones I have to make will be BOB1, BOB2 etc.
I have 1 Hurricane (your one with a repaint) going to and from Middle Wallop and Leeuwarden
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

So the AI from Middle Wallop is going to consist of 1 Blenheim and 1 Hurricane? Is that it?

From The Forces War records web site:

"The base was opened as RAF Middle Wallop, a training school for new pilots in 1940. It was originally intended for bomber use, however with the Battle of Britain being fought, No. 609 Squadron RAF, flying the Supermarine Spitfire, was moved to Middle Wallop. It kept some of its originally intended use when No. 604 Squadron were based at Middle Wallop on the 13 August. They flew the Blenheim, a light bomber".

If your scenario was mid-BOB, then you could have a full squadron of Spitfires and Blenheims and give the project some meat, but it's your call.

Are you going to have BF-110 AI flying from Leeuwarden? If that's the case what aircraft are you going to use?

You can't use modern day ICAO codes for historic scenarios. You will get modern day AI appearing if users have flight plans featuring those airfields active. You have to allocate fictitious ones.

What 3-D objects do you have at Middle Wallop?
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

At the moment its 1 Hurri and 1 Blenheim.
I will use a flyable BF-110
I currently have none. I am hoping that youll enjoy my scenery and AI and reward me with a hangar and Nissen huts. If you want I can send you the Hurri texture
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Sorry Brandon, this is a ridiculous game of producing rabbits out of hats and twenty questions to try and determine what it is you want to achieve. A few days back I asked you to outline the scope of the project and what, in some detail, it would look like. You didn't respond to that and It's just being invented on the hoof.

You also didn't bother to answer my question about 3-D objects so I have no idea if I would enjoy your scenery without another round of questions to see what it contains. It's not your AI. It's either mine or it's someone else's flyable model. I haven't seen a flight plan yet.

I just can't work like that and it's getting in the way of my own work. Reluctantly I have to say that I wish you well, but I don't want to spend any more time on this.

John
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

I am sorry John, Ill do all you say, Ill answer all the questions but please help me
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

There are no 3D Objects at the airfields