The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

RAF mildenhall

The Tutorials forum section is the place where you can learn the various techniques that go into the creation of AI traffic packages.
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Re: RAF mildenhall

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Andrew...I read on a thread somewhere that Tony has given John permission to modify objects for Mildenhall so it might be worth contacting john and hooking up with him with what you've done so far...that way a version for P3D would still be viable.

hope all works out..i for one would love an updated version...
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Mildenhall will be included in Matrix Europe if you can wait just a little while longer.
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Greg wrote: 28 Jul 2018, 08:11 Mildenhall will be included in Matrix Europe if you can wait just a little while longer.
awesome :D :D :D
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

And there it was, with all the tankers :-)

I've been trying to get to the MAIW staff lately, but I fail on the PM stuff. Forgive me in general for not taking contact. And kudos for making a damned good job with those stubborn fire extinguishers an engine covers and so on. At least I made my part with a few AWACS.
Andrew
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Foxbat wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 23:51 And there it was, with all the tankers :-)

I've been trying to get to the MAIW staff lately, but I fail on the PM stuff. Forgive me in general for not taking contact. And kudos for making a damned good job with those stubborn fire extinguishers an engine covers and so on. At least I made my part with a few AWACS.
Yep...looks great now and appreciate your work with the awacs.

Wondering if you have any issues with the tankers landing and turning 180 on the active to use the taxi way in the middle?

Ive adjusted brakes etc to let them trundle along further but they still behave weird...wondering if tony daltons egun has too many nodes along the runway centerline that would cause this....

all the best

Trev
Foxbat
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Foxbat »

Hi Trev,

I'll check that as I like to just spot planes for the time being, busy with life in general otherwise. I'll take a peek at the afcad as well.

Cheers,
Andrew
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Foxbat wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 15:50 Hi Trev,

I'll check that as I like to just spot planes for the time being, busy with life in general otherwise. I'll take a peek at the afcad as well.

Cheers,
Spotting is what I do at these sceneries....park myself somewhere along the active and watch what I used to see when I lived in the UK and did base trips with my brother. that's when I noticed the tankers behavior...other than that...egun in p3v4 is now awesome...tho secretly praying that Ian will produce a partner for his heath scenery....

appreciate any advice you can give on the afcad...all I can think is tony put lots of nodes along the active and I read somewhere....only nodes needed are either end and to keep the runway as basic as poss...but haven't tested that theory yet..will do a duplicate afcad and delete all the nodes along it and see if it helps...

all the best
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Let us know how that goes Trev. I'm pretty busy myself right now so not much time to test any theories, but if you find anything I'd be happy to update the Mildenhall AFD in Matrix Europe.
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Greg wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 18:45 Let us know how that goes Trev. I'm pretty busy myself right now so not much time to test any theories, but if you find anything I'd be happy to update the Mildenhall AFD in Matrix Europe.
Having some success...removed all the nodes along the runway...including midway taxi point and all aircraft land and roll all the way to either end...great for KC-135's when landing on 29....they taxi past the c-130 pan and turn left to go past the rc-135's etc....only snag im seeing is the ospreys take an age to get off the active....so will reinstate the central exit/taxi point and see if that help.

but getting there slowly...

Trev
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Trevytt2004 wrote: 27 Mar 2019, 15:13
Greg wrote: 25 Mar 2019, 18:45 Let us know how that goes Trev. I'm pretty busy myself right now so not much time to test any theories, but if you find anything I'd be happy to update the Mildenhall AFD in Matrix Europe.
Having some success...removed all the nodes along the runway...including midway taxi point and all aircraft land and roll all the way to either end...great for KC-135's when landing on 29....they taxi past the c-130 pan and turn left to go past the rc-135's etc....only snag im seeing is the ospreys take an age to get off the active....so will reinstate the central exit/taxi point and see if that help.

but getting there slowly...

Trev
Little update..

reinstated the central exits and things now seem to be pretty fine...no more back tracks and awkward spin arounds....one anomaly I had was using a program call ai monitor....the aircraft seem to land off centre line or pitch up and down and veer wildly on finals..but that's that proggies issue.
going to mod the brake entries etc for the c-17s to let them trundle a little further as just noticed they stop too quick...when ive done ill upload the afcad/afx file for you to play with and check before changing the matrix version...

Trev
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Be careful with the C-17s.
What I mean is that although their stopping performance may be far from ideal at Moldyhole it maybe just right for some of the tactical strips that people made, and even other bases with earlier turnoffs.

In short there is no simple way to overcome this with the exception of having two cfg files and two folders and then splitting up the aircraft into the two folders according to what strips they go too.
This can lead to a bit of mess.

I liken it to the Tornados landing at Marham. The amount of overshoots and disappearing traffic I had due to the short landing run but the long runway at Marham led me to experiment. The upshot was that I decided to leave the aircraft as it was and just not view traffic at Marham at busy times. This was not a fault of the Marham scenery just the real world layout and the vagaries and limitations of the AI system.
Steve
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

Thanks Trev. Sounds promising.

I won't touch the C-17 FDE in Matrix for the reason Steve describes. While fixing the traffic flow at Mildenhall, it can mess up the flow somewhere else.
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Trevytt2004,

As a matter of interest, how do you get this AFD file to compile in ADE. I get an error saying the apron count exceeds 254.

Regards
Brian
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

I believe he imported the bgl from Matrix. I already reduced the apron count in that one by merging adjacent aprons.
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Firebird wrote: 29 Mar 2019, 20:35 Be careful with the C-17s.
What I mean is that although their stopping performance may be far from ideal at Moldyhole it maybe just right for some of the tactical strips that people made, and even other bases with earlier turnoffs.

In short there is no simple way to overcome this with the exception of having two cfg files and two folders and then splitting up the aircraft into the two folders according to what strips they go too.
This can lead to a bit of mess.

I liken it to the Tornados landing at Marham. The amount of overshoots and disappearing traffic I had due to the short landing run but the long runway at Marham led me to experiment. The upshot was that I decided to leave the aircraft as it was and just not view traffic at Marham at busy times. This was not a fault of the Marham scenery just the real world layout and the vagaries and limitations of the AI system.
Maybe I can help with the landing behaviour of especially the Tornados.
Henk gave me some excellent suggestions to change some parametres inside the AIs aircraft.cfg - they are easy and quick to change.
In RAF Brüggen, I have this issue of a very long runway in conjunction with hard braking Tonkas.
After changing those parametres, the Tornados now have faster landing speed, later and less braking behaviour and leave the runway more often before the next Tornado is on final. The flight behaviour is stable nevertheless.
If you like it, here are Henks hot tips:

https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/1/18128
Regards, Manfred.
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Greg wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 12:36 I believe he imported the bgl from Matrix. I already reduced the apron count in that one by merging adjacent aprons.
Thank Greg,

I also imported the one I have in Matrix, I'll check it again.

Brian
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Manschy wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 13:43 Maybe I can help with the landing behaviour of especially the Tornados.
Henk gave me some excellent suggestions to change some parametres inside the AIs aircraft.cfg - they are easy and quick to change.
In RAF Brüggen, I have this issue of a very long runway in conjunction with hard braking Tonkas.
After changing those parametres, the Tornados now have faster landing speed, later and less braking behaviour and leave the runway more often before the next Tornado is on final. The flight behaviour is stable nevertheless.
If you like it, here are Henks hot tips:

https://militaryaiworks.com/forums/1/18128
All very good tips, Manfred. These and others I tried but did not really get a good vibe about them.
Although it was a couple of years ago, I seem to remember that my main issue was that the thrust reversers are efficient and therefore the long rollouts did not go with the buckets and the reverser sound that I added. Which is why I ultimately left it the way it was.

I even tried to manipulate the afcad so that there were several invisible exits from the runway link slightly to the side but parallel to the link to fool the AI engine that there was no aircraft on the runway. At that time I was unsuccessful but maybe if I find some time I will go back at try the technique again to see if I can get it working.
The idea was that maybe I could get 4 or more actually on the runway from a game point of view but which had actually left the runway as far as the afcad was concerned. If it works you would actually have a stream landing at mil fields just like reality.
Steve
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you for explanation, Steve. Sorry for going more and more off topic, but one last question regarding this, please:
Invisible exits sounds like the ultimative solution for that kind of trouble. Why did it not work?
Regards, Manfred.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

At the time I tried, the next aircraft overshot rather than landed. It could be though that I messed it up - it was a few years ago and we get better with experience.
Steve
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Will give it a try and will get back to you - regarding off topic maybe with a new threat. Think it's a real important topic...
Regards, Manfred.