The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Does anyone want a JYAI repaint?

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Re: Does anyone want a JYAI repaint?

Post by Tranquil »

John Young wrote: 30 May 2019, 18:15 Mark, I would be surprised if Brandon can open a .psp file. He may need the images in .psd format. Although I use PSP for all my work, my paint kits are in .psd format because not even lower number versions of PSP will open files produced in a later PSP version.
Yes John Brandon pm'd me and requested psd instead so i converted them and sent both, i still use PSP7 for most of my work but anything more complex is done in Photoshop, i like your paintkits John as they are never too complex to work with :)

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Normally in FSX if you get black aircraft it is because the texture folder entry in the aircraft.cfg is wrong.
Now this could be because the folder name is wrong or the filename that the mdl is expecting to find is wrong.

So start simple.
1. What is the texture line for that entry?
2. What is the actual folder name called that holds the texture.
3. What is the actual texture file called?
4. What exactly is the model that you are creating a texture for?

If you search for 'black aircraft in FSX' in google you will find loads of references for this.
Steve
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

It was because it was a 24 bit. It works fine now
If you don't try you can never succeed, if you always try you succeed more.
Twitter: @Brandon71822792
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Here it is. F-8K 'N19TB', for the MPAI F-8K. Texture will be posted tomorrow so it can fly in your FS worlds. A massive thankyou to John Young and Mark 'Tranquil' for their help and a huge thanks to Micheal Pearson for creating the paintkit. Tested in FSX, should work in FS2004.
Attachments
THANKYOU.jpg
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Brandon, please revise the Serial number Text, you may want to try this font, down load, unpack, right click on it & install.
https://fontmeme.com/fonts/amarillo-usaf-font/

Also the chequered pattern of the tail is not equal, as John said they should all be the same size!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Hi Mark,
I feel that it will be near impossible to re do the writing as the .psd file no longer exists (it was made into a .bmp).
This was my first attempt at a repaint with panel details and a .psd file. The next repaint will be a step up from this one.
Many thanks,
Brandon
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Brandon, you should always save the psd too when you save the bmp, this gives you the option to go back and change it! however if you send me the bmp i can change the text using the other font no problem.

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

I think the texture looks great and it looks almost like the real aircraft. One more question i would like to ask is that are there paint kits for the Iris/DSB A-7 and F-5E?

jetrange
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Interesting topic, as I’m taking my first steps in repainting just now (attempting to repaint John’s Tiger Moth for use on my own construction of RAF Clyffe Pypard). I’m using Affinity Designer on a Mac, but I think it’s not as good for this sort of stuff as it is for many other things. I think I may try Paint.Net.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Brandon, I'm so pleased that you are getting there.

Surely you must have saved the layered file at a number of points while you were working on it? If you didn't that's asking for trouble. If you deleted it after you made the 24 bit for the texture that's plain daft, particularly as I told you to protect it.

Load the single layer 24 bit image you used to make the texture into Paint.net and paint over the serial. Create a new layer and with the font that Mark sent you re-do the serial number. The font you have used is just not right. You could also correct the tail cheques at the same time.

It's worth going the extra mile and complete your first successful paint properly, rather than rushing off to another project.

It will also give you the experience of working with fonts. You will also need the USAF Amarillo font soon I'm sure. You can download it for free from here:

https://www.dafont.com/amarillo-usaf.font

John
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Greg »

TimC340 wrote: 31 May 2019, 06:44 I’m using Affinity Designer on a Mac, but I think it’s not as good for this sort of stuff as it is for many other things. I think I may try Paint.Net.
Affinity Designer is a vector programme, the equivalent of Adobe Illustrator and not really suited for this. Affinity Photo is the equivalent of Adobe Photoshop.
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

As seen on their preview of the Typhoon Display 2019 patch I am going to do a repaint for the 2019 RAF Typhoon next.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Greg wrote: 31 May 2019, 08:58
TimC340 wrote: 31 May 2019, 06:44 I’m using Affinity Designer on a Mac, but I think it’s not as good for this sort of stuff as it is for many other things. I think I may try Paint.Net.
Affinity Designer is a vector programme, the equivalent of Adobe Illustrator and not really suited for this. Affinity Photo is the equivalent of Adobe Photoshop.
I have both, Greg, but the drawing tools in Photo I found rather confusing. I may try again once I've got a better grip of the basic principles of repainting. I've used paint.net to do a quick and dirty repaint of John's Tiger Moth (as mentioned above). The paintkit for this is, unfortunately, (and as far as I can tell!) insufficiently detailed to allow me to apply different treatments to the undersurfaces of the upper and starboard wings, and the tail surfaces. I presume I would need to make a new map from the model to achieve the limited extra detail I'd like, which is something I have not a scooby how to do! However, I have at least achieved some limited success, which is remarkably pleasing!
Attachments
Tiger Repaint2.JPG
Tiger Repaint.JPG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I produced the Tiger Moth 8 years ago as part of the specific AI needed for our ACG (as then) Duxford scenery. I think from memory that it was the second AI aircraft I had produced. Like Brandon I was still learning the ropes of painting AI and didn't have a layered paint program at the time. Designing for flexibility for use with a paint kit just didn't feature in importance as it does now.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Entirely understood, John. It was a fun exercise for me, and I may take it further and see if I can work out how to map paint to the model while I’m on one of my layovers in the US. I did check to see if Orbx had worked it out as they use your model in their FTX traffic package, but sadly not. If I do manage to get anywhere, I’ll let you know.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Alas you won't be able to do that unless you re-design the texture sheet to create room for the new surfaces. Some of the existing ones may have to be reduced in size to do that. Then you will then have to fathom out how to map the re-designed texture to the model without the Gmax source file. Not something I would recommend, but by all means have a go.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I suspect it's beyond my limited expertise! It might be easier to make a new model, but that's something I've never - yet - tried...
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Hi Brandon,

Do you still need time to finish the N19TB texture? If you're busy working on other stuff, that completely alright, take all the time you need. Thank you

jetrange
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Hi,
Will hopefully be posted tomorrow
ConcordeBOAF
Captain
Captain

Post by ConcordeBOAF »

Unsure on how to post it here