The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Problems with stock runways/elevation at MCAS Iwakuni.

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: P3D

Problems with stock runways/elevation at MCAS Iwakuni.

Post by retnavycpo »

I have tried everything I can think of this fix this problem, but am beginning to think there is no solution. Note screenshot with the beautifully done scenery for MCAS Iwakuni, Japan, but the default runways are still showing

I have tried running Orbx Vector tool. I was hoping to use the Orbx Configuration Tool to "exclude" RJOI, but it is not showing up on the list to be able to select it. I tried typing RJOI in the "Disable" window, but whatever the case, it has zero effect. Problem remains. I even renamed the Orbx .bgl file for RJOI to ".bak", but no change.

Is there a way to fix this? In addition, there are some elevation problems. And no, Vector does not fix that, either. Thanks, Pete

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CJ2-c ... dZnzsqo5Bt
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Problems with stock runways/elevation at MCAS Iwakuni.

Post by TimC340 »

Looks to me like you're looking at the photoreal backdrop, not the default runways. Funnily enough, I've been discussing this airfield in another thread, and I did say I'd check where this backdrop is stored and turn it off. Standby - I'll get back to you!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Well, I would if I could find it! I've had a good look through Orbx and I can't find a backdrop for RJOI. It may be the P3D default backdrop, but I'm not sure which of the standard folders Japan is in, or what the MS code for this is...

Note that P3D expects the airfield to be at 10ft elevation. The Matrix version of the airfield is at 7', as corrected by the ALT file in MAIW_Asia\MAIW_ASIA_World\Scenery. Deleting this ALT file should return it to 10ft, which puts it where the Orbx Global Vector scenery expects it and should get rid of the level changes you see in your screenshot. You could go further, as I was advised in the other thread, and create a neutral airfield background in ADE, but I fear it will still be trumped by the photoreal texture.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

OK, as you can see from my screenshot, I have exactly the same issue. It is not a default airfield, it's a photoreal texture that's been applied either by Orbx Global Vector or by the MAIW airfield file (which I doubt, as the AFCAD is so misaligned from it). I have created my own CVX file, which, as I suspected, made no difference as the photoreal texture comes above it. It's 'just' a matter of finding the photoreal file and deactivating it. Alternatively, I suppose we could make a new airfield to align with the photoreal bit, but I know which is my preference!

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJ9XzRHlC9lhaVzQ1BgXfoMt4vJeA
Attachments
2019-06-17 (copy).png
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Hmm, now if the offending file can be located? Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Pete, on further investigation, I believe the MAIW airfield is in the wrong place. The stock airfield is exactly correct, when compared with Google maps. Realigning the MAIW airfield with reality will probably also align it with this photoreal background, and that should make the whole thing look a lot better. I'm working on it now, but it's getting late here in UK and I probably won't be able to finish it tonight. In any case, I don't have permission to alter the airfield so I can't share this version with you - though I can show you the results. Standby...!
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Well thanks Tim!

Hopefully you will be able to get permission to alter the scenery to correct it, and maybe someday it can be shared! Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Hi again Pete. The amount of work to correct the MAIW airfield to match the Orbx background is significant. The airfield will have been made originally to match the default FS9 scenery, and some compromises with reality would have been inevitable. The default P3D scenery (which is the baseline for all Matrix scenery) is close enough to FS9 that it probably still works fine. However, with the more accurate Orbx scenery, the Matrix RJOI is obviously a bit wrong, and that's confirmed by matching to satellite imagery. Bizarrely, the stock airport is, at least in basic configuration, more accurate - see the screenshot.

To make the airport suitable for P3D as modified by Orbx Global Vector, it really needs to be started from scratch. That's a major job. Japan isn't really my area of interest - I only got involved because I was sightseeing yesterday! If I find time tomorrow, I'll try and bring the stock airport up to a level where at least it will accept the MAIW traffic. That way I can share it with you, and if you find it acceptable, maybe you can add more detail to it as and when you're ready.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJ9XzRHlC9lhaV1P9g9MEn9-k36Uw
Attachments
RJOI stock airfield
RJOI stock airfield
Stock RJOI superimposed on positionally accurate satellite image.
Stock RJOI superimposed on positionally accurate satellite image.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Thanks so much Tim, for your efforts. I wonder if I uninstalled Vector, would the problem is corrected? I rarely fly in Asia sceneries, myself. I only "visited" Iwakuni, as I was there for 6 months, courtesy of the USN, back in '96. Thanks again, Tim. As for me adding more details later on, I have no idea how! I know that Simdirector, within P3DV4, provides the ability to do that, along with ADE. But don't know how to use either one! Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I guess you know that Iwakuni, as represented here, is a very different place from what it was in ‘96! You can just make out the stub of the old runway parallel to, and West of, the new one built on reclaimed land.

I think you can just deactivate Vector within FTX Central, so it may be worth a go to see how it looks. Personally, I really like Orbx products so I’d rather make everything else fit in with them, but your mileage may vary! I’ll have a play with the airport tomorrow and see if I can make something that works well enough for me and, if you want to try it, please do. I’ve never used Simdirector, but ADE is a brilliant app, and I get a lot of fun out of using it.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Thanks Tim. At the time, I was on a EA-6B Prowler squadron (VAQ-134 "Garudas"). Beautiful place, and friendly people. Hiroshima is a short train ride from there. Much appreciate the suggestion about Orbx Vector, and will try that tomorrow. Pete
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Yes, the MCAS Iwakuni is in the wrong spot... kind of, partially. How did that happen? Well, the current versions of it is actually the 5th or 6th generation (I've honestly lost track). You can find the old versions through links here in the forum. The first version I made was Iwakuni before the construction started. That was was actually GPS accurate. When construction started, I started producing updated versions. The problem was, there wasn't any good overhead photography of the construction at the time that could be used to accurately place new features as they were built. The best we could find were slant angle shots. So, a lot of guess work went into the dimensions of the new land mass being built. By the time we got accurate overhead images, we were several generations in. Our choice then was keep making updates to the project or start all over again.

You shouldn't need to delete a file to get the included ground polygon to show, just go into the P3D scenery library and deactivate the Iwakuni photo real scenery. It should be somewhere near the bottom of the active scenery list.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Thanks for all the information! I will check, first thing in the morning. I don't remember seeing a photo real Iwakuni in the list though? Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks for the backstory, CCD, I should have thought a bit harder about the timeline and the issues you’d have been working with. Makes total sense!

I had a good look for the photoreal scenery tile last night, and I couldn’t find it. My guess is it’s buried in Global Vector under another name. However, it does work work well with the stock airport, and - for me at least - it’s worth having a go at making that version functional to some degree. It wont match your efforts, at least not without a great deal of work that I don’t really have time for, but it will get traffic moving and look broadly ok for those of us that have this scenery combination and are only occasional visitors to this part of the world.

That said, I’m not going looking at any other airports in Japan. Well, maybe Narita, which I’ve flown in and out of many, many times, but nowhere else. Back to disused UK airfields for me...!
airplanedoktor
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by airplanedoktor »

there is an image file located in Prepar3Dv4/Scenery/Cities/Iwakuni named IwakuniImage.bgl. I'd try renaming that to IwakuniImage.Off, and the should sort the problem.

Cheers,

Darren
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

I deselected Iwakuni scenery, located near bottom of Scenery library. Not as pretty, but it works. Pete

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o-8sR ... V7e9W4qnJZ
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

You appear to be missing the MAIW global object libraries. There should quite a few more objects in the scenery.

*edit* More specifically, it looks like the MAIW_ABO.bgl is missing. You clearly have the Euromil objects library, FenceJS and the aircraft shelter one.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Well, I do have the Global Object Library installed; or at least Matrix says it is installed. But you are correct about MAIW_ABO.bgl being missing. I did a file search for it in MAIW directories, and it is not there. I am confused. Why would it have not been installed?
Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

airplanedoktor wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 15:31 there is an image file located in Prepar3Dv4/Scenery/Cities/Iwakuni named IwakuniImage.bgl. I'd try renaming that to IwakuniImage.Off, and the should sort the problem.

Cheers,

Darren
Cheers Darren!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

retnavycpo wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 15:37 I deselected Iwakuni scenery, located near bottom of Scenery library. Not as pretty, but it works. Pete

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1o-8sR ... V7e9W4qnJZ
If you get all the libraries sorted out (I'd try getting the Matrix libraries again), that looks perfectly acceptable. I'm still working on the stock airfield, using MAIW libraries to flesh it out a bit, and it's coming on. Picture to follow shortly.