The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Problems with stock runways/elevation at MCAS Iwakuni.

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Problems with stock runways/elevation at MCAS Iwakuni.

Post by clickclickdoh »

retnavycpo wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 16:23 I did a file search for it in MAIW directories, and it is not there.
From another thread, it looks like Matrix 3.5 glitched and removed some files. Double check to see if you have Matrix 3.6 which fixed it.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Just checked and it is there but is called MAIW_ABO_P3D.BGL for the Matrix version.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Getting there, Pete. Ignore the fairly random parking; I'm a way off getting all the parking allocated correctly, and I still have duplicate traffic files in the system somewhere, so it's a bit overcrowded. As you can see, the stock airfield fits the photoreal background pretty well.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJ9XzRHlC9lhaV9rJff8tKnSzIK5Q
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Looks great, Tim!

Earlier today, I tried to locate the aircraft shelter object files, but couldn't determine which ones they were, and gave up😕 Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

They’re in the MAIW object library. If Matrix isn’t loading it for some reason (I’m aware of the problems with v3.5), you can download it separately on the site and activate it as standalone addon scenery.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The file I think you're looking for is maiw_aircraft_shelter_library_fsx.bgl It's stored in Military AI Works\Addon Scenery\MAIW_GLOBAL\MAIW_GLOBAL_OBJECTS_GENERIC\scenery
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Here's the airfield as far as I got last night. I won't include John's lovely harbour, as it doesn't match the satellite image and, anyway, it's a unique structure built especially for CDD's RJOI. I will try and include helo and water AFCADs. I won't try and replicate the ship doing trips round the bay. All structures will be either generic or from MAIW libraries. Should be finished by 4am tomorrow morning...!

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

More progress, Pete. I know the ramp shades (and thus the parking spots) are too far apart, but other than that it's working ok. Airfield roads are coming on, though I need to adjust the weapons dump roads a bit. Ignore the harbour in the corner; I'll do something with that using the photoreal scenery. Now for a beer...

retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

That looks beautiful! You have done great work! Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Really all I’m doing, Pete, is transposing some of the library items that CDD used in his MAIW version of the field to the stock airport, and fleshing it out with a few details. It really doesn’t compare to the work that goes into the MAIW airfields, and the P3D photorealistic background helps a lot! I may have a go at making a couple of simple, small structures, but I can see why this stuff sometimes takes years to get right!

The funny thing is that the only bit of the field that was there when you were is the southern end of the old runway at the far southwest of the new field, so I could really have put anything in this version!! I wonder if there’s a version from your time out there?
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Tim,

I really don't know if there is a version that depicts the time when I was briefly there. And the thing is, I am definitely not picky about details. I spent very little time anywhere near the airfield. I was a Aviation Structural Mechanic CPO, but was sent to fill a slot in the detachment from Whidbey Island. I spent the majority of my off time, visiting the towns nearby, or in the barracks (which had a cool view of a river?). I also ran with a group called the Hash House Harriers (look them up...a world wide organization that has a motto of being a ("drinking club with a running problem"). Those were the days when I could physically do such fun things. Now, at age 66, I am doing good to walk my dog around the block. Forget any jogging or excessive drinking; both of which I wish I could do occasionally at least, but ain't happening. If there was a payware scenery that included Iwakuni, I would buy it, but have not found one.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I know the Hash House Harriers - I did a few Hash runs in Ascension (FHAW - Wideawake) back in the day! I'm 63, and a veteran of 22 years' service in the RAF (and still flying professionally now), so I know exactly where you're coming from.

CCD mentioned that his first version of the airfield was as it was before the reclaimed land and the new runway, so that should be around somewhere here if you do a search.
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Even if I am able to locate the version of the airfield from that timeframe, I do not know how to install it! What are the flying for?
Airline? Pete
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Btw, when I was at Iwakuni, I had the MOST fortunate experience to catch a ride with a USMC C-130 to take a Liquid O2 cart to Wake Island. When we landed, the Marines said they had other destinations to go to, and would pick me up in 8 days. It was the most glorious time I have ever had in my life, and in the most beautiful place, ever. Wake Island is so gorgeous. That is another scenery that I wish could be done better than is currently available for download. Oh, and my ultimate dream, simulation scenery wise, is a 1970s/1980s version of NAS Cecil Field, FL (KVQQ). The only decent one currently is a conversion of John Stinstrom's for FS9. I helped John by providing him with some pictures and historical map data. But the BRAC Commission closed Cecil in 99, and I really had hoped that someone would have redone it by now, but not yet. Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I flew mainly C130s (14 years/6000 hours) in the RAF, with 5 years also teaching at a University Air Sqn on Bulldogs. I did the ‘fast jet lead in course’ to Hercs, via the Hawk, Hunter and Lightning - my Dad was a Lightning pilot of some renown, and the RAF wanted me to fly it while he was still around. That was a mistake!

I fly A332, A333 and A346, and used to fly the B747-200, for Virgin Atlantic. Been there 21 years, but I’ll be retiring next year - sadly, although I’m qualified on it, I won’t get to fly the A350-1000 which is arriving shortly.

I’ve been to Cecil in the dim and distant past. My own interest with P3D is in recreating some of the scenes of my youth in the military in the 1980s, and I reckon there might be a fair few of us with a similar interest. There are some wonderful retro airfields in the UKMil and MAIW archives, but not that many US ones. Could be a productive avenue to explore - you need to learn ADE, Pete!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Pete, the converted John Stinstrom NAS Cecil looks pretty good in P3D:

retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Yes it does, except for a few things. One of the hangars is out of place (not in line with hangar next to it), plus one hangar is incorrect color, and there is a "floating" airfield light. Probably some more small things, but would have to look. Just like Iwakuni, Cecil has changed a lot since I left in 1990. All the barracks in the semi circle are gone. They even demolished new barracks.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

And you said you weren’t worried too much about details! OK, well I can’t realistically offer to change much about John’s KVQQ - and I don’t have permission to do so even if I could - I’ll have a look and see if there’s a way of reconstructing the airfield from open-source resources. Looking at Google maps, I can see how much of it has gone. But, like I say, get your head around ADE and you can do much of this stuff yourself. It really isn’t difficult!
retnavycpo
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by retnavycpo »

Hey Tim,

I will give ADE a go. As for John Stinstrom, he seems to have vanished from the sim scene. I have tried, over the years to contact him, but no luck. Pete
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Pete, I thought I'd take a rest from Iwakuni for a day, but I had a play with Wake Island. Don't look too close; it's a very quick-and-dirty attempt. Just needs some traffic!