The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MAIW NBAI Boeing CH-47 Chinook Conversion Support

Post all questions and problems with official MAIW Conversion Packages for FSX and P3D in this forum. Each package has a dedicated thread for support.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: MAIW NBAI Boeing CH-47 Chinook Conversion Support

Post by Firebird »

OK thanks. I have downloaded that package and will investigate.
What might help is if you are able to give a CH-47D serial or two from the P3D package that does work.

*UPDATE*
I have checked a lot of CH-47D schemes and they seems to be the same make up as the ones that you mention so next is definitely getting some serials of ones that do work.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, that's what I was hoping to achieve by making a traffic file that uses all of them. The HC2/winch and HC3 models seem to be fine after the mods of the other day.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Are we talking about full package or Matrix? I am just looking at MAIW_NBAI_CH47D_USArmy_3-238th_86-01674 and MAIW_NBAI_CH47D_USAA_159_B_84-24167 (from full package) making a run through the Death Valley.
Attachments
2019-7-21_17-52-25-22.jpg
2019-7-21_17-48-56-838.jpg
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Can't be Matrix, Gavin. Matrix North America does not yet include the Chinook conversion.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Matrix only has the JASDF and ROCAF CH-47Ds - and they're fine. I've commented them out of the aircraft.cfg file for the full package. AI Aircraft Editor Net is reporting that the CH47D model doesn't exist in the full package. The file seems ok. I 'bak'd it and copied over the file from the Matrix aircraft; same thing. A little odd...

Incidentally, I found ZD576. It's in a Gulf War textures package for FS9. It shouldn't be, as the aircraft was destroyed some years before either Gulf War, but at least I know where it came from - and why that particular one doesn't work (the traffic file is calling the FS9 model).
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

A quick addendum to note that the HAF CH-47Ds do work, but they use the ch47d-414 model.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK lets start with some simple elimination stuff.
Tim, what version of P3D are you using?

Also when I looked in the model.cfg for the P3D CH47D I noticed that it said :-
normal=NBAI_Chinook P3D

now the actual model is 'nbai_chinook P3D'. I don't know if it is case sensitive but try altering the model.cfg file contents to match the case of the mdl file.
This would bring it into line with the other model.cfg files.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

AI Editor Net aircraft validation file attached.
Attachments
AIEditorLog.txt
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 18:02 OK lets start with some simple elimination stuff.
Tim, what version of P3D are you using?

Also when I looked in the model.cfg for the P3D CH47D I noticed that it said :-
normal=NBAI_Chinook P3D

now the actual model is 'nbai_chinook P3D'. I don't know if it is case sensitive but try altering the model.cfg file contents to match the case of the mdl file.
This would bring it into line with the other model.cfg files.
I'm using 4.5 Steve. Yes, I noticed the case change too, and made sure it was the same as the others by making it as you show it. No change. Model Converter imports the model ok, and I've re-exported it as a P3Dv4.4 model. I've done that successfully before when I converted the FS9 Chinooks for myself, but I noticed that it saved as nbai_chinook FSX.mdl. I renamed it, but I'm guessing that's how it appears somewhere in the originally converted model file.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Something is strange with your Chinook installation, Tim.

Your model error in the log is clearly pointing to an FS9 version model.

Also the number of sections is way too small. This is how lit looks for me from the original package and also from the newly downloaded published package:
  • ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    AI-Aircraft Editor V.3.3.14.0 - 21.07.2019 20:18 - Overview Report for "C:\Users\Admin\Downloads\MAIW NBAI Boeing CH-47 Chinook - P3D Pack-1 V.1.1\SimObjects\Airplanes\MAIW NBAI Boeing CH-47 Chinook (P3D)" *
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

[fltsim.x] sections: 256
    [fltsim.x] sequentially numbered: yes
    [fltsim.x] validated: yes
    Titles unique: yes
    -:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    Models found: 5
    Models passed validity check: yes
    Models used: 5
    Models not used: 0
    Models used but not found: 0
    -:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:
    Air Files found: 1
    Air Files used: 1
    Air Files not used: 0
    Air Files used but not found: 0
    Textures found: 257
    Textures used: 256
    Textures used multiple times: 0
    Textures not used: 1
    Textures with empty texture folder: 0
    Textures used but not found: 0
    texture.cfg used: yes --> 256
    [Radios] section found: yes
    ***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Can you please try and redownload the conversion pack?
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The reduced number of sections is because I've removed all the ROCAF and JASDF entries from the Hangar aircraft.cfg file, as they're duplicated in Matrix.

I have finally solved the problem by replacing the model file with the one from the Matrix installation, and going through each .cfg entry that calls for the D model and replacing the 'model=ch47d' text. The only reason I did that is because I tried it for the Gulf war package, which is only 13 aircraft, and it worked there! So, whatever was wrong in my installation (and I should add that I replaced the whole thing when the revised HC2 and HC2winch models were released), it's gone away! And I now have the Gulf War Chinooks in P3D, which is a result!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well a bit late to the party but I found the problem.

The mdl in the model.ch47d folder was NBAI_Chinook.mdl which is the fs9 version. This is why it didn't show up.

I downloaded both the FSX and P3D packages and neither one had that mdl in it.
What I believe happened is that somehow you copied the fs9 model.ch47d across when you copied some textures that we not in the P3D package.

Does this sound like something that could have happened?
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

It's entirely possible, Steve, though I thought I'd covered that by copying the model from the Matrix folder, which was working. Anyway, it's all good now - thanks for being there to bounce ideas off!
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Good thing is I noticed I missed to include Ray Gulf War package. That calls for an update for some releases.
Cheers,
Martin
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

gsnde wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 21:23 Good thing is I noticed I missed to include Ray Gulf War package. That calls for an update for some releases.
That would be great, Martin, as I couldn't find a way to make the cockpit windows transparent using the FS9 model and textures. My MCX-fu isn't that good!
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: FSX

Post by gavinc »

TimC340 wrote: 21 Jul 2019, 22:21

That would be great, Martin, as I couldn't find a way to make the cockpit windows transparent using the FS9 model and textures. My MCX-fu isn't that good!
What I did was isolate the cockpit windows as a separate model, set that to transparent, then re-import the base FS9 model, delete the windows parts and merge the transparent windows into the model.

Fortunately the latest release of MCX will recognize windows parts (based on the material setting) and create 2 instances of the texture. You can then go into the texture editor and set the window to transparent. A whole lot easier than the process I followed for the Chinooks and the Eurocopters.

Gavin
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Thanks Gavin. On the FS9 CH-47 model/paints I have, I haven't found the windows! I assume they're a separate part in the model somewhere, but in MCX (dev release), highlighting textures fails to reveal them. On other versions of the Chinook I've played with, it was easy, but these paints have no alpha channel at all.
Attachments
FS9 CW Chinook.JPG
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I have them converted already. Send me a pm with your mail.

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I could be wrong here but I seem to remember that Nick made the model w/o windows, some were created like that. The reason being that if you had windows you had to model, even basically, a cockpit which meant more polys and vertices.

There were certain types where it was felt that as most people would never see inside any way then just paint the windows on. You can see the windows on that scheme. They are that three quarter circle that is just in front of the nose on the starboard fuselage.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 09:51 I could be wrong here but I seem to remember that Nick made the model w/o windows, some were created like that. The reason being that if you had windows you had to model, even basically, a cockpit which meant more polys and vertices.

There were certain types where it was felt that as most people would never see inside any way then just paint the windows on. You can see the windows on that scheme. They are that three quarter circle that is just in front of the nose on the starboard fuselage.
Interesting, Steve - yet Nick included the dashboard and crew in the model. And they are visible as parts in MCX. It's just the windows I can't find - and there are more of them, even though they're not transparent, than that 270 graphic shows - and I think that graphic is the engine intake filter anyway.
gsnde wrote: 23 Jul 2019, 09:47 I have them converted already. Send me a pm with your mail.

From mobile hence short
Thanks Gavin - will be with you shortly! I'm trying to work out the process here, as well as get the models in my sim. This stuff fascinates me, though I'm well short of the skills I need to help out with further conversions.