The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI C-130J Specials

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
volador
Captain
Captain
Version: FS9

Re: JYAI C-130J Specials

Post by volador »

I hadn't noticed it. I'm going to take a look at my FS9 Giorgio.
Miguel
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Giorgio, most of those screenshots are FSX or P3Dv4. The interior cockpit texture is black, but at some angles it will appear much lighter because of the reflective properties of the glass. FS9 and FSX reflection is set up very differently and has different results. In FSX/P3Dv4 reflection is enabled automatically. In FS9 you set it on or off in the aircraft properties. Switching yours on or off should give a different result.

John
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Thanks for the Italy C-130's. I just installed the C-27's about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I’ve just uploaded the last of the new JYAI C-130 Hercules packages that I intend producing, at least for the time being. These ones (FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4) feature the 6 HC-130J Combat King II’s and the 12 EC-130H Compass Calls of the 79th RQS and 55th Electronic Combat Group respectively. The aircraft are based at Davis Monthan AFB (KDMA) Arizona when not deployed overseas. Scenery for the base has already been produced by Brent Newman and revised flight plans are included to enable the new C-130’s.

One of the 6 HC-130J’s is equipped with hoses and drogues that deploy at any flight plan cruise altitude between 5000ft and 20,000ft when the aircraft is in level flight. A flight plan has been included that enables a daily flight at 10,000ft between Davis Monthan and Cannon AFB 400 NM to the north east.

The EC-130H was quite interesting to make. It has much enlarged gear sponsons on either side of the fuselage with an additional duct at the top. The wire aerial array on the tail needed a bit of precision to model. Although it uses 500 polygons, the texture vertex count (the bit that matters) is only 4 and the array is 1 draw call in the first two LODs only. Photographs suggest that the array is sometimes “rigged” and sometimes not. Both options are included and users can change the mix in the aircraft.cfg file.

As always, please give Greg a chance to make the upload available.

I’m going to put the paint kit together next. Brent and Mins have been using some of the files recently without a problem so I’m confident that other painters here will be able to paint at will. With 24 different C-130 types produced (never mind sub- variations), I’ll include an index of models and the .psd file that applies.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Never seen a "Dreamcatcher" of this size :lol:
(Or is it an older model with spider webs?)

John, your variety of models is exorbitant :wink: !!!
Regards, Manfred.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

I love the light in the second last shot, John. Picture and model of highest quality!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you for these Davis Monthan C-130's. I did not have a lot of HTAI C-130's installed in my P3D and these were some of the last ones I have on the HTAI model.
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Thanks John,

I guess its time to dust off my Moody scenery
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Wow John, those really came out super awesome.
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Hello guys

As i didnt visit this topic many weeks i noticed that also old version of the C130s were done.
I thought only special version would be done.

Are you going to substitude all C130s of HTAI?

For example portugal AF morocco AF ect?
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

asdro wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 12:33 I thought only special version would be done.
It turns out that John is not a human, but is instead a machine endoskeleton covered in a layer of living flesh. John can’t be bargained with. He can’t be reasoned with. He doesn’t feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And he absolutely will not stop, ever, until his models are complete.
asdro wrote: 08 Aug 2019, 12:33Are you going to substitude all C130s of HTAI?
Us? No. The team that helped (and by helped, I mean "goofed around producing what ever paint caught our fancy and constantly pestered John for more access to his paint kits while he was trying to work on the models) have produced some around the world examples, but we don't have the means to do a complete replacement for the old HTAI models on our own. There are still a few more repaint packages in the pipeline from us (once I get off my current A-10 binge), but the balance will be up to people who want to have a hand at the paint kit John is going to release to the public. As popular as the C-130 is, I suspect there will be plenty of paints on Johns new model coming out.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've uploaded the paint kit for the JYAI C-130's this morning.

The package comprises 16 .psd files that were used to paint the 25 models I have produced to date. Also included are the prop's, alphas and a set of notes that identify the fonts used. Of key importance is a chart that relates the .psd file to the model and the model package. I have reproduced it below for quick reference should painters wish to ponder on the paint choices before downloading the kit, which is pretty big:

Brent and MIns have used some of the files for their schemes as a test of the texture mapping, but let me know if you run into any problems.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Well done John.

I am hoping that a bunch of people will produce small packages to replace the old HTAI schemes that I have. Obviously I will have to keep his Es around but I can live with that.

There is an opportunity for those that wanted to dip a toe in the water here but are not that confident.
Two of the RAF C5s have gone to Bahrain and one has gone to Bangladesh. One is also going to the Blue Angels. You can't possibly get smaller packages to do to test your abilities out.
I suspect that there are others as well.

I encourage you to give it a go.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

We even have an "E" Steve. Darren, who most certainly knows these things, told me that It's the same as the CC-130 H73 that we do have a model for.

It's not a complicated paint. Don't be put off by the shading (technically described as "Ambient Occlusion" - AO) in the illustration. That's a separate layer in the file, generated from the model and can be switched off instantly. That will leave a flat plain colour to repaint. The AO layer can then be switched back on again to shade whatever has been painted. Quite magical really.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Thanks for the Info, John.

Hopefully somebody will do those as well then.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Just to round off the C-130's, I've uploaded version 2 packages (FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4) for the MC-130's at Kadena, Japan. There was a problem with the spelling of "drogues" in the model.cfg files that was preventing the aircraft assigned these models from showing. In some of the folders, the aircraft were also the wrong model.

If you have applied the simple fixes on pages 10 and 12 above, then you won't need to download these again.

John
asdro
Major
Major

Post by asdro »

Concerning the C130 model list where can i find infos about the differences of each model?
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Outstanding finish to the project and I do hope some of the talented painters can take advantage of the paint kit to update the massive MAIW C-130 packages. As a Herc fan, I have already researched many tail# swaps, including units no longer flying E models and others that have had serials transferred, it's a frustrating research project using all sorts of "Google-fu" and scramble.nl, c-130.net to find info.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

asdro wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 22:22 Concerning the C130 model list where can i find infos about the differences of each model?

Well as a start, you could scroll backwards through the posts in this topic and look at the screen shots.

Wiki also gives a useful overview:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_C-130_Hercules

To delve deeper, you will need to do what I did - decide on which models you want to compare and look at photographs.

John
clickclickdoh
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by clickclickdoh »

Another squadron of Hercs off to the Hangar.