The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

NASA C-130 Repaint

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

NASA C-130 Repaint

Post by jetrange »

This is my planned first attempt at doing a repaint. I'm going to paint N436NA, a former USCG HC-130H that now flies for NASA. This is going to be for John's C-130H. If anyone has any advice, that would be great. Thank you.

jetrange
Attachments
N436NA.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: NASA C-130 Repaint

Post by John Young »

That looks pretty straight forward jetrange, but you will need a bit of trial and error to line up the underside of the diagonal stripe, because it's mapped from beneath. Glad to see you are having a go.

Looking forward to seeing the paint.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Actually, I've just checked that and the C-130H model has only sideways mapping for the fuselage so it should be very straight forward indeed.

John
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Victory103 »

Take a look at N439NA and it's fun radome.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

So looking at the paint kit for the H, it has the RCAF dark blue, and I want to transfer the colors over from the HC-130J CG paint kit. Is there a way to directly replace the colors in Photoshop?

jetrange
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Open both paint kits in Photoshop. Copy the white airframe layer In the 130CG paint and paste it into the 130H paint kit. You will need to grab the layer and move it to align over the top of the existing Canadian blue/grey airframe layer. Once aligned you can switch off or delete the Canadian layer. Do the same for the red if needed. It just took me 90 seconds to do.

John
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

This peaked my interest for some reason....I don't like white aircraft...give me camo...but...I went and dabbled and have done the psd layer for you...modified the wing markings to be more accurate to allow the delivery markings of stars and stripes and 0800 markings on the wings to be removed per say.
added danger propeller stripes etc and yellow door surrounds but enabling the layers and added the NASA reg on the tail..

convert it over and tell me how it looks in sim...I haven't had time to do that part yet...as im at work...

PSD

PSP
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Wow, i'm impressed! I'll try it out. I also don't have much experience with photoshop so i'm stuck on putting the details in. Also, I want to add some flight plans for this aircraft, but I don't know where it's based at.
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

If you google NASA C-130, is a good start with lots of interesting information, also try this for a flightplan https://go.nasa.gov/2IOoBW8.

Regards Paul Day.
paul day
Captain
Captain

Post by paul day »

A little bit of further investigation reveals there is an FSX scenery for Wallops Test Facility KWAL by Tim van Ringen on AVSIM.

Regards Paul Day.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

You guys and your repainting skills! Nice find on the flight tracker site, I just heard the DC-8 over ATC freq a couple of weeks ago. Tracks NOAA flights as well, and those guys are busy with hurricane season in full.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Unfortunately, I don't have the programs needed to save the .psd file as a .dds file. Heck, I was attempting to do the repaint on a school computer (I'm a High School Senior) that has Photoshop. Is there anything else I could do, or does someone else need to test the paint out?
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

ok..quick update...

ive converted it using dxtbmp...now im rusty as hell with all this as haven't painted in years...so even tho I resized down to 1024x1024 flipped the image with the alpha added...file size is still a little larger than what johns original files were...so...not quite sure what ive missed..also...the top fuselage grey stripe isn't showing..haven't a clue about that..maybe a mapping issue as original file was from the c-130j...ive attached the dds image below...

the dxtbmp proggie you need to convert

http://www.mwgfx.co.uk/programs/dxtbmp.htm
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Alright, I tried out your updated file and it looks great. I made a simple flight plan from Wallops Research Facility to Wright-Patterson AFB, but I can make a more representative flight plan if that makes sense.
Attachments
HC-130H.JPG
Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

Glad you like..ive spotted a few errors especially the tail red markings...so ive adjusted those to the correct lines..also nose now darker and aligned a tad better

Trevytt2004
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Trevytt2004 »

better one...previous got blurred

jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Alrighty then. Can we upload this texture so other people can try it out? You can have the credit for the paint and i'll make the flightplans.
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Here's Trev's latest version of N436NA. Many thanks to him for bringing my idea to life. I want to try and get some aerial shots, but for some reason the plane wouldn't push back, even if the flightplan is VFR.
Attachments
N436NA.JPG
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Looking really good!
Cheers,
Martin
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Re-working my NASA files now that I have the WSAI/KRAI F-15B in, was this ever uploaded? Did you guys look at N439NA
https://espo.nasa.gov/sites/default/fil ... C_1203.JPG
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris