The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Ark Royal FSX - AF2_HM57.bgl at sea level

Share hints and tricks or your own modifications for MAIW Packages in Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D.
maplehurst
Cadet
Cadet

Ark Royal FSX - AF2_HM57.bgl at sea level

Post by maplehurst »

Surely this should be at deck level hence no Harrier traffic action takes place.

would appreciate some assistance please.

What is weird is that I have the lastest F-35b with vertical/short take-off mode which does position on the deck and does use the ski-ramp successfully

thanks Michael
Attachments
Capture.JPG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Ark Royal FSX - AF2_HM57.bgl at sea level

Post by John Young »

The package was produced over 3 and a half years ago Michael and I'm racking my brains as to why you are getting that result, when all is fine in my installation. It must work or the screen shots would not have been possible.

I think from a distant memory that it's crucial that the flatten area loads first and that puts the HM57.bgl at deck level. If you load from a saved situation or you slew to the ship from another location it's possible that it might not happen. Can you remember if there was a difference in the way you got to Ark Royal when the F-35's were visible on deck? Also, did you depart in anyway from the installation instructions for the Ark Royal scenery?

I've checked the documentation and the forum threads, but I can't find a reference to the problem. I'll continue to rack my brains for the answer, but if anyone has experienced and solved the same problem, please post.

John
maplehurst
Cadet
Cadet

Post by maplehurst »

Thank you for taking the time to look at this and very speed reply.
For the F-35, all I did was to look for HMS Ark Royal off Bembridge with the taget position of active runway. It positioned perfectly and was just a simple full power, with the shift Q to set up the STOL and reduced the fuel load to 25% and took-off perfectly.

As far as the AF2_HM57.bgl, I have looked at this file with AFX and even tried to change the elevation height - but nothing changed.

Just to make sure I had not screwed up the installation, I have deleted the old and reinstalled very, very carefully.

I am not sure how I would know or even how to make sure the flatten loads first - advice would be appreciated.

I did notice that AFX stated that the file was in FS2004 format - should I have to reset the format to FSX airport format and save to a new name? - just a thought.

thanks Michael
Attachments
Capture 2.JPG
Capture 1.JPG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Michael, would you mind just confirming for me, exactly what you have downloaded and installed please?

Once I know that, I'll re-install from there and see if I can replicate the problem.

John
maplehurst
Cadet
Cadet

Post by maplehurst »

HMS Ark Royal Task Force
Ark_Royal_ski_jump_FSX_files

I would of course like to see HMS Queen Elizabeth 2 - the home to F-35b but I guess that is for the future.

really appreciate your help - thanks

Michael
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I installed everything afresh from the two zips this morning Michael and found no problems. The deck is hard, I was sitting on it in my user aircraft and the AI Sea Harriers were performing their stuff:

I don't think it's a general problem. After nearly 4 years, other users would surely have flagged the problem by now and they haven't.

I'm wondering if it's the age old problem that prevents AI traffic showing in FSX because you have an FS9-formatted traffic file in the catchment area. That would prevent the Sea Harriers from showing. That's reinforced by your ability to land an F-35 on the deck. The deck must be "hard" and at the correct level to do that. I don't therefore think you have a problem with the Ark Royal package, but quite possibly you might have with your traffic files.

I would strongly recommend scanning your FSX installation (FSX/scenery/world/scenery and local folders) with the tool in AI Flight Planner to see if it can find any rogue files.

As to HMS Queen Elizabeth II, I have thought about it, but it's quite probable that someone has already made it by now. I haven't checked lately.

John