The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

JYAI C-130J Specials

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
asdro
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: JYAI C-130J Specials

Post by asdro »

These little things bring sceneries alive.
SeanG
Captain
Captain
Version: P3D

Post by SeanG »

John Young wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 06:46 Thanks Sean, very helpful. I'm assuming this is for FS9, but do we know how the scenery fares in FSX and P3Dv4 please?
Yes it is FS9, but allegedly runs in FSX ok. I will do a quick test and check that out.

Sean
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by jetrange »

I finally got a chance to work on and test my Tepper L-100s. A few tweaks need to be made. Here are the results:
Attachments
Tepper Herc 2.JPG
Tepper Herc 1.JPG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I've had my head down for the past couple of months, trying not to get distracted from the LC-130H's and the Schenectady Airport\Stratton ANG base project and accompanying AI vehicles. It has been quite a complex undertaking, particularly with custom scenery for all 3 sim versions. I decided to split the AI vehicles out into a separate upload to help users find them in the future and so that I can return later to make more vehicles if I feel inclined.

Here are the Ski Birds at Stratton:

Static LC-130D gate guard with 3 bladed props:

Static Cessna's on the civil side with a static B350, plus a Bombardier Global Express in the Richmor hangar:

The static aircraft are in a separate .bgl, so that users can remove them if desired. I have also added GA parking spots between them so a mix of AI and static is also possible.

I have made the museum, but I have not attempted the many static aircraft exhibits on display outside:

The project wouldn't be complete without an Arctic scenario, so I made an AFCAD for Thule, Greenland and sent one of the LC-130H's there to perform circuits and TNGs:

Finding the right time to observe the aircraft needed a bit of trial and error. For snow and daylight, April and October are about the only options.

Just some final checks to do and the manual to write and I'll upload shortly.

John
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

It's so unfair that so much skill has been given to one person.

Just overjoyed that you are happy to share with us mere mortals :)

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

Oh wow.... unbelievable, John!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Where do you get this unbelievable motivation and power :shock: ???
Regards, Manfred.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Very good question Manfred. I'm not sure if you were expecting a meaningful response, but since I think about it nearly every time I boot my PC, I can answer it quite easily, so I might as well share it.

“Power” is probably better expressed as “ability” and for me that comes from repeatedly practicing skills accumulated since FS98 came on the scene, 22 years ago. You would have done the same of course with your great skill levels and your RAF Brüggen is testament to that. It’s coupled with focus and a determination on my part to get to the end of a project with the minimum of distraction. The importance of “customers” is also important to me, having spent a part of my working career in “Quality Management”.

Motivation is more volatile. The sustaining factors are obviously due to interest in the subject and the need to research, discover and surprise (me and the user), building on previous successes over time. Age, family and spare time are also important of course. Designing for MSFS is a great way to keep the brain active after retirement, particularly when catering for 3 sim versions. I’ve always been an early bird, so using the quite hours between 6am and 8am each day is very productive without affecting family life.

Demotivation, to the point of chucking it in, affects us all eventually. The risk for me is not the 99.7% of users who download and never utter a word, but the potential dwindling of the 0.3% who do have the courtesy to interact. So long as I can confirm that what I’m doing is worthwhile and I’m not uploading into a black hole, then I can hopefully keep going for a while yet. That assumes of course that there are still worthwhile platforms to design for. I’m just a tad worried by a mass migration to FS2020 (it looks to outstrip everything currently available) and the unknown need, potential, demand and know how at this stage to design for it. On the bright side, it may be a new haven of new learning. We just have to wait and see.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Thank you very much for this detailed answer - I think this is so valuable and a basic part of development. To me, my motivation continuing development is the feedback and honour of the forums people. This is the payment for freeware developers and cash in advance for all those who download our stuff without any feedback at all 8)

Sorry for off-topic...
Regards, Manfred.
Mark Fox
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by Mark Fox »

John,

I, as one of the 99.7%, do appreciate your efforts and your willingness to share. I am extremely fond of your C-130s (unreformed former HC-130P/C-130E/C-130H2.5 crew chief) and your F-35s (a current F-35 DT production superintendent).

In P3D, most of my enjoyment is derived from AI. I fly very little.

Do what works for you John. You've added so much, and it's time that I honored that fact.

Mark
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thank you Mark, much appreciated.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The LC-130H/Schenectady/Stratton ANG packages (FS9 and FSX/P3Dv4) were sent for inclusion in the Download Hangar this morning. As always, please give Greg a chance to make them available.

John
paul day
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by paul day »

Hi John
Is this correct?
AC#2,,1%,24Hr,IFR,01:12:04,03:33:56,190,R,0301,KSCH,14:49:59,17:22:02,220,R,0301,KCHS,17:42:04,20:03:56,210,R,0301,KSCH,22:19:59,00:52:02,200,R,0301,KCHS

Is this aircraft meant to be at Charleston or Schenectady? These are from the FS9 flightplans.
KSCH=Schenectady
KCHS=Charleston

Regards Paul Day.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It should be a round trip from Schenectady to Charleston Paul.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 17 Nov 2019, 06:56 Demotivation, to the point of chucking it in, affects us all eventually. The risk for me is not the 99.7% of users who download and never utter a word, but the potential dwindling of the 0.3% who do have the courtesy to interact. So long as I can confirm that what I’m doing is worthwhile and I’m not uploading into a black hole, then I can hopefully keep going for a while yet. That assumes of course that there are still worthwhile platforms to design for. I’m just a tad worried by a mass migration to FS2020 (it looks to outstrip everything currently available) and the unknown need, potential, demand and know how at this stage to design for it. On the bright side, it may be a new haven of new learning. We just have to wait and see.

John
John. just a word to raise my head above that 99.7% parapet. Your work is very much appreciated, especially by this old C130K driver (along with a number of your other aircraft). And it may be that your work will translate in some way to MSFS2020; see the latest info here: https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4953/#fsxbeta

Please keep doing what you do so well. It's an incredible legacy you're leaving.

Tim
france
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by france »

Great job John.

Where i' can find a Mc Murdo Base and annex airfield:
Wllliams Field NZWD and, Phoenix Field NZFX.
Thanks.

Francesco.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thank you Tim and Francesco.

I'm not sure that you can find decent freeware scenery of the Antarctic bases, but I did come across some good looking pay-ware products from Aerosoft and Just Flight, for FSX.

If users here have found some freeware offerings, perhaps they would post here.

John
bvanhout
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bvanhout »

Great work as usual John.
Francesco, there is an FSX version of Mc Murdo (NZSP) on the Fly Away Simulation site:
https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads ... n-scenery/

Brian
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Thank you very much for the new C-130's! Can these C-130's be placed into one folder with the other JYAI C-130's? Or do they need to be separate? (the readme doesn't say)
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Yes indeed, they can be combined with the other short fuselage variants, but not the J-30's.