The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Thoughts on the next project

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Thoughts on the next project

Post by John Young »

Scanning through all the above suggestions, the most frequently mentioned are the Jet Provost/Strikemaster and the Lynx/Wildcat, but only with a handful of votes. Just exploring the former for the moment, the votes in the Owl's Nest poll are currently 171 for the JP and 104 for the Strikemaster.

The JP is very doable, as is the Strikemaster at least model-wise. There are however a few problems to overcome with the Strikemaster - historic serial numbers, bases to put them/send the traffic to and the number of paints. From what I can tell, this is the delivery list of 133 aircraft, but I have also seen a figure of 150:

22 Ecuador
6 Kenya
12 Kuwait
16 New Zealand
45 Saudi Arabia
12 Oman
16 Singapore
4 South Yemen

There are also some surviving airworthy examples of course, particularly in the UK.

For the Strikemaster, which nations are really wanted please? I'm not looking for a wish list, but I'll consider any suggestions where the user has scenery and might be able to help information-wise.

John
hschuit
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by hschuit »

I thought about JP's when I converted RAF Linton on Ouse for FSX/P3D. The RAF Jet Provosts alone would be great, what if you start with the T.3A, T.4 and T.5A/B and decide on the export versions later?

Henk.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I would need to plan the texture sheet to accommodate the Strikemaster, Henk, so that's better done in conjunction with the RAF JP T.5's. Not a big deal. It's the painting that would be the big job. Maybe I just include the Strikemaster models for now with sample paints and a paint kit.

There would be enough to do with the RAF T.5's (for the period before withdrawl from service - around 1990-1993 - for Linton, Finningley and Cranwell (Church Fenton ceased JP's in 1989). I don't really want to make T.3A's and T.4's as well. That would really complicate things.

John
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Thoughts on the next project

Post by gsnde »

Did I ever suggest the Nimrod? ;-)

I have just converted the RAF base series from Brian Clarke and Daryl Payne. So many beautiful bases.

Have either Nimrods and Provosts been based on any of these airfields?

Which Linton have you used, Henk? UKMil?
Cheers,
Martin
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by hschuit »

John, you are right, the T.5s are the most relevant ones. Let me know if I can help with serial lists - I have the Euromil books from 1988, 1990 and 1993.

Martin: I converted Linton from Mark Campbell with a couple of other RAF training bases and the Tucano's for Greg, they should be in the Matrix now. I think it was the old Military Airfields in Yorkshire package (by Stephen Legg & Rob Brittain?).

Henk
merlin101
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Post by merlin101 »

Definitely like like to see lynx/wildcat in ai form. I currently work on Army wildcats at Yeovilton!
Dave
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

In deciding what new models to tackle, maybe it would be useful to designate some periods to cover the grouping of aircraft types and versions? It would seem that there's a fairly strong interest in the 1980s (Cold War) period - one for which you, John, have supplied several AI aircraft. In the context of period contiguity, the 1980s UK skies contained more JP T3/4s than T5s (400 vs 110), flying from Linton, Fenton, Leeming, Brawdy, Scampton, and Cranwell, and using RLGs at Elvington, Holme-on-Spalding-Moor, Dishforth, Topcliffe, Swinderby, and St Davids (and more).

Move the focus to the 60s and 70s, and the preponderance of the T3 is even greater, with the addition of Manby, Acklington, Strubby, Rufforth and probably several more (my memory isn't at full power having only just got up!).
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The reason I posted now was to test the water on the Strikemaster. I can see, so far, that’s luke warm, but I’m going to include the models (loaded and clean), a sample Saudi paint and a paint kit in case someone wants to generate more later.

The RAF JP’s are also quite complex to pin down too because there is huge variability in type and paint schemes over the 35 year service life of the T.3’s, T.4's and later, the T.5’s. My current plan is make the T.5 and T.5B and paint 71 of the 110 built. I’m doing that for the period 1990-1993 at the end of the cold war, because that’s the period we’ve tended to use for retro RAF/USAF airfields (myself, Ian and Manfred for RAF Germany). The downside with that is that it misses the T.5 display teams like the Pelicans, Poachers and Blades that were 15 years and more earlier. I might paint them anyway.

The T.3/T.4 is a huge complication should I go that far. 386 of those versions were built and again the variability of paint schemes over time is quite large. I’m also not sure of the availability of scenery for some of those historic RAF bases, at least not for all 3 sim versions. It’s not something I particularly want to do, but, like the Strikemaster, I could make the T.3/4 model, one paint and a paint kit, if there is a true demand for it.

I’m actually a fair way down the road with the project. The Strikemaster is done for FS9, as is the RAF T.5 and T.5B with the master paints for 1FTS, 6FTS, 7FTS and Cranwell. I’ll post some screen shots in a new JP topic in the JYAI section as soon as I have the models and master paints converted for FSX/P3Dv4.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, if your chosen period is right at the end of the JP’s service life, you obviously are restricted in the paintschemes that apply - though I have to say that the RAF got a lot more colourful after the Cold War! Most of my RAF time was notable for fairly dull colour schemes, until the Gulf War allowed some local unit interpretations on the temporary pink paints, and someone persuaded Their Airships that black was a suitable colour for training aircraft.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

My take is that either project would be nice. I am a bit of an AI slut and will take anything that you want to produce.
I did a Spinex in a JP5 so that would be my preference but both will be welcomed here. The Strikemaster would be very nice, I am thinking in particular of Oman and NZ here.
Steve
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Well it is your choice at what you want to make next. But if it is a retro model I will pass on it. I am not into the retro stuff at all.
gsnde
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by gsnde »

If I had to choose between a today aircraft or retro setup I would choose retro for sure.

But combining both in my virtual skies is the best thing possible. Thanks to all that make this happen!

From mobile hence short

Cheers,
Martin
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by Delboy99 »

John,

I'll be happy with whatever you choose to do next. A JP would fit nicely into my retro 1980s setup. I would love to be able to add the Brawdy based Camouflaged T4s to my sim.

Del
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That was so weird Del. I have the Warpaint book of the Jet Provost and was just looking at the Brawdy camouflaged T4 illustration while this screen was loading. I'll see how things go.

Thanks for the Arabic font for the Strikemaster.

John
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Hi John
Would love a T3, I had a trip in one from Church Fenton........ years ago when I was an Air Cadet, they used to have a weather ship go out single pilot so I just bimbled up and asked. They could only say no lol!

Gary
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Some nice T4 colour schemes as well :)
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

OK, no problem. I'll do this in two stages then. I'll complete the T.5's, do what I can to set them up (I still have to research scenery) and then make the T4's. We can explore the favoured paint schemes a bit later, but TWE is probably a must.

Incidentally, the T5's are not all red and white. I've painted the two solo display T5B's from 6 FTS with the blue upper fuselage and striped tip tanks. One of those is still flying today in private hands I think, so that's an added bonus.

John
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

John,
I have an almost finished retro (1991 era) RNZAF Ohakea, and a list of airframes from that time period... if that helps give the Strikemaster a wee nudge ;-)

SeanG
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Very good Sean, I was looking for a second Strikemaster to paint and since Steve has suggested it too, I'll make it New Zealand. If you have the serials and tail numbers please, that would be useful.

John
SeanG
Captain
Captain

Post by SeanG »

\o/ woohoo!

I also have RNZAF paint charts here somewhere... and access to a real aircraft if you want detail photos etc....

SeanG