The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Install FSX Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Install FSX Windows 10

Post by pslinger »

I would like some advice on installing FSX on a new computer. I’ve reviewed some of the previous postings and it doesn’t appear that partitioning the hard drive is an option. The computer came with the software installed and if I understand some of the earlier posts correctly, the drive should be partitioned before the software is installed. If I've misunderstood, just let me know. The computer has the following specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit version 1909 build 18363.535
CPU Intel i& 3.2 GHz
RAM 16 GB Single Channel
Motherboard Microstar International B360M Pro-VDH
Graphics 2047 Mb NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti (EVGA)
232 GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO
931 GB Seagate ST1000M010

Any thoughts, suggestions, ideal would be appreciated. I would like to take advantage of the machines capabilities. Thanks in advance.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Install FSX Windows 10

Post by Firebird »

The drive can be partitioned in its present state by using Minitool Partition Wizard. You only need the free version to achieve what you want.

It really all depends on who much free space you have on the drive. This is the maximum sie of the partition although common sense says that you should bot leave it that tight so that your current partition has room to grow.

The way you do it is a two step process.
First you resize the original partition down to a size that you want, providing that that size is larger then the used space on the drive.
Secondly you create a new partition on free space that has been created on the drive.

Now what i would say is that I have resized and moved partitions using this tool numerous times and I have never had a problem. However, make sure you have a back of your drive before you start just in case you need to restore.

What happens when you shrink the size of the partition is that any files that currently reside above that cut off point for the new size will get moved. This is why you must get the size right and why you must have a back - just in case of problems.
Common sense also says that you close down as many things on your PC before the resizing to ensure that you don't get corruptions there.
Once that step has been completed, trying rebooting to ensure that no unforeseen errors have occurred. Providing that you are clear then create the new disk of any size up to the maximum free space available.

It goes without saying that if you can afford to then I would suggest that you don't use all the free space. this will give you a future buffer. You could either add another partition, or you could extend one or both partitions to increase their size. Should you ever need to.

To take the best advantage of this leave the original partition at the front of the drive and create the new partition at the end of the drive. This will leave all the remaining free space in one chunk in the middle to enable you to have complete flexibility later.
Steve
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Hi Steve and thanks for the detailed response. This is all pretty new to me so I'm going to need a little bit of time to wade through all this. Downloaded Minitool Partition Wizard and I'm going to do some reading from the website and explore the layout and functionality of the program. Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

No problem.
It is a pretty obvious tool to use. The one thing that might catch you out is that once you choose what changes you want to make it doesn't immediately action it. It allows you to build a list and action them together.

It lists them on the left hand side and you have to hit the apply button for them to be actioned. A useful last chance option to not do something.

Again a disk backup first is always best but it should be easy for you to achieve what you want.

Good tool if you want to convert your drive to GPT from MBR as well. On this a disk backup is mandatory unless it is a fresh disk.
Steve
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Another question. If FSX is installed to another location, other than the default drive and location, how do programs know where to find FSX? On my computer the default drive is C\ however when I attempt to run AIFP I receive a message; "No version of FlightSim found in System Registry. AIFP cannot continue...". When I go into Regedit I can find the path statement to the alternate location. What do I need to do to point AIFP, and other programs, to the FSX location? Thanks

Paul
jimrodger
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jimrodger »

AIFP has in it's folder AIFP.ini, an editable text file. Here you can set up your paths.

Jim
"When all else fails, and your AI doesn't show up...... check the AI slider.......DOH!!!!"
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK so just to be clear.

Have you used AIFP before, for FS9?

What does your path in the registry say for your FSX installation?
What is your actual path for the fax.exe on your system?

Finally, in your AIFP.ini file what does it say for the path tp the FSX?

The reason I ask is that you don't install AIFP. After my fresh install. What I found is that when I first started AIFP afterwards it automatically altered the path to the new fsx.cfg and fs9.cfg file locations.
OK so the Windows search util doesn't know about AIFP it but my toolbar shortcut still works.

Now to answer your original question. The programs will no the installation point in one of two ways.
1. They look in the registry (nice and clean)
2. You have to tell the program where it it/they are installed.
Steve
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

Hi Steve, yes I have used AIFP for FS9 and didn't have any issues. However I had FS9 installed to the default location and I had AIFP located in a FS9 Utilities folder. I can't seem to either find or open the .ini file. I'm assuming the AIFP3 file is the .ini file, however I 'm not sure how to open it and look for the path statement. I am using AIFP version 3.2.21. If I right click on the AIFP icon, I get the usual Open, Run As Administrator, Properties, etc. This is the FSX path statement when I look in the registry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\10.0

I'm sorry if I'm missing something very basic and thanks for the help.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

You are not missing anything. In the registry you have found the key but what is the value of the AppPath String under that?
It should match the actual path where you have the FSX.exe

Now as to how to open the AIFP.ini file that is simple. It, same as all .ini files, are text files so you can open it with any text editor including notepad.
All the paths should be the first few lines.

See if that path and the reg entry match your actual path.
Steve
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

This is what is in the AppPath:

D:\Microsoft\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\

I am unable to find an AIFP.ini file. I saved a couple of older versions of AIFP and version 3.2.18 has an AIFP.ini file, the version I downloaded does not. I am going to try and download 3.2.21 again and if the .ini file is still missing, I will try working with the 3.2.18 version.

Paul
pslinger
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by pslinger »

OK, have it running. Downloaded version 3.2.21 again and didn't find the .ini file. Re-installed version 3.2.19 with the .ini file, made the necessary modifications and everything is working. Modified both the Path to FSX and path to FSX.cfg. If there is anything else I need to change, could you let me know? Thanks for your help and your patience, I appreciate it.

Paul
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The ini file doesn't come with the proggie it gets created when you run it. So it would have been in your AIFP folder. The chances are that your old one would have been fine as well.

Any way you are up and running.
Steve