The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Windows 10

Use this forum to discuss technical issues related to the operation of your computer. Graphics, Hardward, Software, settings, etc.
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Windows 10

Post by Weescotty »

If you have a copy of the install keys you should be able to get a lot back.
Office is tricky, after you reinstall and put in the key it may fail to activate. You should be able to select activate by telephone and follow the automatic stuff through.
If you have the keys for FSDS quite a few of us still have the install files.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

The problem I have is that a lot of the keys were lost quite a few years ago when there was a mail system corruption. So I was relying on the backups.

On office it doesn't recognise the key, either automatically or via the phone system, I tried it as I needed to replace the one on the laptop anyway so I experimented.
It seems that either 2013 keys are not kept or the fact that it was never associated with an outlook/hotmail account is the issue.

I have been speaking to Acronis for 4 days and it seems that they are of the opinion that something went wrong in he 2019 to 2020 update and the backups contain the files but the system can't see them to recover them.

Upshot is a long, laborious, costly exercise.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

You may be lucky with the software.
As long as you can prove you bought it, they may replace your install key.
I had lost all my Ultimate Traffic details (to get the cheap upgrade to Live), but some emails to and fro with the publishers got me my original key back.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

This is basically the route I have to go. Unless I get a sudden piece of luck I will have to start adding program keys from scratch. God knows how I will get some things like Ultraedit as the version I used was so out of date they will probably not supply one even if they have kept it.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

OK well I think that I can safely say that I am now fully backup and running.
It had taken me a long time to search out proggies and keys and get everything back.

I learned a couple of useful things along the way.

Firstly the whole issue was caused by TrueImage 2020. When they looked into my situation they found that some non-working alpha version got put on their internal server and this was compiled and made available as an upgrade.
How do I know this? Well they sent out an email to all their users saying that it was an internal server issue and that everybody should upgrade to a newer problem free version and then wipe out their current backups and start again as no recoveries were possible.
Just my bad luck to try a restore at that time.

Under the system instigated under W10 I can confirm that you don't need to keep track of your windows key as it is stored online. This is the reason that as part of an installation/recovery you have to specify your MS account email. This is where it is stored.

One or two other things I found did not install. My very old version of ExamDiff Pro wouldn't install so I had to buy the latest version.
My old version of UltraEdit needed to be replaced with the latest version, but at least I got to finish my fs9.cfg wordfile for the program and the latest version has a dark mode which is nice.

Also one program that the OS said had an incompatible installer was AircraftContainerManager, ACM, which is very old and hasn't been developed for years. However, what i did find was that although it wouldn't install it would run quite happily without needing the registry. In effect a portable app. So for everyone still using this just keep a backup of the installation folder and you will be OK if bad things happen.

One weird thing occurred. I was completely unable to install FS9. Now thinking about it now it could be that I have two monitors and this is what was throwing the initial start out. Don't forget it was released before people used multiple monitors.
What I was able to do was use a copy of a clean installation that I kept as a backup and copied that over and then use Martins registration checking tool to add the reg entries.

I then had an issue with one addon scenery file which meant that FS9 hung at the selection window. No aircraft appeared no buttons would respond. A solution was found for that but it seems that a clean system is slightly different from an upgraded system from W7.
The scenery worked perfectly well before the wipe but afterwards it hung on a file that had nothing in it, a 0 KB file.

Also I found that my version of Office pre-dated their current registration scheme and refused to recognise the key, so i had to buy a new version.

In the end , I had to buy 3 bits of software UltraEdit, ExamDiff Pro and Office 2016 at a cost of around £160.

The reason that it took so long to recover was basically trying to resource the original installer programs and their keys.
Taking advantage of the situation I took the trouble to create an 'ARCHIVE' folder on partition that was not on the disk that has the boot partition on it, an external USB drive could also be used. In this I placed all of the installer proggies and the necessary keys. So if it happens again I can rebuild the 'puter again from scratch in hours not months.

You never know some of this may be useful to somebody out there.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Hi Steve,
FS9 - Problem as far as I am aware is that it uses Safedisk.
Funnily, I use a BluRay player as my internal CD/DVD drive, and although it was slow to install, install it did.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Hi Steve. Sorry I didn't come back earlier - I had to source a new DVD drive and then find time to try installing FS9 on Win10 Build 1909. I can report that it went perfectly, and the patches to 9.1 and NoCD were also painless. This was a clean installation of Win10 in December (I think it was 1903 at the time).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is what I understood you could do, Tim.
It installed fine but when when you went into an option to create a flight it just went mental and threw programs and icons all over the place and of course altered the desktop size, and hung.
I tried that a couple of times.
I have said to a couple of others that maybe I should have discnnected the second monitor and tried, but I didn't think of it at the time.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I haven’t tried with a second monitor, but everything works just fine with my 34” QHD monitor.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

FS9 is so old that I think that it may well be the case but I can't prove it unless I go through the install process again, which i might try - if I get really bored.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have to admit to being one of those Windows 10 sceptics, but having received my new W10 PC last Friday, set it up and had a play with it, I’m actually quite delighted with the system.

The customisation and the transfer of all my programs from my Windows 7 PC took about 30 hours (a reason in itself to take and store a complete image), but everything went well, including e-mail with “Mailwasher”at the front end, Chrome, MS Office, FS9, FSX, P3Dv4, Gmax and the rest of my design programs. Even programs that are more than 10 years old installed without a problem. FS9 runs just as it did with Windows 7, with the “no-CD” patch of course. FSX and P3Dv4 look even better with the new graphics card. I think in all probability it was an easier transfer than Windows XP to Windows 7. My thanks to Steve for his hints and tips that he gave me while I was waiting for the PC to arrive.

Some features are buried, but what surprised me is how good the system is at finding them – it bends over backwards to help you. Having found and "iconized" what I use regularly, I have a desktop very similar in layout to my Windows 7 one, but with a different picture to ring the changes.

The system is always connected to the Microsoft mother ship and it does seem to be updating regularly. I guess I just have to wait for the first major update in 2020 to see if it creates any problems.

I’ve done a bit of work on the E-2 Hawkeye model with Gmax this morning and I’m pleased to say that it was all fine, including the export to the sim.

So, apprehension over, I"m back in business.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Good news, John. It’s worth setting up the update preferences so that Win10 doesn’t take you by surprise by shutting things down to update when you’re in the middle of something. That may have been modified in the later builds, but it was certainly an issue in earlier ones.

I have to say that I find Win10 excellent; it has pretty much brought me back into the PC fold after years of Macs!
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

As I had a power glitch during my Windows 10 1909 --> 2004 update, I have ended up having to reinstall from scratch.

Never thought I would be glad of something in Windows, but Storage Spaces worked as they were supposed to.
So I have
1 x M.2 SSD for boot
2 x Samsung SSD as a 500Gb Mirror
2 x Samsung SSD as a 1Tb Mirror
Both the mirrors were setup as Windows Stoarge Spaces.
I know, it's software RAID 1 but as they are SSD's it is still fast.

Result...
Unplugged the power from them while i reinstalled Windows.
After that I plugged the power back in.
BOTH Mirrors are recognised and auto added back to Storage Spaces. (drive letters did change, but easily fixed)
The Storage Space details are stored on the drives themselves, so you can also move them to a completely different system without losing anything.

All I need to do now is re-install some progs back over the top of them and should be back up and running.

Bit Extra -
Apparenlty you can use the command line part of Storage Spaces to setup a tiered space where two mechanical drives are accelerated by a SSD that is used as a cache.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I admit that I hadn't heard of this so I will read up on it.

On the 2004 Upgrade I am still waiting for mine. Still available on either my PC or the laptop but was available immediately on my missus' PC. That went without a hitch.
Steve
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Just to let people know that finally 3 weeks after release Windows 10 2004 finally became available for me last night.
If you are waiting for it you will have to search for updates. It will not download automatically.

It took an hour to do its prep, download and install. It was on 94% install for about 20 mins so don't think that it is stuck.
One other useful thing. If like me you have external USB drives which you switch off before updates then it will wipe/lose the drive letters to those devices. Not a big deal but if you are somebody like me with 8 external drives that you like to have specific letters then be prepared to have to manually manipulate them.

As always any devices that you may have disabled, will be re-enabled and if you use nvidia inspector to remove the jaggies you will have to re-apply them.

One annoying thing that I could not find away around was that whenever I opened FS9 a windows requestor opened up stating that I needed to install a new method of overlaying game screens and it leads you to XBOX game launcher from the Windows store.
I purposely removed it before as I never use it.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks for that Steve. So does that mean we should install the XBOX game launcher in order to run FS9? If you had previously removed it before the update, should I already have a copy on my Windows 10 1909 ? I've searched but couldn't find it.

John
buzzbee1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by buzzbee1973 »

Hi all,

after installation of Windows 10 2004 Fs9 works as normal. Same as before the update.

Regards

Marcus
Regards

Marcus
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

John Young wrote: 17 Jun 2020, 11:37 Thanks for that Steve. So does that mean we should install the XBOX game launcher in order to run FS9? If you had previously removed it before the update, should I already have a copy on my Windows 10 1909 ? I've searched but couldn't find it.

John
I could be wrong here, but I think that it is automatically installed in W10. In one of those moments that I have occasionally, I removed some really useless, at least for me, default stuff. I can't remember why I removed it but it was nothing to do with any problems - just purely as i don't have an Xbox. The program is XBOX Game Bar. You don't need it, or at least I never had.

It seems, that this latest update will prompt you every time you start an MS game until you install it. A ridiculous thing if you ask me and if I am correct it must be something to do with the melding of game experiences between the PC and Xbox and the ability for multi-player across platforms. It could also be that FS2020 will use its features, whatever they are.

You may very well find that you have it installed already. I just wanted to bring it to peoples attention in case they thought that something was wrong.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

2004 downloaded and installed automatically on three of my W10 boxes - including my old 2009 Dell Studio XPS 1340. Not yet available for my main gaming computer (probably waiting for either graphics drivers or BIOS updates).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is a bit weird, Tim. I haven't heard of anybody having it auto downloaded.

On both of the machines in my house it was showing as available if you want it but you had to click to download it. On Deb's PC that was the first day and on mine not until Tuesday evening.

What is different this time is that there are 3 cases. One it will show as available for download. The second shows nothing (i.e. not made available for your machine yet) and the final one is that it is not available for your machine due to incomparability and it tells you the issue.

So at least this time you will know if you are incompatible or just not available to yo yet.

*** UPDATE ***
I have just read on Neowin that MS have indeed started automatically rolling out the update but only to people on older versions of Windows 10. They have just started rolling it out to users on 1809, which is going out of support soon.
Steve