The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

MCAS Iwankuni SCENERY ISSUE

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
shahadiabraham
Cadet
Cadet
Version: FSX

MCAS Iwankuni SCENERY ISSUE

Post by shahadiabraham »

I installed two FS9 scenery packages, Iwakuni_2016_FS9_2, and Iwakuni 2018 with the following result:
water filled land areas of the air station
water filled land areas of the air station
As you can see, the air station ground areas are filled with sea water. I am at a lost for a solution.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: MCAS Iwankuni SCENERY ISSUE

Post by TimC340 »

As far as I can see, the 2018 package was a replacement for the 2016 package, not a supplement. So you should have uninstalled the 2016 version before installing the 2018 version.
shahadiabraham
Cadet
Cadet

Post by shahadiabraham »

Now, I uninstalled Iwakuni_2016_FS9_2, and Iwakuni 2018 and returned to the default rendering of the MCAS as shown below:
default_MCAS_Iwakuni (1024x520).jpg
Please note the default MCAS Iwakuni with A/C nose pointed at RWY2 at N34°7.18' E132°13.82' Mag 16
MCAS_Iwakuni_2018 (1024x476).jpg
Here the A/C nose pointed at RWY2 has changed to N34°7.07' E132°14.67' Mag 16.

This exercise shows something is errant in my installation of MCAS Iwakuni 2018.

Solutions please.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Ok. I'm nothing to do with this scenery package, but the default Iwakuni is the old airfield before the land reclamation was done and the new runway was built a few hundred metres further east on land which was previously sea - that's why you've moved. Whether there's something missing in this iteration of the airport I'm not sure, but I'm sure one of the guys can give you an explanation. I note you mention that you've used the FS9 package but your profile says you use FSX. Is that correct?
shahadiabraham
Cadet
Cadet

Post by shahadiabraham »

TimC340 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 18:18 Ok. I'm nothing to do with this scenery package, but the default Iwakuni is the old airfield before the land reclamation was done and the new runway was built a few hundred metres further east on land which was previously sea - that's why you've moved. Whether there's something missing in this iteration of the airport I'm not sure, but I'm sure one of the guys can give you an explanation. I note you mention that you've used the FS9 package but your profile says you use FSX. Is that correct?
Interesting. I suppose filling the water sections with an appropriate apron in ADE may help. A lot of work for a released package. I have not found a support thread for this package, any other way to communicate with the authors? Finally, yes I am using FSX.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

shahadiabraham wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 21:01 I installed two FS9 scenery packages, Iwakuni_2016_FS9_2, and Iwakuni 2018 with the following result:

The problem I think, is that you are installing an FS9 package into FSX.

To make Iwakuni 2018 compatible with FSX you need to add the updated scenery files that are in the JYAI F-35B package. This is the link:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... -and-p3dv4

That should solve your problem.

John
shahadiabraham
Cadet
Cadet

Post by shahadiabraham »

John Young wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 15:15
shahadiabraham wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 21:01 I installed two FS9 scenery packages, Iwakuni_2016_FS9_2, and Iwakuni 2018 with the following result:

The problem I think, is that you are installing an FS9 package into FSX.

To make Iwakuni 2018 compatible with FSX you need to add the updated scenery files that are in the JYAI F-35B package. This is the link:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... -and-p3dv4

That should solve your problem.

John
Indeed, I am one happy camper. Now, to populate the air station with CAW-5 birds!

Thank you John.
Attachments
Iwakuni_2018 (1024x204).jpg
Iwakuni_2018 (1024x204).jpg
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I modified (well, pretty much rebuilt) the MAIW Iwakuni to fit P3D's default photoreal background ayear or so ago. I still need to sort out John's harbour to make it fit! Not that I normally visit Japan in-game, but it was a fun exercise.

shahadiabraham
Cadet
Cadet

Post by shahadiabraham »

Very nice work Tim. You're an artist. Thank you for sharing. I got Iwakuni populated with an air wing...strapped into my C-1A trader for Atsugi to my chagrin it was almost as a ghost town, just a few birds. I imagine the CAW-5 moved to Iwakuni even in sim life as well. Thank you.
mrobertsco2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mrobertsco2 »

Hello, I am a long time fan of MAIW and use many of the packages from you guys. I actually currently fly out of Iwakuni, so I was trying to beef up the scenery around RJOI. I use FSX, so I started with the 2018 update and then added the necessary files from the F-35 update package. (specifically the CVX file). I am finding that the majority of the buildings are missing for some reason... and I cannot figure out why. I attached a screenshot pulled why hovering over the airfield looking NNW from the south end of RWY 2. Looking to see if anyone else had this problem or can help me out.

Small note: if you want the parking to be accurate, the CVW-5 ramp should be North to South in this order:
VAW-125
VAQ-141
VFA-102
VFA-195
VFA-27
VFA115

and The MAG-12 Ramp North to South in order:

UDP Squadron (i.e. stateside squadron on temporary deployment)
VMFA-121
VMFA-242
Attachments
RJOI MISSING BUILDINGS.JPG
Matt
"FLY NAVY"
WINDOWS 10 64 BIT // INTEL CORE i7-4770T
16GB RAM // DIRECTX12
NVIDIA GEFORCE 730A
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Matt, everything you need should be in the MAIW Scenery Library package. If it's not there, try adding the Atsugi and Beaufort obj packages (which I thought were in the MAIW package anyway). I don't think I added anything else to my P3Dv4 version (pics above).
mrobertsco2
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by mrobertsco2 »

TimC340 wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 12:50 Matt, everything you need should be in the MAIW Scenery Library package. If it's not there, try adding the Atsugi and Beaufort obj packages (which I thought were in the MAIW package anyway). I don't think I added anything else to my P3Dv4 version (pics above).
So I redownloaded all those object libraries, and sure enough it worked. Maybe those files were lost or corrupted. Thanks for the help!
Matt
"FLY NAVY"
WINDOWS 10 64 BIT // INTEL CORE i7-4770T
16GB RAM // DIRECTX12
NVIDIA GEFORCE 730A
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

TimC340 wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 09:24 I modified (well, pretty much rebuilt) the MAIW Iwakuni to fit P3D's default photoreal background ayear or so ago. I still need to sort out John's harbour to make it fit! Not that I normally visit Japan in-game, but it was a fun exercise.

Tim is this P3D photoreal version mod available somewhere? I almost sat down to do something similar... glad I spotted this.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The Iwakuni photoreal background is included in P3Dv4 and v5 as a default feature, which is why I discovered the old MAIW version was in the wrong place. I think I lost the version that I rebuilt and is in the pictures in one or other computer SSD melt-down that I've had in the last year (there have been more than one!). I think you'll find the background under the 'Cities' folder in P3D's Scenery, but it should display by default - unless you have another third-party scenery package overlaying the area.

If I can find that AFD, I'll post it up here again. It uses all-MAIW libraries.