The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Sewart AFB

Post all your own Military AI projects here from days gone by.
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Sewart AFB

Post by jetrange »

I have this idea floating around about making more retro paints for the JYAI Hercs. I'm thinking of maybe making a scenery of the former Sewart AFB in Smyrna, TN and paints of the stationed units to go along with it. Sewart was a major C-130 base from 1956 to 1971. The challenge for me is finding the aircraft based there and what aircraft to paint based on the time frame. What's the best way to find serials of older aircraft?
phantomfreak
Major
Major
Version: FS9

Re: Sewart AFB

Post by phantomfreak »

Joe Baugher's website should have the serials you are looking for, could also try www.Scramble.nl, I use it quite a bit.
Bazinga!
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

It’d be nice to have the A-model Herc with three-bladed props for Sewart- and maybe even the pre-radome nose. But I think John’s had enough of new models in that project! I wonder if you could do a simulation of The Four Horsemen C-130 formation team? If you haven’t heard of them, look them up on YouTube...
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Stewart also had "E's" I think:

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Sewart_Air_Force_Base

Depends how far back jetrange wan't to retro. The "A" without the nose radome is so ugly. I'd hate to spoil the airframe with it, but apart from that, changing the nose is a heap of work. I'm trying to avoid trying to avoid getting side tracked from my S92 project, which is progressing well.

John
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by jetrange »

Very few C-130As had the shorter nose. What they had model-wise was of course the 3 bladed props and 2 outboard 450 gal external fuel tanks. But I think the C-130B model can work just as well. I'll figure out which time frame I want to do.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 19 May 2020, 11:48 Stewart also had "E's" I think:

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/Sewart_Air_Force_Base

Depends how far back jetrange wan't to retro. The "A" without the nose radome is so ugly. I'd hate to spoil the airframe with it, but apart from that, changing the nose is a heap of work. I'm trying to avoid trying to avoid getting side tracked from my S92 project, which is progressing well.

John
John, don't worry, I'm not asking for anything! Just a bit of nostalgia. Sewart closed before I flew the C-130, but I vividly remember the old B&W movies of the Four Horsemen. I did get to drive a C-130A gunship once, from Greenham Common to Lyneham. It really was a gutless wonder compared to the C-130K, but those 3-bladed props were huge!