The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Army Air Corps Islanders/Defenders

Here you can search for, request or display your military AI repaints for others to enjoy.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team
Version: P3D

Army Air Corps Islanders/Defenders

Post by tango234 »

I've started working on the Britten-Norman Defenders/Islanders that the Army Air Corps have based with 651 Squadron at Aldergrove, mainly because the paints I had installed for them are absolutely ancient and no longer quite accurate. These are very much a work in progress, and I'm still very much at the 'I have no idea what I'm doing' stage when it comes to repainting things, so please forgive the obvious issues like the serials being a different height on each side of the fuselage :oops:.

According to scramble there are 9 Defenders and 3 Islanders active in total with 651. That may well be out of date info but since it seems about right I'm going with it. There are two slight variations in paint scheme-one for the three islanders (XG845, 46 and 48) as seen here:
https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8281084
and another for the 9 Defenders (ZH001-5 and ZG995-8), as seen here:
https://www.airplane-pictures.net/photo ... ender-t-3/
So far I've only started on the one for the Islanders.

Ignore the fact the Defenders are greenish in the background-they're still using the repaint I had installed previously and I've yet to touch them. They're only there because I did the flightsim entries first and set up some quick test plans.

If and when these become good enough to release I'll upload them in the download area along with some basic flightplans.

I've got a few questions so far (more coming no doubt):

1.Does the grey look about right?

2.What font is best for the serials? Right now I'm using Segoe UI Semi-Bold, which is mostly ok, but there are some differences (eg. in the 8 and the G) between that and what the planes actually have. I can always have a stab and trying to edit said letters/numbers manually but would rather avoid it for now.

3. Does anyone know of a decent top down view of XG845, XG846 or XG848? I know there are roundels on the underside of the wings which I have yet to do but am not sure if there's anything on top yet.
Delboy99
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Re: Army Air Corps Islanders/Defenders

Post by Delboy99 »

For RAF/UK serials I use the RAF_PW_ATH font, or RAF_PW_ATH-gimp for Gimp users. I got it from the Simmers Paintshop website several years ago, but I don't think that site exists any more. If you can't find it on line and would like a copy PM me.
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

On AVSIM, there is a file with repaints and flightplans for rmy Air Corps BN-2 Islander (it's for HTAI model).

The file is : aac_bn2.zip
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Thanks for the font info Delboy, will have a look around.
TheFoufure wrote:On AVSIM, there is a file with repaints and flightplans for rmy Air Corps BN-2 Islander (it's for HTAI model).

The file is : aac_bn2.zip
Yes, that's the out of date one I'm replacing. :)

tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Irritating really. I remembered I had got these to 95% complete and then got caught up in studies/house moving etc. I still have them on my hard drive.

Are they still being operated? I haven't been able to find any recent info other than that they were being transferred to the RAF. Then again, their operation has always been rather hush hush.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

tango234 wrote: 23 May 2020, 15:09 Are they still being operated?
As far as im aware Britten-Norman is upgrading the former Army Air Corps Islander AL1/CC2s, which recently moved to RAF control and form part of the UK’s Intelligence, Surveillance Target Acquisition and Reconnaissance (ISTAR) fleet, i think they still fly out of Belfast Int/Aldergrove, one (ZG998) flew into Liverpool John Lennon on the 20th May 2020 still in Army scheme..

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Right, thanks very much Mark-that fits with all the images I've seen so far so I'll keep them in the army paint scheme.

Serial layouts now done. I suspect the smaller fittings/markings on the fuselage, especially on the defenders, will be beyond my ability, but I will at least try to make sure that the door layout is reasonable.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

I'm quite happy with how they've turned out. I had to compromise quite a bit on the defenders as the HTAI model doesn't have an extended version-only long or short nose (and of course none of the little bits poking out). As such the windows aren't placed exactly as they are in RL as the fuselage isn't long enough. I'm happy-ish with how the windows and doors have gone-the edges are a bit jagged in places but it isn't too noticeable unless you get up close.

Will pack them up with a representative flightplan and upload to the file library when I get the chance.
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Now available from the download section if anyone wants them.
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

tango234 wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 21:07 Now available from the download section if anyone wants them.
Downloaded and installed, thank you great work!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.