The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Sikorsky S-92 Helicopters

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Sikorsky S-92 Helicopters

Post by John Young »

Sadly, the RCAF lost one of it's CH-148 Cyclones a month ago in a crash with the loss of 6 crew. Now is not the time to be asking them about the disposition of the remaining aircraft.

On a much more minor note, I have changed the mapping to the tip of the nose of the generic model so that John T can paint stripes across it. I have updated the zips with the files but I'm going to hold on to them for a few days just in case John finds any additional need to re-map with this first paint. However, if anyone is eager to press ahead too, drop me a PM with an e-mail address and I send the files.

John
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by shaggy22 »

Firebird wrote: 31 May 2020, 04:54 Dan,
The only bit of info that I was able to glean was that 443 had responsibility for equipping the Pacific Fleet frigates and 423 had responsibility for equipping the Atlantic fleet. Presumably that means one of two helos each.

IF, and I can't say for certain that the plan was followed, then 9 would be at Victoria and 19 at Shearwater. All have been delivered.

I guess the biggest question is the breakdown at Shearwater. The obvious division may be skewed though. The RAF tend to have their OCU or training sqns with 1.5-2.0 times the numbers of operational sqns, except when small numbers of total aircraft are involved. It could be that 443 has a slightly higher number than 423 due to its single location.

My guess is that it is unlikely that the RCAF would answer our questions though. :lol: What I think it does mean is that it would be nice for the rest of the RCAF fleet to be painted at some point.

Whatever you decide to do will be welcomed.
Thanks the for that Steve. They certainly haven't made it easy for sure, what I'll do is base them as I've written them, unless I find evidence to the contrary, & if the remaining ones are repainted I'll park them up at Shearwater
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

Sounds like a plan, Dan.
Steve
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Thank you for another spectacular model John! outstanding as usual!

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

What a great screen shot Mark. Thanks for posting it.

John
lewis
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by lewis »

New kids on the block.
Attachments
Quantico .jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Well done Lewis. It's good to see people here involving themselves with the packages.

John
Joecoastie
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Joecoastie »

Below are flight plans for the four USMC VH-92s at MCAF Quantico.
I've followed some of the flights and they appear to work fine in P3Dv3. Not tested in FS9.
They fly Monday thru Friday to various places - Norfolk, Oceana, Andrews, New River, Cherry Point, Pax River, two Sikorsky plants (Gwinn and Stratford), and KCHO & KLKU for TNG.
Attachments
Traffic_KNYG_S92_FS9.bgl
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 76 times
Traffic_KNYG_S92_P33.bgl
(3.17 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Service to my Country 9/61 - 2/03
US Navy - HS-3, VX-1, HS-7 (USS Intrepid, USS Wasp, USS Yorktown)
Va National Guard - 229th Cbt Avn Co
US Coast Guard - E City CGAS, CGC Morro Bay, RTC Yorktown
NOAA - Co-op Observer 1983 - present
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Generic paint on the modified model.

A big thank you to John for indulging me this request.
Attachments
S-92_CYHZ.jpg
S-92_CYHZ_2.jpg
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That was useful John. It tested the paint kit and revealed the need to change the direction of the mapping across the tip of the nose so you could better paint those stripes.

Should there be a serial number on the helicopter?

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

John

I am not sure that the alignment is wrong.

Points on the model are mapped fractions to of a pixel up or down and left and right on the texture sheet.
The fact is, that as the texture get smaller, miniscule differences between left and right side become more prominent.
I have seen it on my own humble offerings and other paint kits.
The line across the nose merely joins them.

This image is of a DXT3 1024 texture, very close by. I think trying to get it closer would be a fruitless endeavour.

Unless the mapping gizmo was a fraction off, which is unlikely.

The paint is incomplete. Must get a Cougar logo and registration.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I drew the line on the test texture you sent me John and it was perfectly straight with the head on map and joined with the sides. Remember the nose tip is a tiny part of the model and there's a limit to how much definition you can get there. I made the area as big as possible on the texture sheet. You do need to use trial and error to get the right width of line and to line it up with the stripes either side. Rather than use a vector line, I just drew a narrow rectangle and then trimmed it several times to match the sides. It wasn't a problem, you just have to go through a few iterations to get it right.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

John

The difference between the two sides is due to the fact that the points on the vector shapes on the left and right are slightly different, forward and aft. The line on the left of the fuselage displays a fraction higher than the right. I can experiment to see if the result is better.

I had to manipulate the opacities of the lines across the nose to get them to display acceptably in DXT3.

The other thing to keep in mind is the slope on the surfaces results in a bit of stretching on the nose.

My selfish motivation for this request is a product of having tried to paint a line across the nose of the AW139 to get the CHC scheme on.

For me, this modification is a huge help to have the tip mapped front on.

Any more time spent on this modification would have diminishing returns from your time.

My humble view is that the model and paint-kit are good for release.

Once again many thanks.

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I haven't given you vector shapes in the .psd files John, they are all raster. The nose is not stretched by the texture, it's a constant value. The texture of the nose lines will stretch if mapped from above, that's why I made the head on map for you. The map on the right of the fuselage is a mirror of the left and is to the same scale.

You need to adjust the position of the paint by trial and error. There's no magic formula that will enable you to match the left and right hand side automatically, you have to nudge the paint into position visually. If the lines are drawn perfectly straight across the nose section without any anti aliasing applied they will render straight without the need to touch the opacity. Just move the side paints up and down as necessary to align them. I sent you a Gmax shot of the test lines I drew - they were straight and clear and aligned with the sides. I didn't do anything special, I just nudged the positioning.

At the end of the day, I built the texture sheet and did the mapping to make the 3 operational models and that worked fine. If the generic paint kit doesn't serve all subjects, then we just have to live with that I'm afraid.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

John

We are speaking past each other here.

I am very grateful for the modification to the model and paint-kit.

I am merely stating that the misalignment at was due to the vector shapes I made to get the curves on the paint scheme.

I prefer to use anti aliasing when I can. If the result is less than ideal then that is on me.

The reason I posted the images was to demonstrate that I thought the modifications to the model had had the desired outcome.
To be honest I had not noticed the misalignment until you pointed it out.

Given that the texture on the model in the image is 1024x1024 and DXT3 I think it is acceptable.

My apologies for creating the confusion.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

FS9 FP fro Joe didn't work for me. Here a working one.

Is anyone work on FP for HM Coast Guard pls?

Giorgio
Attachments
Traffic_KNYG_S92_FS9.bgl
(2.61 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

bismarck wrote: 02 Jun 2020, 18:12 FS9 FP fro Joe didn't work for me. Here a working one.

Is anyone work on FP for HM Coast Guard pls?

Giorgio
Already done them mate, they're up in the hangar
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I'm working on too many updates in these days... Thanks

Giorgio
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by Tranquil »

Irish Coast Guard

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

shaggy22 wrote: 30 May 2020, 22:23 Flightplans for HM Coastguard uploaded to the hangar, they're pretty basic on the whole. They fly from their bases to a waypoint & come back again, nothing special

FYI: In P3D v5 (and I think v4) The ICAO code for Newquay Cornwall Airport (EGDG) is EGHQ.