The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon

Post by Firebird »

So maybe we need to keep track of this. Lets start with paints.

UK - JY
Germany - ?
Italy - ?
Spain - ?
Austria -
Oman - ?
Saudi Arabia - ?
Kuwait - x (later this year)
Qatar - x (2022)

So who's up for some of this?
It should be said that if you only wanted to commit to a unit/base where the aircraft are the most numerous that would still fit in with JYs project model.
Steve
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

I can take austria but how about we assign shades of gray colors and source for it so that we don't make huge variations. I use https://www.e-paint.co.uk as a source for shades and ef-2000 shades for different air forces are pretty much available.
VIVA LA VIDA
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

please say they ar going to be for flight sim 2004
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 06:30 The Typhoon doesn't appear to use flaps for landing, but the flaperons/spoilerons do seem to deflect upwards after touch down to act like spoilers I think. I've animated that. The leading edge slats were also a puzzle to me for a while because they are not used as expected. They don't appear to be used for the take-off run, but do extend immediately a high alpha pitch up follows after rotation. I suspect that's software controlled. The same thing occurs in combat maneuvering I believe. The slats also don't appear to be used for landing. Because of all that, the AI engine can't really make use of the feature and users wouldn't really see the movement anyway, so I haven't modelled them.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Tim, thanks for your explanations. The added drag and engine power for a lightly loaded Typhoon using the air brake on the runway was not an obvious thought when I was trying to understand what I was seeing in the videos. It's a bit similar to the Red Arrows using their brakes to increase power to generate more smoke perhaps.

John
The use of flaps on the Typhoon is beyond my ken! I would be surprised if the wing needs extra lift generation at slow speed (trailing edge flaps produce an increase of CL through increased camber), and flaps would tend to exacerbate the tendency of a delta wing to flow separation at low speed, so I suspect their main function is actually body-angle control, and thus they will be continually variable during the approach. The leading-edge slats are a device to increase the maximum usable angle of attack, and will also be automatic in operation. The Typhoon has a fairly low V rotate (and threshold Vref), and the delta platform means it rapidly achieves a very high alpha as it rotates on take off. Any kind of 'energetic' manoeuvring at that kind of speed will result in slat deployment, but they won't be pre-deployed as they are on an airliner or a more conventional fighter. As you suggest, the same logic will be used in combat manoeuvring, but is unnecessary in the relatively steady-state configuration of the approach. Indeed, if the approach speed was so low as to require slat deployment, the body angle would be so high that the aircraft would probably tail-scrape on touchdown!

The other situations the slats would deploy in relate to the automatic manoeuvre recovery algorithms the Typhoon possesses, but those are beyond the AI engine!
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thank you Giorgio, I was hoping you would pick up the Italians. Don't worry about the paint's I can do those for you once you have the information and I've made the models. You could then carry on if you wanted to to set up the aircraft, at least in FS9.

Miljan, thanks also to you too. Austria uses the Tranche 1 F2 Typhoon and that will need a modification to the base models to remove the PIRATE sensor in front of and to the left of the cockpit. I don't think there's any air to ground capability, so that makes things much easier. I did read (last reference 2018) that Austria was to replace their Typhoons in 2020, but I don't know what the current intent is. If you could tell me what I need to load the aircraft with that would be very helpful, as would the RGB values for grey paint on Typhoons by country.

Tim, as always, thanks for your explanation of the forward edge slats. It's not just the modelling that interests me, it's also learning fascinating things about the subject - that air brakes can be used to increase the speed of an aircraft when needed, for example, as you described.

Ado4567, yes for FS9, FSX and P3D.

This morning I had another visual look at the models and closed a couple of cracks, welded the common texture vertices and attached some parts together to reduce draw calls. That's all in preparation for making the LODs and from them, the FSX/P3D base models.

John
DaleRFU
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: MSFS

Post by DaleRFU »

The Typhoon doesn't have flaps, they use slat on the leading edge.

The airbrake on the aircraft is rarely used due to effects on the fin. The chute is only used in an emergency situation or as a currency thing.

With regards to loadout, single and twin tank configs are the most common, note that if they are single take fit they don't often have pylons fitted (except for the very outboard ones).

As for A/G loadouts:
1) 4x GBUs with twin tank and an LDP is common
2) 2x GBU inboard, x2 Brimstone second outboard along with two tank fit and LDP is also common now.
3) 2x stormshadow would be interesting since this is a new loadout now, these are fitted where the wing external tanks would go. Either an LDP or centreline tank would probably be used depending on the Sortie.
4) perhaps a dumb bomb option since some of the exported jets to Kuwait and Qatar will have that capability even thought the RAF ones don't use them anymore.
Please visit my YouTube channel @ https://www.youtube.com/user/daledelboy
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Dale, that's very much as I was thinking for the RAF air to ground load-out options.

Would you like to do anything with the Saudi models when I have them? Either way, I'll need the load-out options for those aircraft. Can you suggest anything please?
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

flight plans has well
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

is they Lossiemouth ones has well
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2017/ ... r.html?m=1

Here I found some useful infos regarding colors.
As for Austrians , count on one armed as QRA and one pylons only model( and pylons only for AA missile close to the end ) . That will do the trick.
VIVA LA VIDA
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by MIKE JG »

Atta boy John! Well done!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

i can do the GAF or SpAF or both, let me know, i done them for the NBAI
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

miljan wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 15:42 http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/2017/ ... r.html?m=1

Here I found some useful infos regarding colors.
As for Austrians , count on one armed as QRA and one pylons only model( and pylons only for AA missile close to the end ) . That will do the trick.
What I found with the Austrian birds is that there is no GA capability at all and neither is there any BVR capability due to them having no BVR missiles rather than different systems. They use the IRIS-T, along with the Germans, Italians, Spanish and Saudis. This leaves the UK, Kuwait, Oman and Qatar carrying other IR missiles.
Steve
geoffj
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by geoffj »

John,

Having trouble with my PMs so pictures attached here

Geoff
Attachments
ZK360.jpg
AZOTIZE.jpg
Tranquil
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Tranquil »

Also 12 Squadron ZK369 has a new badge on the tail, Joint UK,Qatar training pilots.

Much thanks

Mark
Image Image
The spice extends life. The spice expands consciousness. The spice is vital to space travel.
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

how long unit they are on
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

ado4567, yes, "flight plans has well" and yes "they is Lossiemouth ones has well. I need to find out what scenery people are using for Lossie though - FS9, FSX and P3D, so that I can set them up once I have the RAF aircraft painted. Sorry, but I can't decipher "how long unit they are on" I'm afraid. Is that feet, metres or years and why is that important?

Miljan those paint references are really good, thank you.

Ray, thanks for your kind offer. Once I have the German and Spanish models I'll send them to you and you can paint as much as you would like.

Geoff and Mark, thanks for the photos. At last a little bit of colour.

Steve, thanks for the IRIS-T info. That's fine since I already have the models from the Tornado.

Mike, I've never had an Atta Boy before, so I'm honoured to get one from you. Thank you.

John
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

I don't have any Lossiemouth scenery I need to find some
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

John Young wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 15:11 Tim, as always, thanks for your explanation of the forward edge slats. It's not just the modelling that interests me, it's also learning fascinating things about the subject - that air brakes can be used to increase the speed of an aircraft when needed, for example, as you described.

John, to be accurate the use of air brake doesn’t increase the speed. It increases the drag so that more power is required to maintain the same speed. This means that the engines are working in a more responsive part of their range, and that, if a go round is required, simply retracting the brake and slightly increasing the power will achieve the acceleration needed. That appears to be SOP for the F-15, but not necessary for the Typhoon (the higher form drag from the delta planform probably explains that).

DaleRFU’s comments make sense to me - I had a feeling there were no flaps as such, but that the trailing edge surfaces would be used for body-angle control on the approach. The fin stress caused by the disrupted airflow from the airbrake reminds me of several other aircraft for which airbrake use has some undesirable and unintended effects! Of course, the F-15’s twin fins negate that issue.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

ado4567 wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 21:50 I don't have any Lossiemouth scenery I need to find some
There’s a pretty decent UKMil Lossiemouth out there. It’ll be on The Gaffer’s site if nowhere else.