The download hangar is currently disabled. We're doing our best to bring it back as soon as possible.

A brand new MS Flight Simulator is coming...

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: A brand new MS Flight Simulator is coming...

Post by Firebird »

If there is stuff missing from the initial release it will be interesting to see if all upgrades are free, taking into account the pricing of the 3 versions. If it is life time free upgrades with specifics mentioned to come, then I would be hard-pressed to be angry about that.
I was disappointed to see no Mil planes included at all for any version - initially.
Steve
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Firebird wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 21:33 I was disappointed to see no Mil planes included at all for any version - initially.
Thats what we are here for, isn't it? ;)
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by TimC340 »

Firebird wrote: 13 Jul 2020, 21:33 If there is stuff missing from the initial release it will be interesting to see if all upgrades are free, taking into account the pricing of the 3 versions. If it is life time free upgrades with specifics mentioned to come, then I would be hard-pressed to be angry about that.
I was disappointed to see no Mil planes included at all for any version - initially.
Those on GamePass will obviously get all updates automatically and without (extra) charge, as that's the way GamePass works. I assume that things like the SDK and features that are identified as 'missing' will be updated for free on the outright sales, but - like P3D - I would expect version updates to be at a cost.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Assuming the SDK does allow for the design of add-ons, like AI aircraft, is it likely that GamePass and boxed users can equally make use of them? Does the GamePass option (I've never used it for anything), create a full local installation, just like the box set, so users can set up add-ons in the same way?

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I will admit that I was surprised that the SDK will not be initially released as I thought I read somewhere that the SDK would be part of the beta.
If quite a bit is missing from the IOC version then it seems to make sense to release it when everything is ready. Otherwise you either have to update the SDK as well, or have users moaning about stuff that is not ready yet that is included in the SDK.

I am aware that from what I have seen that all airfields will be automatically included. Some will be specially built from the ground up. I wonder about the criteria foe these airfields. My reasoning here is that only one UK airfield is built and that is Heathrow but you have to buy the gold-plated version to get that. I realise that Gatwick, an obvious second airport (although Manchester would probably quibble about that), could be part of the upgrade to FOC but to have to pay the most to get them seems a bit much.

Finally, I will agree with John. I do hope that they will not go down the route that only the gold-plated versions get the SDK, as they have done before.

Maybe I am thinking too deeply about this and I should just sit back, wait and enjoy.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Yes, that’s my plan! Especially as P3Dv5 is no closer to being fixed for AMD-based computers. I’ve not used GamePass, but as it’s a subscription service I assume that at least some part of the software is not downloaded but must be accessed online, even if it’s simply an access key. Whether the GamePass version will eventually get access to the SDK is an interesting question; I had imagined that - like P3D - the SDK would be a separate download which may not even require a licence for the game to be able to use.

I’ll definitely add it to my arsenal of flight sims, and hope that updates and the SDK follow on quickly. I had an email from Orbx this morning confirming that they will have some addons (unspecified) Available at launch, so we know at least some people have the SDK!
Weescotty
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Weescotty »

Do we know if the P3D stuff we are doing works in the new one?
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

No, but there have been hints that some backward compatibility may be available in some mode(s) of operation. Exactly what, I don't think anyone outside of a NDA has any idea.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Here's the official launch video. Nothing new, but in QHD the graphics are seriously amazing.

Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Weescotty wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 14:59 Do we know if the P3D stuff we are doing works in the new one?
I am looking at this from a very narrow view in this moment. If models that are good in P3D are good in MS2020, still to be confirmed, my main thoughts are on the fde.
We have all seen the videos about the new flight engine but we don't know anything about the AI engine. IF the AI engine is a cut down version of the flight dynamics engine - as was per previous sims - then we could have a situation where the models will be fine but all of the fdes will need to be rewritten.

This is only stuff that the SDK and possibly an AI specific Feature Discovery Series video can tell us.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The FDE for FS20 is hugely more complex and dynamic than that for FSX/P3D, from various MS and commentator videos over the last few months. I'm not into aircraft design, but I would hope that the SDK includes some kind of GUI for aircraft development that allows the import and adaptation of FSX/P3D aircraft FDEs. I would be very surprised if an FDE from FSX/P3D would be portable without significant modification before it could be used in FS20. However, the Beta stream of FSX:SE may well have paved the way for at least some streamlining of the process.
Greg
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: MSFS

Post by Greg »

Firebird wrote: 14 Jul 2020, 10:53 I will admit that I was surprised that the SDK will not be initially released as I thought I read somewhere that the SDK would be part of the beta.
I don't know where that info came from either. Nowhere have I seen that the SDK wouldn't be part of the initial release except in Tim's post further up. :smt102
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

I guess that it all means that at the moment we still have more questions than answers. Looking forward to more info.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I got that info from over on FSDeveloper, Dick (Rhumbaflappy) is the one who suggested the SDK would not be in the initial release - along with AI, seasons, VR etc. I was previously under the impression that the SDK would be in the initial release, but I don't have any insider knowledge and I'm assuming he does. That may be mistaken, of course.

Going back over the thread there, there is definitely MS-derived information that suggests we may be able to use some of the addons developed for FSX, and possibly improve them to use more of the capability that FS20 offers. However, I read that as a 'nice to have'. It does also sound like the SDK will offer us a more intuitive way of writing stuff for the sim, without so much need for archaic computer languages!

Anyway, I've pre-ordered, for better or worse, and we'll see what turns up.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

A report on Neowin this morning has that the new FS will be released by Aerosoft, with MS approval, on a 10 dual-layered DVD disc set. The total data involved will be 90GB so order your new HD now if you are short on space.

So if you were planning to get the download from MS be very prepared/afraid of the download time involved.

Apparently you will get a printed manual included. Cost will be 'close' to the price you will pay MS. Doesn't which version(s) will be available in this format.
Steve
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

I suspect the boxed product will be the same whichever licence you buy, and the licence will dictate what features you have access to. A 90Gb download doesn’t phase me - should take about 10-15 minutes max (bear in mind that even a small download off Avsim can take hours at their 50kbs limit!).

There’s further confirmation from NDA signees at FSDev that the SDK will not be in the initial release, and that they were somewhat taken by surprise by the release date and therefore we shouldn’t expect third-party content at launch. Apparently, something over 150 third-party developers have the current SDK, which is not yet complete (hence the delayed release).
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

It is being reported that the boxed set is being made available to make for a faster installation. Exactly why that should be the case would be pure speculation on my part.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The pricing of the boxed sets in the UK looks like:

Standard: £59.99 (20 planes and 30 international airports)

Deluxe: £79.99 (same as Standard but with 5 additional aircraft and 5 additional international airports)

Premium Deluxe: £109.99 (same as Standard but with 10 additional aircraft and 10 additional international airports)

Something not quite right there. The cost of 5 additional aircraft and 5 airports is £20 in the deluxe box, but the additional 5 of each in the Premium Deluxe is £30.

I'm not sure I need to spend an additional £50 over the standard version to get 10 additional aircraft and 10 airports. However, If the SDK is included and I'm still in the dark about that, will it be only in the Premium Deluxe version as MS have done previously I wonder?

What are people here opting for please and where can it be pre-ordered - I can't see it on Amazon yet?

John
buzzbee1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by buzzbee1973 »

Hi John,

I wil buy the premium delux version. My last Fight Silmulator was FSX.

Youn can pre-order it at https://www.aerosoft.com/en
Regards

Marcus
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

John, like you I want to see the final info and ins and outs of what you are entitled to after release.

I am leaning towards the Premium Deluxe version it is a lot of money but £40 for 16 years of play for FS9 does not work out badly.
At the moment it holds nothing for me. No mil aircraft, no AI, no SDk info.

I need more than a random promise of what is intended to be included and released. I need Mil aircraft, even trainers to fly. I am hopefully that the fact that no AI is included means that there is as radical an overhaul as the the rest of the flight dynamics has.

For me personally, I need the info and time scales involved. I accept that MS are doing what they are for business reasons and in the current climate I can't really have a go at them. I personally would rather that they waited for it all to be finished.

Fortunately for them, they don't ask for my opinion.
Steve