The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: FS9

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon

Post by bismarck »

Good job Miljan!
Today I’m in San Mauro Mare on the Adriatic coast for few days at see. Five minutes after my arrive at the beach, a Typhoon was approaching Cervia at low speed and low level😎😎😎
Such a good welcome!!! Later, also a H-500 and a JYAI-AW-139 (may be, not a JY...)😂😂😂
Giorgio
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: P3D

Post by miljan »

Amazing shots John, it was a pleasure working with this model indeed. It is good to hear that scenery works as well .

@Giorgio
Thank you
VIVA LA VIDA
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

That is one of those things that is difficult to test for. Glad it was OK.

Nice pics.
Steve
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

In this article the 4th Wing Typhoon wears a new badge but I don't know if it's a new standard because is the only photo I've found
https://theaviationist.com/2020/07/14/i ... -slovenia/
- Maurizio C.
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

That’s the badge celebrating 50.000 hours for the wing or squadron. Giorgio
GuentAir
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by GuentAir »

Perfect!!!

Thanx Miljan, and greetings from LOXZ/LOGT
Guenter Reisner

TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

bismarck wrote: 09 Jul 2020, 09:45 Time to ask on the public forum.
After you guys will answer the question abouth the movie ... 17 shades of gray ... :roll:
(in the end, having looked at hundreds of photos, I think that the Average is the closest)

I have another question for you about sceneries.
ITAF Typhoon are based at five airports:
Gioia del Colle (LIBV) Done by me and available in both FS9 and FSX version
Trapani-Birgi (LICT) Done by James84 and my AFD. Available in both FS9 and FSX version
Pratica di Mare (LIRE) Done by John Stinstrom with some objects by Tim and my AFD, also available for FS9 and FSX.
John converted these for the AW-139 project.
Istrana (LIPS) Made by me. It uses the usual standard MAIW Libs. It won't be difficult to transform it for FSX as done for LIBV and LICT.
Someone want to do it?
Grosseto (LIRS) Done by John Stinstrom with my AFD. Have someone already transformed it for FSX or want to do it?

Regards, Giorgio
Giorgio, I've been having a look at converting LIRS. Screenshots below. I'm using the exercise to learn more about MCX, which is evolving quickly just now. I'm having some trouble with the tree textures - you can see on some of the shots that there are some that are misaligned, and some that stubbornly stay as winter textures even though seasons are enabled in MCX. I have updated the taxiway designators to the current plan, realigned some parking to reflect what is seen on Google Earth, added a small number of buildings from the MAIW library, and constructed a new airfield background. These shots are from FSX:SE.

The Eurofighters are Nick Black's. The addons in use are Orbx Global and Rex 5 Airports HD.

John, if you still need someone to take on converting the GAF Flight Plans, I'm happy to have a go.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Tim, the scenery looks really nice, despite the problems you are having.

On the subject of seasonal tree textures, I'm asking the same question of Pete with regard to Zeltweg, Austria. Unless MCX now has a way to set up the switching, we previously needed SODE to do that if I remember rightly.

If you would like to have a go at the German Typhoon flight plans that would be really helpful. I'll put a package together for you featuring all the German Typhoons for FS9 and FSX/P3D and the 5 airbases, again for the 3 sim versions. If it's possible to produce the FS9 plans first and then do a quick conversion to FSX format that would be ideal. If you can convert the other way easily then that's not a problem.

John
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

Without wanting to damage this thread, John - do you know if there is an option for changing the seasonal ground polys via MCX as well?
I am currently working hard on it at RAF Brüggen but have no possible idea so far...Only way should be SODE as mentioned above, but SODE only uses mdl files instead of BGLs which are strongly used by compiling MCX ground polygon wizard....
Regards, Manfred.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I don't know what MCX can do with seasonal switching Manfred, but I personally would steer clear of SODE. Developers may get to grips with it, but asking users to install and use it is a complication that often generates support questions.

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

The current developer edition of MCX has a seasonal option (true/false) for textures in the materials editor, but I haven't yet worked out how it's used. I assume that - when you get it right - it will attach your textures to the model with a conditional variable based on MSFS seasons. But how you do that, I haven't worked out! I might just go and ask Arno over at FSDev. As for the misaligned textures, I'm going to have to play with that. I'd be quite happy with a single season if I can get all of the trees in the same one!

John, yes, no problem. Throw them over and I'll get on the FS9 ones first. I assume you've got the IAF ones covered? I only ask as I have the traffic file that goes along with Georgio's scenery, and I'm happy to adapt that too (as you can see, I've already converted it to FSX).
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Tim. It will take me a little while to assemble the package because of the number of aircraft x 2. Probably best done early tomorrow morning.

I think Giorgio will do the Italian flight plans, as soon as I can get the paints to him. I have 55 of the Typhoons painted and tested, FS9 and FSX, with another 37 or so x 2 to go. All the more complex special paints are done though.

John
bismarck
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by bismarck »

FS9 FP ready for ITAF. I’m on holiday but I have my laptop with me. As soon as I can, I’ll upload it to the FTP.
Giorgio
Manschy
Major
Major

Post by Manschy »

John Young wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 16:34 ...but I personally would steer clear of SODE. Developers may get to grips with it, but asking users to install and use it is a complication that often generates support questions.

John
Thank you, John. That's my current dilemma, but will talk about on another occasion. Sorry for off-topic....
Regards, Manfred.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

lets get this back on track, is anyone doing the Saudi,Kuwait,Oman,Qatar typhoons ?
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

At this moment in time the Qatar and Kuwait ones have not been delivered so you can leave them for later.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Ray, I don't know if the models we already have will serve for each of those countries, or whether I need to create more variants. We also need scenery for 3 sims versions and someone to do the flight plans. Big jobs, especially the Saudi's.

Do you want to have a scout round and see what we need?

John
maverick69
Major
Major

Post by maverick69 »

bismarck wrote: 17 Jul 2020, 07:21 That’s the badge celebrating 50.000 hours for the wing or squadron. Giorgio
Thank you Giorgio :D
- Maurizio C.
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

been looking into the Saudi serials and layouts, so far as layouts for the models we can use these.

Pirate_Standard
Pirate_no_weaps
EF2000_Clean_Airbrake
EF2000_2seat_3_Tanks

i have all of these, want me to put a sample together John ?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Ray, I was just a little concerned with how much work we are generating before the Saudi and any other Middle East packages can come together - scenery and flight plans in particular, as well as 72 Saudi paints x 2. I wasn't sure about demand too. The FS9 downloads for the JYAI Saudi Tornado package has reached only 423, although the FSX/P3D version has reached a better 909. That's in the 7 months since release.

That said, I've been really pleased with the way people here have joined in to help out and if that effort can continue we can crack the whole lot. So by all means put some Saudi samples together. It would be good to see the Saudi 2-tone grey on the Typhoon.

I think the Saudi 2 seaters also have PIRATE, so you might want to use the Italian models for those too. Perhaps do the FSX/P3D samples first, so you can see what you are painting, if that helps.

John