The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Going to the Air Force

Discuss anything here...nothing political or controversial please.
jetrange
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Going to the Air Force

Post by jetrange »

I just want to make an announcement.

I want to tell this great flight sim community that I have enlisted in the US Air Force. I swore in a few months ago and I plan to ship out in late June. My job is to be determined. I know that you enjoy the projects that I have done and I'm pretty happy about that. I still have many more down the line and I hope to get them sent as soon as I can. Another thing; I'm not going to leave here for good, just inactive until late August. Hopefully I can try and come back one I finish BMT. I'm looking forward to what my future holds.

jetrange.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Going to the Air Force

Post by Victory103 »

Congrats on making the decision that only a very small percentage can/do. USAF brat, then enlisted in the USN ending up Army retired. When asked by parents or those in your shoes, I suggest the USAF first based on quality of life, they treat their people good. My father and step-mother both retired out of the AF happy (C-130 mx). I don't want to ruin AF BMT for you, just stay positive. I'm surprised you don't have a job assignment, a few AF buds seemed to back in the day. At the time I went to the USN under the delayed enlistment program, I had a contract for "x" schools and rank (if I passed the schools). Maybe you'll get Nellis out of tech school. Keep us posted.

I guess the great JYAI C-130 repaints are on hold until then? I'm back at looking over the paint kit with DXTbmp and Paint.net w/ a .psd plug in. I think I have the concept down to properly save the files.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

I hope that you enjoy your time and end up looking back on it with fondness, as I do with my time in the RAF.
Steve
MIKE JG
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer
Version: MSFS

Post by MIKE JG »

Congrats and thank you for choosing to serve!
-Mike G.

Recovering flight sim addict, constant lurker.

Check out my real life RV-8 build here: RV-8 Builder Log
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Good luck!
Jon
Major
Major

Post by Jon »

Congratulations, so San Antonio or Keesler? Either way gonna be a warm 8 weeks. 4 years at Lackland AFB at what is now know as 25th Air Force. Good luck.
"To Err is Human, To Forgive is Divine. Neither of Which is SAC Policy."
AIG Beta Tester, General Aviation painter
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

So first and foremost; thank you all very much for the support. I just want to clear up some things that people are wondering. So I don't have a booked ship out yet as I yet to get my first job contract. They're currently having delays because of the COVID shenanigans. For what jobs I'm wanting; I am going for either Aircraft Maintenance, or any of the computer/cyber fields that are on demand. And as for the paints; I still have a bunch that are ready and I still have time to do more. I finished the Barbers Point 130s, and the West Virginia Guard birds are close to being completed. So as of right now, I'm still going to be pretty active here.
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Good Afternoon Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've chatted on this for so I'll catch all of you up of what's been happening. So first and foremost: I finally have a job in the Air Force booked for me. The job is Bomber/Special Electronic Warfare/Radar maintenance. I'm scheduled to ship out to Lackland on Aug 4th. And now for some bad news. Unfortunately, my computer was partly corrupted after acting up for several days, and needed to be restarted. So that means almost everything that I worked on for the sim is lost. But most of what I made is available here. The biggest thing I didn't release that I lost were the Malaysian C-130s so I guess someone else needs to cover those. For those asking: Am I still going to create paints? My Answer: Not really, because with a ship out date and a new flight sim coming, there isn't much of a point to get started on painting again. And I've also ran out of ideas on what I want to paint. That's pretty much it for me. I apologize that I'm not able to do much here at the moment, but that doesn't mean I'll be out of the hobby for good.
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Priorities man, so much training ahead of you. I had hoped to help on the C-130 paints during the down time, but now my flying has picked up some. I thank you for the work you did and it was motivation for me to start work on the Clovis AFSOC and Little Rock Hercs.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
jetrange
Captain
Captain

Post by jetrange »

Hi Everybody,
I’m back here after being dark for almost 8 weeks. So first off, I made it though my 7 weeks of BMT at Lackland and I’m now officially an Airman in the US Air Force. After graduation last week, I flew on a chartered 737 from Kelly Field to my Tech School at Sheppard AFB. I’m now getting settled in and preparing for my classes in Avionics Fundamentals. The aircraft I’m assigned to: The B-1 Lancer, which should be pretty awesome. I don’t have anything with me to do any sim stuff at the moment, but it’s nice to come back and catching up to what everyone’s been up to.
buzzbee1973
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FS9

Post by buzzbee1973 »

Congratulations!!

The B-1 is an awesome plane.
I only had once the privilege to get into one at Nellis AFB.
Regards

Marcus
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Congrats on BMT, that's step one! The B-1 sounds like it will be a challenging airframe based on current mx rates, which have improved, but it's still a complex bird. Guess you have a 50/50 on your final base assignment, TX or SD.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
Ripcord
Captain
Captain

Post by Ripcord »

Just saw this. Congrats and respect. Sounds like a cool assignment.

If you should decide to get out and go to college, you will have the advantages of maturity, focus, and a real idea of what you want to do - all on top of the funding you get for tuition, etc.

40 years from now, you will find that you really miss all these chuckleheads you are serving with today. Enjoy the ride while you are still on it.
Jorgen
Captain
Captain

Post by Jorgen »

Like Ripcord, I only just stumbled on this thread. Nice to see that there are still young people that have the right stuff.

Good luck -

Jorgen
flyboy
Major
Major
Version: MSFS

Post by flyboy »

Congratulation on your choice to join. I retired out in 1996 and miss it real bad. I hope you have a great career.
Lead, Follow, or get the Hell out of the way!