The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Spanish AFB V6 from FS9 to FSX

Let's hear all about the eye candy at those military bases.
EIJL
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Spanish AFB V6 from FS9 to FSX

Post by EIJL »

Dear Friends,

Tim Mayhew years ago made 3 very good scenerys form 3 major Spanish bases, Moron AFB (LEMO), Rota NAS (LERT) and Getafe AFB (LEGT).

This package was made for FS9.

Could anyone try to convert this sceneryis from FS9 to FSX format?.

I'll try to offer all the help that i can do, but i don´t have any idea of to convert scenarys from one to the other version.

Thanks a lot.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Re: Spanish AFB V6 from FS9 to FSX

Post by John Young »

Sorry no. The bases are copyright to Tim and we have no permission to convert them. Moron was one of two Spanish bases featured in the Typhoon packages and we did attempt to contact him during the design process so that we could modify the scenery to accommodate the aircraft, but without success.

If you want to attempt it for your own use, then you could try converting the libraries with Modelconverter X.

John
EIJL
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by EIJL »

Dear Jhon.

I collaborated with TIm in the creation of these scenarios, especially Moron's, he was in charge of the visual part, meanwhile i collaborated in the creation of the AFCAD and in the collection of the information, especially visual, to carry out the scenarios.

I will try to contact Tim again, since other scenarios of his have been converted to FSX by the brilliant team of MAIW.

Thank you very much for all.
EIJL
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by EIJL »

Dear Jhon:

I want to inform you that I have express authorization by email, from our dear friend Timothy Mayhew, to convert to FSX the scenarios within the SpanishAFBV6 package.

Best regards.
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Post by Firebird »

If you could forward the email on to John please.

Please don't take this the wrong way, especially, if you hand a hand in the scenery, but we need to see it in an email to ensure that we are doing things correctly.
Steve
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

We have just corresponded by PM Steve. I have asked if I could include the converted LEMO in my Typhoon update package.

Brian, yes, the Omani package will include FS9.

John
EIJL
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by EIJL »

Good evening all.

Imade some minor changes over SpanishAfbV6 package from Tim Maythew, and y found that 3 scenerys, Moron (LEMO) and getafe (LEGT) works well with minor failures, Rota (LERT) works well but loose de heliport.

Best regards to all.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

That's good news.

Have you also added anti-pushback nodes for use in FSX/P3D? They would be very useful for the Typhoons departing from the Moron shelters.

The other problem I have is that Tim's readme doesn't list the libraries used. He just says: "You will need the MAIW libraries for some of the extra eye candy". The MAIW Global Static objects libraries will provide some of those, but I'm probably missing a few. Could you possibly provide a list of the libraries used please?

John
EIJL
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by EIJL »

Dear Jhon.

I have no idea how scenarios are built in FSX.

My intervention was only in relation to the visual part, photos, images and others, and later in the tests to check that my old FS9 accepted the scenario.

Regarding the libraries I wouldn't know what to tell you, but I'll try to contact Tim to see if he remembers which libraries he used in his time.

I'm really sorry, I'd like to help you more than I can, but my knowledge is not up to your level.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I think I might be missing something. You said (6 posts above):

"I want to inform you that I have express authorization by email, from our dear friend Timothy Mayhew, to convert to FSX the scenarios within the SpanishAFBV6 package".

In your latest post you say:

"I have no ideas how scenarios are built in FSX".

If your intervention is only in relation to the "visual part, photos, images and others", how will you achieve the conversion? I'm not sure how checking in FS9 fits.

I think what you need to do is make a list of what needs to be changed to make the scenery compatible with FSX. We can then point you in the right direction to make those changes if you need help.

You will definitely need to know which libraries are used otherwise you will never know if the scenery you are viewing is complete.

John
EIJL
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by EIJL »

First of all I would like to apologize for my English level, it might be confusing.

Originally I only supported Tim by providing him with images of the real scenarios, and as a betatetester of his scenarios in FS9.

I'm sorry to say that I don't know how the scenarios are built internally.

The only changes I've made is converting the AFCAD files in AF2 format to AFX format through the ADE tool, so it's possible that some library is lost in the conversion and therefore the scenario doesn't look complete.

I'm very sorry I can't give you any more help.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

It doesn't look like you will do any damage if you compile the AFCADs because Tim I think split the objects out into separate .bgls. In any case, the FS9 AFCADs work fine in FSX so there' s little need to convert them, apart from adding anti-pushback nodes.

The problem I have is that I don't know what libraries Tim used and therefore I don't know if what I am looking at is complete or not with the general collection of libraries I've built up over time. I suspect you have the same problem and are missing some libraries.

If you are able to contact Tim, then getting a list of the libraries used would be useful.

John
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Hi John

I've been playing around with LEMO for P3D v4 and have the shelters showing on the ASP, as you said in the readme they are not displaying for you. What you need to do is drag the lemo_1.bgl(This contains all the custom models for Moron) into Model Converter X and export it as a P3d bgl. Then import the resulting bgl into ADE Library Object Manager. Open Tim's AFCAD and import all the LEMO bgl files including the newly created lemo_1.bgl. Compile the airport(airbase) and delete all the files in the scenery folder except lemo_1.bgl, replacing them with the newly created LEMO ADEP4 file. My folder now has 4 files (LEMO_ADEP4_KRB.bgl,lemo_1.bgl and your two waypoint files. The texture folder requires all the LEMO bmp files plus TM_Control_Tower_Mods,TM_Earth,TM_LERT_1,TM_LERT_2,TM_Spain_Extras,TM_Spanish_Cream and TM_Spanish_White.

I've also changed all the parking codes from 111F,112F,113F to A11 as I believe these are the individual squadron components of 11 Wing(Ala 11). I have all the MAIW P3D libraries installed so am assuming they are all that's needed

The scenery looks pretty complete, but I have a few misplaced marker boards on taxiways and the runway which, if I can't move I'll have to exclude. I am by no means anywhere near your level with scenery, but I've been converting some FSX civvy airports recently following a guide on FS Developer with pretty decent results and some of the same principles apply here.

Next, onto the anti-pushback nodes!!! Wish me luck and thanks again for all you do in your time for our hobby!! This package is surely now the pinnacle!!!
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

These are the libraries I've identified so far:

GGSE_FSX.BGL
JGSE_FSX.BGL
MAIW_ABO_P3D.BGL
maiw_aircraft_shelter_library_FSX.BGL
MAIW_Cargo_FSX.BGL
maiw_fence_objects_library_P3D.BGL
MTtrees2_FSX.BGL
raf_gse_1980s_FSX.BGL
and of course, the included library which I've converted myself: lemo_1.bgl

I've scoured my existing FS9 installation for the missing items guids to no avail :-(

Looking at Google Maps, the missing objects appear to be runway arrestor cables, a lot of palm trees/trees and couple of other buildings/aerials. I've made(what I think) is quite a decent ground poly with excludes for the default poly. There's a lot of misplaced items which I'm stripping out or realigning(fences, edge lights.....) and I've managed to remove the default taxi signs. The learning continues....

John, if you'd like a look at my project so far and utilise anything for your update - let me know and I'll get it to you.

Kev
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Kev,

We need permission from the original author, Tim Mayhew, to modify the scenery and include it in an upload. I don't have that, do you please?

John
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Sadly no John - I've obviously misunderstood some of the conversation as I thought you'd received permission; so I'll keep going for personal use only. It's a good learning experience!!!
EIJL
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by EIJL »

Sorry Jhonn, we have permission from the original author, Tim Mayhew, to modify the scenery and include it in an upload.

This permission was sent by mail from Tim to me, and i resent you in a personal message some days ago.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Who is "we" - is that you, me, Kev, anyone?

Was Tim able to provide you with the full list of libraries used?

John
timbob1
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by timbob1 »

Hello all, you have my express permission to do whatever you need to my MAIW and other sceneries, (whilst in MAIW of course). I made these quite a few years ago and can't remember what other libraries i used, most was my own apart from trees and some vehicles, posssibly runway12 libs? and gerrish grey tree libs. That goes for anyone in MAIW, you can use, modify ,change any of my sceneries for any MAIW package. I have built up quite a list of airfield items, maybe I should gather them into several large libraries for general use.
Kind Regards
Tim
Regards
Tim

Scenery Designer
Dinga69
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Post by Dinga69 »

Thanks Tim - Much appreciated. I'll give my files a little look over and let John look at them first, I'm sure there's improvements to make as I'm learning my way around ADE.