The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Eurofighter Typhoon

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Re: Eurofighter Typhoon

Post by Joseph29 »

Just wanted to let you know I found a small error with the Oman Typhoons. Aircraft 214 uses the 211 textures. The cfg entry for aircraft 214 says texture=211.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks for that one. I'll add it to the update zip.

John
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel
Version: FS9

Post by TheFoufure »

petebramley wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 11:25
TheFoufure wrote: 06 Oct 2020, 09:15
John Young wrote: 03 Oct 2020, 08:05 Image

John
Hello,

Can someone tell me in wich version (or anywhere else) we can find this building (shelter) ? Not present in the FS9.

I don't find any library file in any version...

I used the FSX version of this file "MAIW_LOXZ_scenery_object_library_FSX.bgl" found in MATRIX.

If you look at the MAIW Austrian Airbases the equivalent FS9 file should be in there.
Thanks a lot for this answer.

Is it the only building (object) you add to this scenery ?
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Rusty1, sorry I missed your response to my question about the paint kit.

I did say earlier that I would paint the black Typhoon(s) but wanted to hold off for a short while to see if any more emerge and to add the paint to the update zip I'm assembling.

John
lucame
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant
Version: FSX

Post by lucame »

Hi Everybody,

first of all a big Thankyou to John and his team for those wonderful packages!
Now I have small problems with the Albacete scenery: I cannot see the shelters so my Typhoons are all "open air" and two of them are parked on the grass...
The MAIW library should be OK and I've tried with another scenery from MAIW but without luck ( elevation issues and just pieces of runway...).

Does anybody know how to fix it (FSX, Window 7)?

Thanks lucame
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

The libraries used in Albacete are from the MAIW Spanish Mirage F1 package. I thought they were covered by the MAIW Global Objects libraries, but I fear the shelters are not. The original package with the libraries is here:

https://militaryaiworks.com/download-ha ... -mirage-f1

John
lucame
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Post by lucame »

Thank you John, now everything is fine .

:smt038
ado4567
Captain
Captain

Post by ado4567 »

I have a problem with it two the runaway is not there just grass
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Is that in FS9 or FSX and can you confirm the name of the AFCAD file in the LEAB active scenery folder please?

John
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I have just sent the Typhoon update pack for inclusion in the Hangar. The pack contains the cumulative corrections or omissions to date (already posted in this thread) plus the new RAF Aggressor black paint scheme from me and the Saudi 2020 and 2019 anniversary schemes from Ray:

The total number of downloads for the 14 Typhoon packages totals 2993 as of an hour ago, split 1018 Fs9 and 1975 (FSX/P3D).

Assuming people are downloading all 7 packages for their sim version, that would put the number of users at about 145 (FS9) and 282 (FSX/P3D). 13 users (outside of the development team) have posted thanks since the release, of which FS9 users are just 3.

I think I've reached the point where FS9 has become unviable. FS9 demand is significantly below FSX/P3D and It's hugely complicating having to keep switching between formats when so few FS9 users show any form of appreciation. I'm about half way through a new project that will keep to the 3 sim versions. After that, my intention is to drop FS9 and concentrate on FSX (also usable in P3D). The FSX format has suddenly become important because of the reported compatibility with FS2020, given the AI SDK and conversion know-how.

John
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

Hi John
Thanks for the update, I have all the packages in my P3Dv4 and the look great. I’m quite surprised you had not dropped FS9 earlier and with the information filtering through about MSFS it becomes even more irrelevant. I’m sure there will be howls from some but there has to be a point when things need to move on.

Regards
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin

Post by Firebird »

Pete,
Your sentiments maybe very valid however, taking into account that feelings that run high about this subject, it is best not to bring up such talk in the Typhoon thread.
Steve
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

John,
Count me as one of those 269 FSX/P3D users who have downloaded at least a part of the complete set and not said thanks.

Still haven't installed the Typhoons (nice weather and the real world got in the way) but should have said thanks for all the hard work.

Having seen the screenshots and your other models I'm sure that I will be blown away when I get time to install them.

Thanks

Gavin
msm8378
Captain
Captain

Post by msm8378 »

John,

Allow me to thank you for all you have done as well. I to am tardy to the party due to real life work. As an avid FS9 user I am sorry to see continued support dwindling, but fully understand.

Thanks Again to you and all the folks here at MAIW as well...

Mat
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Those Saudi paints are very cool! I love the green one best. Thank you for the new paints and all the Typhoons.
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Totally understand about FS9, John. While it won’t be what the hard-core FS9-ers want to hear, there is a huge back-catalogue of stuff for them to enjoy as long as they wish, and perhaps a cottage industry will develop in reverse-engineering FSX/P3D models and scenery for FS9!

It’s interesting that FSX has regained some relevance because of its relationship with MSFS. As far as I can tell, converting FSX aircraft to run in MSFS is a relatively simple matter, but several pro developers are producing stuff for P3D and MSFS in parallel. I wonder if they effectively develop an FSX version first (which will work in both newer sims) then separately enhance it for those two sims?

Anyway, your announcement helps me feel less guilty about not doing stuff for FS9! On which note, Pratica del Mare is finished for FSX/P3D apart from nominating some of the parking - in the progress of which I discovered it’s not actually a Typhoon base (doh!! Well, at least they visit) and I’m working on a photoreal Gioia, with Trapani to come. Both are new airfields using mostly MAIW libraries, with a few original new buildings. Not Manschy quality, but hopefully a little step up from the converted FS9 airfields in the MAIW hangar.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

Thanks Tim, I wanted to say that it was a difficult decision, but it wasn't really. The Typhoon project must have involved me in around 600 hours, never mind what everyone else spent on it. The FS9 element of my time was probably around 200 hours across all the components - aircraft - painting- scenery- flight planning and documentation.

It was a huge project and quite challenging to work across the 3 sim versions at the same time. It was great to work with everyone however and I could not have done it alone, but I've reached the point where I just have to drop the FS9 element for future projects - for my own sanity and to create some time for me to explore AI design for FS2020 once the know-how is in place.

In the meantime, I'm working on a more straightforward package that features two completely different AI aircraft. That will be my final package for all 3 sim versions, but it's a little way off completion yet so there is still something to look forward to for FS9 users. I'll spill the beans on that shortly.....

John
TimC340
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Post by TimC340 »

Look forward to it!
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

I can personally say that I get lost when producing repaints for both versions so I can immagine level of focus needed to manage dozen of kodels and few hundred repaints x 2
VIVA LA VIDA
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

As a FS9 user it's a sad news from John but I'm totaly comprehensive with that choice. We are only a few to still use FS9.

I would like to thanks John for all these models for all versions and particulary FS9 versions.

I hope I can change my configuration( or new PC) next year to use the new FS2020.