The website and forum will be intermittently unavailable while we're making some security updates.
File uploads to the download hangar are also disabled until further notice.

Saab 105++

Previews, discussions and support for projects by John Young.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Saab 105++

Post by John Young »

Something a little less complex after the Typhoon project, but with an interesting model and fewer dependencies – the Saab 105.

Surprisingly, the aircraft is actually a 4-seater with the capacity to install 2 further static seats in the fuselage behind the crew ejection seats. I haven’t yet fathomed how access to those seats is achieved.

I actually started the project a week or so before the Typhoon packages were finished and had seen the fairly poor response to the FS9 models after upload and made the decision in the light of that to discontinue work for that sim version. Since I started with an FS9 105 model, I decided to keep that version as well as the FSX and P3D options as well, to create 3 version packages as I’ve done previously.

The packages include 16 of the Swedish standard camouflaged trainers, plus the 7 aircraft of the Team 60 aerobatic team, the special white painted aircraft and the silver version from the Swedish Air Force Historic Flight:

The aircraft are based at Malmen (ESCF) near Linköping in Southern Sweden, but I could find no scenery of the airfield for any FS version, so decided to make some myself. That was a bit of a challenge because there are only a few photographs on the net. However, between Google Earth and a number of air show videos, I managed to view some of the buildings and used a bit of poetic license with the rest.

I have made all the flight plans using a mix of TNG circuits and visits to the nearby airfields of Satenas and Ronneby:

Both these airfields are available in the Download Hangar and work in the 3 sim versions. I have programmed Team 60 to visit Satenas on Saturdays and Ronneby on Sundays:

Both Satenas and Ronneby are Gripen bases and while those aircraft are in Mike’s Satenas package, Gert’s package for Ronneby does not include them, nor the Hkp14F helicopters that are also based there. We think there are some repaints for the Gripens, but have been unable to find them in the Hangar. I’m not sure whether Team 60 can actually park where I have put them at Ronneby if the spots are normally occupied by Gripens.

Two Swedish Defence Forces helicopter types are also based at Malmen – the UH-60M Blackhawk and the Augusta 109E (Hkp 15A/16A). I don’t think there are any of the A-109 models available (yet), but I have painted my Blackhawk in Swedish livery. I have included an overlaid helicopter runway at Malmen and added an invisible grass one to Satenas. Gert’s scenery already includes one.

Just as a little bonus, I included the Swedish Air Force Museum on the north side of Malmen:

All 3 FS versions include night lighting at Malmen thanks to Tim, who gave me an effect file for the P3Dv4 dynamic lighting:

I would normally be in a position to upload the packages in the next few days, but if you will bear with me for a little while longer, I want to make the Augusta 109’s (Hkp 15A/16A) helicopters – land based and naval, to complete the Swedish packages.

John
Firebird
MAIW Admin
MAIW Admin
Version: FS9

Re: Saab 105++

Post by Firebird »

As our Welsh friends would say - There's lovely isn't it!
Steve
TheFoufure
Colonel
Colonel

Post by TheFoufure »

John Young wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 09:12 I want to make the Augusta 109’s (Hkp 15A/16A) helicopters – land based and naval, to complete the Swedish packages.

John
Thanks again for this Saab model (and for the FS9 version ;-) ).

In the case of a hypothétic A-109 model can we expect Belgian version of A-109 ? (I can give all documentation (I already sent that to you some years ago ;-) ) (and with a FS9 version (the last one please)-.

Thanks a lot John.

Laurent
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

No, just the two Swedish military ones and a generic civilian one. There are just too many operators of this helicopter to get bogged down with variations and I want to complete the Saab 105 packages as soon as I can. I'll include FS9 models though.

John
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel
Version: P3D

Post by Joseph29 »

Nice looking model. I am not into the retro stuff, but I will install the Blackhawks that are in this package. :)

Doesn't Austria use this plane currently? Or is that a different version of this plane?
shaggy22
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by shaggy22 »

Joseph29 wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 13:10 Nice looking model. I am not into the retro stuff, but I will install the Blackhawks that are in this package. :)

Doesn't Austria use this plane currently? Or is that a different version of this plane?
The Swedes still use the 105's, as do Austria with the 105OE's, basically the same thing as the Swedish models. However Austria are looking at replacing theirs, don't know what with yet
Dan

"Cluster bombing from B-52s are very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground"

Twitter: @DRAviography
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/DanReevesAviography/
Joseph29
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Joseph29 »

Sweden still uses the 105? I did not know that. I thought they were all retired.
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

I was holding off revealing the Austrian packages a) because there was enough to digest in the Swedish post anyway, and b) I wanted to see how long it would take for someone to ask for them. I can say, though, that the Austrian aircraft, flight plans and scenery tweaks have also been done.

The Austrian version of the Saab 105 has some differences to the Swedish models. The engine exhausts are different, as are the aerial arrangements. Strangely, the Austrian main undercarriage doors also have an additional hinge that splits the long doors and angles the outer sections downwards. Some of the aircraft also supplement the Austrian Typhoons in the air defence roll with tank mounted guns.

The aircraft are based at Linz on the military side of the airport:

There is some good FS9 scenery available and I have tweaked the default scenery for FSX and P3D. The 105 traffic has been programmed for local IFR TNGs at Linz and also visits to Zeltweg and to Neuburg in Germany:

I’m not entirely sure that the 12 aircraft on the Austrian Air Force inventory are all operational - Scramble says they are , but hey ho, who can resist those tiger schemes - certainly not me.

John
JohnTenn
Major
Major

Post by JohnTenn »

Thanks John

Good looking models.

Thank you for the FS9 version.

John
Delboy99
Captain
Captain
Version: FSX

Post by Delboy99 »

Hi John

These look superb as ever.

A big thank you for the massive contribution you make to MAIW. I can't begin to imagine how much time and effort you must put into producing these incredible packages. I, for one, really appreciate it and can't wait to add these to my sim.

Del
f4nutter
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by f4nutter »

they look great John, thank you very much :D
petebramley
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by petebramley »

John, you have done it again. These Aircraft and their paints look fantastic. Looking forward to adding them into my sim. Thank you !
Pete B
Retired and busier than ever !!
miljan
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by miljan »

Austrians have no problem with maintenance as much as they have with number of pilots.
VIVA LA VIDA
tango234
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by tango234 »

Nice work!
gavinc
MAIW Conversion Team
MAIW Conversion Team

Post by gavinc »

John,
I've said it before but it is worth repeating.

When do you find time to eat and sleep??

Thank you so much for these nifty aircraft (which I had never heard of until your posts), not to mention all the bonus material you put into the package.

Looking forward to spending more time in Sweden.

Gavin
Victory103
Colonel
Colonel

Post by Victory103 »

Very interesting project and I've always seen them as a sort of "T-37ish" SWE trainer. AFM had an article on them a few years ago and the cockpit configuration was a cool feature leaving me to think of ways to export one.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS
NAVY SAR

-Chris
mins
Captain
Captain

Post by mins »

It's a great job.^ ^b

I want to learn John's outstanding ability.

an infinite dream.
VulcanDriver
MAIW Staff
MAIW Staff

Post by VulcanDriver »

Wonderful stuff. Thanks John
John

"That is the biggest fool thing we have ever done. The A-bomb will never go off, and I speak as an expert in explosives." - Admiral William Leahy
Garysb
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by Garysb »

Cracking !!!!!!!!!
Thanks John
I believe that every human has a finite number of heart-beats. I don't intend to waste any of mine running around doing exercises.
Buzz Aldrin (1930 -
John Young
MAIW Developer
MAIW Developer

Post by John Young »

gavinc wrote: 03 Nov 2020, 23:25 I've said it before but it is worth repeating. When do you find time to eat and sleep??

I can assure everyone that I love eating food and I get at least 7 hours sleep a night.

I've been creating scenery and aircraft in MSFS for many years now and I know how to use Gmax and graphics programs quickly and efficiently. I'm a Lark not an Owl and make use of that fully when the house is quite for a couple of hours early morning and another 3 or so spread at different times of the day depending what else I'm doing that day. I am a bit of a process person having had a background in efficiency and project management. I also keep a few bits of Lego in my desk drawer. It's great for visualising how undercarriage linkages work so that I can create the right paths in Gmax animation:

Above all, I enjoy what I'm doing.

John